Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

Is there an API?

I was going (and started) to make my own open source space port rewrite. The main reason being I wanted a backend for mod managers. I have about 20+ mods installed and keeping track of them (especially as their folders are named badly sometimes) is very hard.

If not would you be willing to expect a pull request if I forked it and added an API to access: the users account details; the users list of mods; the support version for each mod; the mods version.

This would let me write a mod manager to automatically keep track of what mods I have installed and also when each mod is updated to support a new version of KSP. (as my current update plan consists of deleting my GameData folder and reinstalling KSP)

I just added more features to the API in my last pull request (dunno when the code will be live). You can now search for public users and get a list of their mods, search for mods, query for the default and latest version of mods, get information and download link for individual mod versions... a whole bunch of neat stuff =D. The code is here: https://github.com/SirCmpwn/KerbalStuff/blob/master/KerbalStuff/blueprints/api.py

Some sample output from my dev environment: https://gist.github.com/testeddoughnut/2d4f2e172707cf78e530

SirCmpwn,

Well done, Sir. Well done. <clap, clap>

I did not know of Curse before the recent implementation, but have come to dislike it's approach. You, sir, have found the niche.

Registration, a quick, simple two-stage process - check.

Personal Profile, private by default - check.

Presentation, aesthetically pleasing minimalism - check.

Relevant Information, available at a glance - check.

Updating, contact users - check

Suggestions:

I have read through this entire thread, something I rarely do (just search, generally) and a couple of points have been raised that I tend to agree with. Mamma always said, "Never come to a party with a problem unless you have a solution".

Presentation: I do like the implementation of the background images being shown as the page is scrolled. How you managed to do that with different images and multiple listings is, personally, amazing. Love it. DON'T LOOSE IT.

The layout you have at the homepage I find a bit less than desirable, but only in that there is sooo much of so little. Let me explain, I've large resolution monitors (3x). I'm sure there are many individuals out there still using 1024 displays so having multiple columns might not work for them. But, for those of us above 1600, the excess real estate can be a bit off-putting; drowning almost. Is there a chance (I'm sure there's a way) to allow for multiple columns if the resolution supports it? Even just splitting the screen would make it easier on the eyes. On the 'Browse' page it would also make getting to the desired section just a little bit easier.

Menu: Speaking of navigation, it was mentioned before that the menu had been removed. I would suggest that you bring it back; having to scroll to the bottom to reach 'Top Mods' can be a bit tedious. You could just make the 'Kerbal Stuff' link a drop-down menu linking to the section header. It stays with the minimalism aesthetic and won't clutter the design. As the site grows, you'll probably want to do something like this anyway, but going out to a separate page as the many mods with make scrolling gods-awful.

The 'Browse' page you do have should stay. Keep the list of the most active in each category. Maybe even exclude a listing from the other two if it is already present in one category. Featured should definitely be on a rotating timer of some sort, but weighted to favor those mods not listed in 'Top Mods'. Newest should also incorporate some kind of timer on it and maybe, if enough time has passed there are no "newest". Top Mods are just that and if you don't make a mod that players MUST have well, ya kinda won't be front-page news now will ya. Though I imagine you have something up your sleeve for all that.

P.S. Notch up the count to eight, it's more auspicious. (It's a Feng-Shui thing, okay.)

Mod Page Images: Again, mentioned before, the images should expand. Really, they need to expand on mouse-over. Having to click on a image and having to click-back (or close a tab) to the mod is painful. If I want to see a FULL-sized image, then I'll click. Until then, I just want a, slightly bigger, image; probably about twice the size shown.

I do like the automated scrolling and the external source (YouTube, Imgur, ...) incorporation.

Opinions are like nipples, everybody has them. Some have firm points, others are barely discernible through layers, and some are displayed at every opportunity regardless of whether the audience has stated "I am interested in your nipples" or not.

Thanks for your support, and for the detailed feedback.

Presentation: I do like the implementation of the background images being shown as the page is scrolled. How you managed to do that with different images and multiple listings is, personally, amazing. Love it. DON'T LOOSE IT.

You and me both, bud. We're alone in our love for it, though, so this will probably change.

The layout you have at the homepage I find a bit less than desirable, but only in that there is sooo much of so little. Let me explain, I've large resolution monitors (3x). I'm sure there are many individuals out there still using 1024 displays so having multiple columns might not work for them. But, for those of us above 1600, the excess real estate can be a bit off-putting; drowning almost. Is there a chance (I'm sure there's a way) to allow for multiple columns if the resolution supports it? Even just splitting the screen would make it easier on the eyes. On the 'Browse' page it would also make getting to the desired section just a little bit easier.

Hmm. I'll think about this, but no promises.

Speaking of navigation, it was mentioned before that the menu had been removed. I would suggest that you bring it back; having to scroll to the bottom to reach 'Top Mods' can be a bit tedious. You could just make the 'Kerbal Stuff' link a drop-down menu linking to the section header. It stays with the minimalism aesthetic and won't clutter the design. As the site grows, you'll probably want to do something like this anyway, but going out to a separate page as the many mods with make scrolling gods-awful.

The browe page will be made much easier to navigate, I don't think this will be as relevant soon.

The 'Browse' page you do have should stay. Keep the list of the most active in each category. Maybe even exclude a listing from the other two if it is already present in one category. Featured should definitely be on a rotating timer of some sort, but weighted to favor those mods not listed in 'Top Mods'. Newest should also incorporate some kind of timer on it and maybe, if enough time has passed there are no "newest". Top Mods are just that and if you don't make a mod that players MUST have well, ya kinda won't be front-page news now will ya. Though I imagine you have something up your sleeve for all that.

The browse page is and has always been a temporary thing. I will radically change it. As for featured mods, the popular mods won't be featured normally - I just want the home page to communicate that a few important mods are listed here, while we're still new.

Mod Page Images: Again, mentioned before, the images should expand. Really, they need to expand on mouse-over. Having to click on a image and having to click-back (or close a tab) to the mod is painful. If I want to see a FULL-sized image, then I'll click. Until then, I just want a, slightly bigger, image; probably about twice the size shown.

Are you asking for a hoverzoom-style thing on the screenshot lists on mod pages?

Are you asking for a hoverzoom-style thing on the screenshot lists on mod pages?

Exactly, on the scrolling images. Hover stops the scrolling and enlarges the image. Nothing ostentatious; just something a bit larger so you can actually discern text. Then, if I want, I can click the image and get it is all it's glory (or not, depending on what the modder has uploaded).

Just my 0.02,but in reality, everything is up to you. It's your baby and you should always have final say.

(You really gotta keep the image scroll trick.)

Edited by TranceaddicT

Exactly, on the scrolling images. Hover stops the scrolling and enlarges the image. Nothing ostentatious; just something a bit larger so you can actually discern text. Then, if I want, I can click the image and get it is all it's glory (or not, depending on what the modder has uploaded).

Just my 0.02,but in reality, everything is up to you. It's your baby and you should always have final say.

(You really gotta keep the image scroll trick.)

Hovering does stop it from scrolling, but doesn't enlarge it (of course). I'll consider changing that behavior, but it's not a high priority.

You and me both, bud. We're alone in our love for it, though, so this will probably change.

Not entirely alone. ;) It's not traditional, but I think it has a good "teaser" sort of feeling, and like that it's not the same as everything else.

Could it be possible to make updated mod are displayed in top of new mod list ?

Does it sounds good/useful enough to be considered to be added ?

(it makes sense to let people know, especially the non followers, there was an update)

Could it be possible to make updated mod are displayed in top of new mod list ?

Does it sounds good/useful enough to be considered to be added ?

(it makes sense to let people know, especially the non followers, there was an update)

Recently updated mods are given a bump in the rankings.

Recently updated mods are given a bump in the rankings.

mmm ok but low ranking mod may stay far below displayed list even with this "bump".

At least, until we got a fully browsable list (even a lllooonnngggg one in a first release, then a paged one later).

Would it be better to give them a fresh date to make them displayed on top of newest mods ?

I appreciate your work.. But do we need more fractured modding sources than we already have? Curse seems fairly adequate at this point.

As a long time modded minecraft player I would like to say the answer to this and frankly any question dealing with the necessity of curse alternatives is always "YES".

A few questions which have probably been answered already :P

- After submitting a mod, how long does it normally take for it to be moderated and included in the DB?

- Is this when a modder can then tweak, edit and review their submitted mods? I couldn't find any such features after submitting a mod.

I appreciate your work.. But do we need more fractured modding sources than we already have? Curse seems fairly adequate at this point.

Joined 3 months ago, only posted twice (and one of them was deleted) and the only post we can read of you, what a coincidence, is bashing the main community project against curse.

Not suspicious at all.

Yesterday I installed KSP again (after a break because of...stuff) and started reinstalling Mods. Then 24.2 hit and broke some stuff _again_. So I went to sleep and when I got up this morning, I had e-mail updates from Kerbal Stuff that FAR had updated and DebRefund is compatible. Thank you so much just for that feature!

EDIT: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SirCmpwn again." :(

A few questions which have probably been answered already :P

- After submitting a mod, how long does it normally take for it to be moderated and included in the DB?

- Is this when a modder can then tweak, edit and review their submitted mods? I couldn't find any such features after submitting a mod.

New mods appear immediately, and you can tweak and edit your mods any time after submission. You do have to hit "Publish" on your mod for it to appear to the public, though. You can edit your listing with the various extra tabs you get when viewing listings you own.

Joined 3 months ago, only posted twice (and one of them was deleted) and the only post we can read of you, what a coincidence, is bashing the main community project against curse.

Not suspicious at all.

Yes, must be a conspiracy. No, I don't mean any disrespect. If someone can do something better or provide a more robust outlet for mods, I'm all for it.

One issue, I guess:

header: when upload is completed, no pic displayed but upload link appears again.

And the related feature: could we have a choice to pick one previously uploaded pictures as header ? Just to avoid duplicate uploads when using one of the pics.

Also, more feedback from website would be welcome (on error: nothing is displayed, we don't know what's going on in fact, kind of "faith leap" :) )

EDIT: mod is published without clicking on "publish mod" button by editing changelog (not sure of this, I have check media, text, add a changelog, and... mod was published without my agreement :mad:)

Edited by Justin Kerbice

One issue, I guess:

header: when upload is completed, no pic displayed but upload link appears again.

And the related feature: could we have a choice to pick one previously uploaded pictures as header ? Just to avoid duplicate uploads when using one of the pics.

Also, more feedback from website would be welcome (on error: nothing is displayed, we don't know what's going on in fact, kind of "faith leap" :) )

EDIT: mod is published without clicking on "publish mod" button by editing changelog (not sure of this, I have check media, text, add a changelog, and... mod was published without my agreement :mad:)

What is your username? There's a known issue with header images that have been scrolled off-screen.

I don't think I'll add a feature to avoid uploading twice.

Feedback on errors is in the TODO list.

As for publishing the mod when you edit the changelog, I'll see what I can do. Which mod is the one in question?

What is your username? There's a known issue with header images that have been scrolled off-screen.

I don't think I'll add a feature to avoid uploading twice.

Feedback on errors is in the TODO list.

As for publishing the mod when you edit the changelog, I'll see what I can do. Which mod is the one in question?

the needed data:

KerbiceGroup

Rover'N'Others set 1 (mod 78 according to its URL)

I don't think it was off-screen but don't look for it too.

Why don't adding it ? Picking a pic from already uploaded set save some bandwidth, storage and time.