Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

Squad is known for listening to its community, so listen to them now. Ditch Curse and give your support to the community run program.

What have you been smoking? Squad is a marketing company and marketing 101 is "ignore everything everybody says forever until you're rich", Squad applies that teaching in everything they do. There could be no mods on Curse and Squad would still side with them; but there aren't no mods on Curse, this is a major victory for KS but the bigger question right now is "how many mods are unique to each service?" and "how many mods are on both". That's not an easy thing to determine so maybe the crowd can figure it out. Now we want to be able to say that KS has the most exclusive mods.

While I think its cool to see the growth of KS. Is the real measure of competition success not really how many downloads are occurring? I would think that player use is much more important metric than Coder use. I dont suppose we can see those numbers though

While I think its cool to see the growth of KS. Is the real measure of competition success not really how many downloads are occurring? I would think that player use is much more important metric than Coder use. I dont suppose we can see those numbers though

You can see the download stats for every mod on both sites.

FAR, the most popular mod on KerbalStuff, has just over 400,000 downloads. Mechjeb, the most popular on Curse, has about 550,000.

Considering, again, that the 'mods and addons' button in the game links to Curse, that's pretty remarkable.

Squad didn't listen to any concerns of the community, they promised spaceport 2 but silently planned a move to curse and they shut spaceport down while the community asked and pleaded not to for some very genuine reasons, so they didnt listen to any of that its ancient history now. We now have a snazzy new site called Kerbalstuff thanks to some very dedicated people which is awesome and far exceeds curse and the old spaceport in functionality and appeal.

Edited by Virtualgenius

You can see the download stats for every mod on both sites.
Thanks Sur
FAR, the most popular mod on KerbalStuff, has just over 400,000 downloads. Mechjeb, the most popular on Curse, has about 550,000.

Considering, again, that the 'mods and addons' button in the game links to Curse, that's pretty remarkable.

Yeah those numbers are cool... although not sure why I need to consider again :wink:

Hmm, I'm trying to upload a mod to Kerbal Stuff, but the progress bar at the bottom always freezes when I'm trying to upload it, usually at around halfway. Does it haft to use CKAN? Because I'm always unchecking the CKAN box.

Check your zip file you're uploading, I had some issues with it accepting RAR archives back when it was in Beta, that may be the same thing occurring to you. It worked fine with a ZIP.

Quick question-- Do the mods still not properly auto-submit to CKAN, needing a manual submission, or does it just take time to come through? Just curious since the mod I uploaded today isn't showing in CKAN, even though I had the checkbox on for that when created.

Quick question-- Do the mods still not properly auto-submit to CKAN, needing a manual submission, or does it just take time to come through? Just curious since the mod I uploaded today isn't showing in CKAN, even though I had the checkbox on for that when created.

It's just no-one got around to accept the pull request... But your addon was o.k., so I accepted it just now.

You should see your addon in CKAN within the hour, when the daemon gets around to re-build stuff.

There is a huge list of stuff from LazTek, though, which I really need to have a closer look into. They don't work well with the default netkan created by kerbalstuff and therefore need (lots of) manual rework.

• 2 weeks later...
No, I haven't looked into this yet. It's on my list of things to do when CKAN is ready for stronger integration.

If I could add my 2 cents to this, my mod (MovieTime) doesn't see anywhere the volume that MechJeb, FAR and the others, but I do see an anomaly that I don't understand... I have 3 releases (.2, .3 and .4), and the download stats show .2 as being downloaded much more often than .4, in spite of the fact that all my links point to the .4 download. Seems weird.

If I could add my 2 cents to this, my mod (MovieTime) doesn't see anywhere the volume that MechJeb, FAR and the others, but I do see an anomaly that I don't understand... I have 3 releases (.2, .3 and .4), and the download stats show .2 as being downloaded much more often than .4, in spite of the fact that all my links point to the .4 download. Seems weird.

My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that you're seeing two different things here:

Some mods (mine included) have unrealistically inflated download numbers, because HTTP range requests (such as resuming an incomplete download) will each count as a full download. There have been some days where restarted downloads numbered in the thousands for some reason, showing a huge spike in apparent downloads.

The other one, with older versions showing lots of downloads, I think is CKAN's polling, which for some reason gets counted as downloads more for some versions than for others, also creating phantom download numbers.

That is, if I understood correctly the answers I got to the same questions. :)

You do it the other way round... You provide (or ask a contributor to do so for you) a netkan file to CKAN, which in turn is used by a daemon process to periodically ask kerbalstuff for new releases.

The "CKAN" checkbox on your mod page just simplifies the initial creation of the netkan file (which in and of itself is a huge help)

• 3 weeks later...

Grats on the 500 :)

I love how easy and straightforward it was to publish my mod (IntakeBuildAid) there, big thanks for making KerbalStuff.

And I'll line in with the others with the question on where the downloads to older versions come from. Isit from CKAN?

I think its quite unusual that someone wants an older version (except when you play with an outdated KSP version).

Also, there is a weird download spike of over 7k on a single day - that was more that all downloads summed up until then.

I don't mind, in fact I'm glad that it helped many others building stuff. I am just wondering.

…

I think its quite unusual that someone wants an older version (except when you play with an outdated KSP version).

…

Sometimes a new release of software introduces a new bug. In that case users might wish to revert to an earlier version until it's fixed. It's also good to keep old versions around as a historical record.