Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

Kerbal Stuff is a new community-run website for modders to distribute their mods on. It's open source (Python+Flask, with PostgreSQL for persistence) and on GitHub. Pull requests are welcome.

Use this thread for feedback, bug reports, feature requests, or whatever else you want to talk about.

[Mod Edit: Domain now points to something dodgy :/]

Edited by technicalfool
Removed link.

Great, good job, but... username specs are far too much restrictive (3-12 chars) !

EDIT: And I just register to get a 502 error :huh:, but registration worked...

There is some more work to do I guess.

Edited by Justin Kerbice

I've add some stuffes but as edit is not noticeable unless you take a careful look at it, I add some more things here:

- can't create mod (go to main page)

- create a new profile go to main page too

Bumped to 24.

Not very smart IMHO, many people want more than 12 chars and they have to wait who knows how much weeks/months for just a single parameter value ? Seriously, it's not good if you want to make your site more crowded than curse.

I've add some stuffes but as edit is not noticeable unless you take a careful look at it, I add some more things here:

- can't create mod (go to main page)

- create a new profile go to main page too

Hmm, I don't see any errors logged. Did you get the confirmation email? You might have gotten bitten by a recent deployment, the site hiccups for a second whenever I push code.

Not very smart IMHO, many people want more than 12 chars and they have to wait who knows how much weeks/months for just a single parameter value ? Seriously, it's not good if you want to make your site more crowded than curse.

I'm not sure I understand. You complain that 3-12 characters is too restrictive, so I bump it to 3-24 characters, and you're still not happy with it?

Hmm, I don't see any errors logged. Did you get the confirmation email? You might have gotten bitten by a recent deployment, the site hiccups for a second whenever I push code.

I'm not aware of email sent (as the 502 error occured I did't get any "you'll receive a confirmation email soon ..." page), get it.

I'm not sure I understand. You complain that 3-12 characters is too restrictive, so I bump it to 3-24 characters, and you're still not happy with it?

AAAhhh my bad, sorry, I understood 24 as KSP 0.24, as the next release is quite a hot topic since a few weeks.

(also "bumped to" sometime means postponed/delayed)

Thanks.

Who exactly is "many"? Don't generalize.

Of course but looking at user's nicknames here, it's not so rare to see more than 12 chars used. And 12 chars was one of the shortest limit I ever seen for an account name on a website as far as I remember (many use mail address as login which is far more than 12 chars unless you got tiny domain names).

I'm not aware of email sent (as the 502 error occured I did't get any "you'll receive a confirmation email soon ..." page), get it.

Can you PM me your email address? I'll see if I can find which black hole your registration email disappeared into.

Can you PM me your email address? I'll see if I can find which black hole your registration email disappeared into.

No need, I got it, thanks.

Any plan to add tags/categories ? (propulsion, command pod, electricity, rocket, plane, etc, and also plug-in, utility, tools)

No need, I got it, thanks.

Any plan to add tags/categories ? (propulsion, command pod, electricity, rocket, plane, etc, and also plug-in, utility, tools)

Yes, I mentioned the near-future plans in the original post.

Wow, congratulations! Just some requests:

1. Could you make the scrolling a little smoother, if possible?

2. When you add categories (yes, I know that you said it on the OP so I'm not asking for it), could you add a "Craft Files" category? That way, this could also be a craft repository!

Thanks!

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Nice work, I'm very impressed. Drop me a line if you need help with page content like privacy policy, upload guidelines, etc. I've much of the community's contributions on file for my implementation.

Nice work, I'm very impressed. Drop me a line if you need help with page content like privacy policy, upload guidelines, etc. I've much of the community's contributions on file for my implementation.

I would appreciate those things, thanks. Would make my life easier if I don't have to write those from scratch.

Wow, congratulations! Just some requests:

1. Could you make the scrolling a little smoother, if possible?

2. When you add categories (yes, I know that you said it on the OP so I'm not asking for it), could you add a "Craft Files" category? That way, this could also be a craft repository!

Thanks!

Regarding scrolling, I'll see what I can do. Regarding craft repository, I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but I'll think about it.

You might want to enforce strict character limits on the info blurb that goes below the mod's title. It seems fairly easy for these descriptions to be too long to fit in the box, which kind-of defeats the purpose of them.

You might want to enforce strict character limits on the info blurb that goes below the mod's title. It seems fairly easy for these descriptions to be too long to fit in the box, which kind-of defeats the purpose of them.

I'll think about it. Longer descriptions are easily readable on featured mods, so I'm not sure about making it shorter.

You rush this thing together in a few hours? Visually ugly and lacking all around.

Wow what an unusually helpful and insightful comment you have. Please show us your open-source space port replacement, so we can comment on it.

First and Foremost, there is no need to insult someone working on something for the community, working for free on their own time. Be respectful, there is no reason to insult others even if you don't like what they've done.

Secondly, if you must be negative, using nonspecific terms to describe your dislikes about any product simply isn't helpful. Stating something is ugly or simply "lacking" doesn't offer much of any usable feedback for its creator. Being specific and saying, "I don't care for how the background looks" or "The buttons color scheme makes them hard to read/use" are helpful. I've admined many forums and designed many clan websites, and I know first hand just how frustrating comments like "I don't like the forum layout" can be.

Thirdly, being constructive is the most helpful. Explaining how you would improve a project is much easier and more helpful for the creator to work off of. By simply offering a suggestion like others have already done in this topic, you give the creator a direction and/or an idea to build off of that they might not have been thinking about before.

At any rate, I for one plan to spend a few hours later today sorting threw the website to see if I see anything that might be helpful for the author, and I hope others will do the same too.

Edited by Keldaria

• Users get emailed when mods update

This is my most wanted feature from a mod repository ever (yes, I'm a mod user only).

As for the design, it may not be impressive, but it doesn't need to be. The site primarily needs to be functional, and that seems to be the case. Just one thing: the full-picture background is nice, but it gets annoying when you want to read a mods description. You could maybe put all the text parts in boxes like the mods on the 'browse' page, that helps with reading and still allows a screenshot-based background.

You rush this thing together in a few hours? Visually ugly and lacking all around.

I focused on functionality before aesthetic, which is something I strongly encourage developers to do. I'm very open to hearing suggestions on the style, though, now that most of the functionality is in place.

Edited by SirCmpwn