Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

He chose the latter, which is sad.

Yeah I agree, Im just saying that he is not to blame, I mean we are all sad about KS's shutting down but we shouldn't blame SirCmpwn for doing so.

And right now, a group of people are trying to rebuild KS, here is the link http://spacedock.info/ but there is nothing in it,yet

1 minute ago, mark7 said:

Yeah I agree, Im just saying that he is not to blame, I mean we are all sad about KS's shutting down but we shouldn't blame SirCmpwn for doing so.

Enabler

(Also I'm just trolling now but initial post was heart-attack serious. I have no tolerance for suicides and I see too many similarities here to look at it any other way.)

Edited by Styles2304

2 minutes ago, mark7 said:

And right now, a group of people are trying to rebuild KS, here is the link http://spacedock.info/ but there is nothing in it,yet

Dang! Those dudes act fast :D

Just now, mark7 said:

Well that is where we will differ.  He is absolutely to blame.  He had the control.  He could have passed this along gracefully.  He could have even put up a warning ahead of time. (hey here is my decision, I'm warning everyone as my hosting will expire in 2 weeks).

Instead he decided to go out the rudest way possible.  And in doing so he undermined years of good will in one act.

I'm glad someone is rebuilding.  I hope they have a way of restoring all the history etc.  And I hope they setup a patreon to keep it funded.

5 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Well that is where we will differ.  He is absolutely to blame.  He had the control.  He could have passed this along gracefully.  He could have even put up a warning ahead of time. (hey here is my decision, I'm warning everyone as my hosting will expire in 2 weeks).

Instead he decided to go out the rudest way possible.  And in doing so he undermined years of good will in one act.

I'm glad someone is rebuilding.  I hope they have a way of restoring all the history etc.  And I hope they setup a patreon to keep it funded.

I agree, a heads up would have been nice. 

Im pretty sure KerbalStuff was well-loved by many peoples, despite recent problems. So, im sure that people will bring it back within a few days, maybe even a few hours!

But, like i said before, we could make a new improved version. Bigger, Faster and with more functionnality, however, we should stay in the main "spirit" of the original KerbalStuff (No ads, simple and friendly interface, CKAN support and much more).

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Well that is where we will differ.  He is absolutely to blame.  

Fine, we have different opinions.

But it doesnt matter so much right now, caz I think we share the same opinion that we should make a contribution to the new KS, one way or another.

2 minutes ago, mark7 said:

Fine, we have different opinions.

But it doesnt matter so much right now, caz I think we share the same opinion that we should make a contribution to the new KS, one way or another.

I have to say, in spite of the awkward exit, what SirChmpwn did was pretty awesome. CKAN auto updating alone, for modders and users, was terrific. As a modder I definitely feel the loss. But, it's great that the community is so responsive and moving in an optimistic direction!

Just now, mark7 said:

Maybe some ads will be acceptable, but it just me.

Well, it depends. I don't want big ads that cover half the screen or 9000 ads that open up before the stuff i want. Small ads, sure, if it helps covering the cost but i think that with a monthly cost of around 200$ we could easily covert that with donations

22 minutes ago, jeffQC1 said:

Well, we should take the chance to make a new and improved version of kerbalstuff. Just like a 2.0 version

I'd say the version number 1.1 is in the trend today :)

1 minute ago, jeffQC1 said:

Well, it depends. I don't want big ads that cover half the screen or 9000 ads that open up before the stuff i want. Small ads, sure, if it helps covering the cost but i think that with a monthly cost of around 200$ we could easily covert that with donations

I'd say that choosing an ad platform will be a pretty important decision, because different platforms have varying technology levels (read bandwidth) as well as revenue options. For instance google ads are very performative, but don't pay very well per impression.

Just now, Ser said:

I'd say the version number 1.1 is in the trend today :)

Oh yeah, you're right. KSP community haven't stop growing and improving since many years. However, is there any threads or topics we can follow to contribute to the reactivation of Project KerbalStuff 1.1?

50 minutes ago, Styles2304 said:

I'm bummed that it shut down for convenience reasons but I'm more disappointed in the attitude expressed in the explanation to be perfectly honest. From what I can gather it was shutdown for 3 reasons:

1. Feelings were hurt because SQUAD didn't acknowledge kerbalstuff and tried to protect their brand
  2. Feelings were hurt because kerbalstuff received negative feedback from users?
  3. It was too expensive

No call was put out for funds that would have undoubtedly poured in had they been asked for. No ads were placed to offset the cost which would have been annoying but understood. And, as previously mentioned, no request for someone else to take the mantle was made. It seems to me to be more akin to a suicide than anything else...specifically where you hope everyone else is sad and at a loss when you remove yourself from their lives. Then, to make sure it hits the way you want, you leave the note about how terrible everyone was in hopes to garner pitty.

Not impressed.

Dude, seriously, QFT! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

1 minute ago, Bonus Eventus said:

I'd say that choosing an ad platform will be a pretty important decision, because different platforms have varying technology levels (read bandwidth) as well as revenue options. For instance google ads are very performative, but don't pay very well per impression.

I suppose that decision will be up to those that bring back up the replacement. I'm open to ads, as long that they don't become overwhelming.

4 minutes ago, jeffQC1 said:

Well……You know what, 200$ is not a big deal, but 200$ monthly……Better not totally rely on donations. And, yeah, me too dont want big aids or too much aids.