Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

Because they have a legal contract with Curse, and now they have to. I was surprised they even mentioned it in the other day's post, it's even more than I expected them to do.

Well, then this makes sense.

I might not even be surprised if Squad got some money in the deal too. After all, curse is a business too.

Well, then this makes sense.

I might not even be surprised if Squad got some money in the deal too. After all, curse is a business too.

They didn't.

...then package that mod with every KS download as standard.

(joke)

Good idea! :)

Why aren't all the modders using Kerbal stuff? It's a far better system than Curse Forge in my opinion, are there legal reasons or what?

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's down ATM, probably due to increased demand due to a new update?

EDIT the site's back up for me now.

Why aren't all the modders using Kerbal stuff? It's a far better system than Curse Forge in my opinion, are there legal reasons or what?

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's down ATM, probably due to increased demand due to a new update?

It's probably because they want to be paid. I believe curse has some sort of monetization nonsense.

It's a matter of personal preference. Many just go with Curse because it's the official repo. Can't argue with that logic to be honest, but others choose kerbalstuff because they want to support the community initiative. Many more just don't care about either and host on github, dropbox, or stuff like that.

I have to be honest though: KS has had 2 major blackouts in little over a month. I love it and will keep supporting it, but so far it doesn't have a particularly outstanding service record :(

It's probably because they want to be paid. I believe curse has some sort of monetization nonsense.

You'd need to have an insane amount of downloads to gain even a noticeable amount of money. A famous modder I won't name said on the IRC channel that with all the money he made from curse he could have bought about 2 cups of coffee, and he has a *ton* of downloads there. I guess that any amount is better than 0, but still, not a real difference.

Site is back up. I am on my phone, so I will more properly investigate later tonight. It appears to be the same transient issue encountered for a while now. Please email me at majiir.net if something happens again.

If all modders use KS, curse hosting for KSP would "die" naturally, but it's not gonna to happened anytime soon.

I have to be honest though: KS has had 2 major blackouts in little over a month. I love it and will keep supporting it, but so far it doesn't have a particularly outstanding service record :(

Are "official" servers better ? :huh:

502 error on he forum on daily backups, store out of order soon after each update released. For such allegedly "professional" managed servers, it's a real shame.

Are "official" servers better ? :huh:

502 error on he forum on daily backups, store out of order soon after each update released. For such allegedly "professional" managed servers, it's a real shame.

Can't argue with that :)

probably due to increased demand due to a new update?

I don't think so. Server load due to KS is actually quite small. The earlier downtime was caused by an application server crash. The mod downloads are served by the web server, not the application server, and that's the most intensive process.

Based on what I've seen so far, and the performance improvements added in the last few days, I expect KS can take 5-10 times more traffic without issue, and I think 10-20 times more traffic is doable with some improvements without requiring additional infrastructure. These are, of course, just guesses.

I have observed these crashes previously, and they were dismissed earlier as a fluke. It seems there is a real problem here, so I'll be digging a little deeper.

I have to be honest though: KS has had 2 major blackouts in little over a month.

I'll call it one major outage. This one was fairly minor. The first outage was completely my fault, but that problem has now been thoroughly resolved.

I'll call it one major outage. This one was fairly minor. The first outage was completely my fault, but that problem has now been thoroughly resolved.

Eh, but this time happened at a fairly critical time.

I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful, because I'm really not: the service you are doing for the community is stunning, really. For what I've seen, the rest of the community agrees, and I really hope it will get even better :)

Hi, I have a feature request, which I did raise via email, but this seems a better place as we can discuss it.

Universal Storage is hosted on my own site, mainly because we want to use multiple pages to showcase all the packs and we didn't like Curse's EULA.

I love Kerbal stuff and want to provide access to our mods there, but we don't want to have the hassle of multiple download locations.

Would it be possible to have an option to link to a URL in the download button rather than a local file? This way people can follow externally hosted mods on Kerbal stuff and if they click the download button, be take to the download location?

Hi, I have a feature request, which I did raise via email, but this seems a better place as we can discuss it.

Universal Storage is hosted on my own site, mainly because we want to use multiple pages to showcase all the packs and we didn't like Curse's EULA.

I love Kerbal stuff and want to provide access to our mods there, but we don't want to have the hassle of multiple download locations.

Would it be possible to have an option to link to a URL in the download button rather than a local file? This way people can follow externally hosted mods on Kerbal stuff and if they click the download button, be take to the download location?

Not likely. You'd lose download stats and hosting for previous versions and such.

Quick question-- My Joolian Discovery mod has over 15,000 downloads, mostly from late last week. Are these legit, or phantom hit counts? I ask, because I'm surprised by the number, but also the referral list doesn't show anywhere near that kind of number.

Looking at the stats, 11'000 downloads in one single day... but not one follower. :confused:

Edited by slumpie

Any chance you can tell me what server platform KS is running on? I would like to setup a dev copy so I can play with the code locally. (Tried on Ubuntu server, no joy.)

The OS is CentOS 6, but it shouldn't matter much.

Quick question-- My Joolian Discovery mod has over 15,000 downloads, mostly from late last week. Are these legit, or phantom hit counts? I ask, because I'm surprised by the number, but also the referral list doesn't show anywhere near that kind of number.

The server is incorrectly counting requests with Range headers (which result in HTTP 206 responses). The stats will be regenerated after that's fixed. Consider them phantom hits for now.

Not likely. You'd lose download stats and hosting for previous versions and such.

Understandable, but people hosting on other sites don't have those anyway.

Last time I looked 500 people had downloaded Universal Storage from Kerbal stuff despite big letters at the top of the description telling them not to. Ideally I'd like to save them the trouble (and you the bandwidth) of downloading a zipfile containing instructions of where to go to actually download the mod.

Understandable, but people hosting on other sites don't have those anyway.

Last time I looked 500 people had downloaded Universal Storage from Kerbal stuff despite big letters at the top of the description telling them not to. Ideally I'd like to save them the trouble (and you the bandwidth) of downloading a zipfile containing instructions of where to go to actually download the mod.

If you aren't hosting the mod on Kerbal Stuff, then why have an entry at all? Conversely, if you want an entry on Kerbal Stuff, why not host the mod there?

If you aren't hosting the mod on Kerbal Stuff, then why have an entry at all? Conversely, if you want an entry on Kerbal Stuff, why not host the mod there?

I want an entry because I want to make sure users have access to the mod and can follow it to receive updates. I'm not hosting it there, because Universal Storage has 7 packs and I don't want to have to maintain 7 separate entries when I can have them all on the same page on ksp.kingtiger.co.uk

I could have it in both, but then I would have to maintain 14 downloads.

As it is currently I have a download link in the Kerbal Stuff description and a zip file containing installation instructions and nothing else. The problem is a large number of people (552 and counting) hit the download button without reading the description.

A better solution might be allowing multiple files per project on KerbalStuff - its something I would possibly use for Novapunch too by splitting up the large pack into smaller chunks, would also allow things like alternate configs, skins, compatibility downloads to also be hosted in a separate file.