Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

13 minutes ago, m4v said:

Funny, I never had any issues with my uploads to Curse. You guys might want to tone down the rhetoric.

One persons rhetoric is another persons anecdotal. Or sumfin. In my personal experience, attempting to upload larger files compared to smaller files is unreliable. To the point where it would take dozens of attempts and hours of my time.

19 minutes ago, Ignath said:

I will not use that outhouse of an advertisement and malware pusher that is Curse ever again.

Well, it's good that the vast majority of modders are sensible enough to host their mods in multiple places, thus ensuring that there is no single point of failure and that you have a choice of service providers to get mods from.

I'd also suggest you avoid any and all web sites that have any advertising anywhere, because that's how the "malware infection" got onto Curse (and indeed, the KSP forums), many moons ago.

31 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

And you left out other parts of that post such as "...  I guess I'll upgrade the server to a better one when I have time " which in context of that post certainly doesn't make it sound like a warning of impending shut down.

I just don't know how to adjust it, I just posted the link to the post and that was what it auto-displayed.

1 hour ago, Ignath said:

Edit:  And thanks to @SirCmpwn for all his tireless effort and monetary contribution to this game that we all love.  Sorry the constant negativity of things overwhelmed the massively positive thing you did for all of us who use mods.

I'd like to echo this sentiment -- aside from all the expressions of frustration or disappointment. It was still an awesome, awesome contribution, and if all we're faced with is a bit of a hiccup as the massive archive is migrated, then @SirCmpwn's efforts in documenting and open-sourcing the project is STILL contributing positively to the community.

Cheers to all.

@SirCmpwn I would also like to thank you for all the time and effort you put forth, I am sorry things turned out the way they did. It was a good run while it lasted.

By the way, you're awesome.

Also I would like to offer my services as a volunteer for anyone who decides to pick up the project.

I am mostly a programmer, but I have some web development experience. (plus a ton of linux experience)

I believe that horse is not only out the door, it has passed through the next county, led a productive life, and has long since been turned into glue sticks.  

SpaceDock, which aims to be a replacement, is of course alive and well (and just starting up).

On 15.2.2016 at 9:05 PM, technicalfool said:

I'd also suggest you avoid any and all web sites that have any advertising anywhere, because that's how the "malware infection" got onto Curse (and indeed, the KSP forums), many moons ago.

Can't tell if sarcastic. Especially because I really, really want to do that. Advertising has gotten beyond horrible. Adblock will do I guess...

Also, malware is stuff users don't want on their computers. If a program installs soemthing else, it's malware... dunno if the case, but popups and "recommendations" in the client, are signs of, if not malware as in it was installed by  the user, it's certainly unwanted adware.

Not much sympathy from me, I feel like this "lack of positive feedback" is made up as there were a heck a lot of people using it and large amount of praise.... also this was not the best way to close the site at all(and this feels like a way of getting at squad) 

Other than the way this was dealt with, the site was an amazing alternative to curse and hopefully people can come up with an alternative. 

15 hours ago, Boamere said:

Not much sympathy from me, I feel like this "lack of positive feedback" is made up as there were a heck a lot of people using it and large amount of praise.... also this was not the best way to close the site at all(and this feels like a way of getting at squad) 

Other than the way this was dealt with, the site was an amazing alternative to curse and hopefully people can come up with an alternative. 

Can? Are -- it's already up:  http://spacedock.info/

• 1 month later...

After shutting down Kerbal Stuff two months ago, I received a flood of gratitude that I didn't know cared. Thank you. I was wrong about how the you felt, and I'm sorry that I let the silent majority down. Despite the emails  encouraging me to keep the site up, I was confident that the community would step up and fill the void effectively. Knowing that the community would heal itself made it easier. In the time since, I'm not sure that belief has held true.

https://strawpoll.me/7392137

26 minutes ago, SirCmpwn said:

After shutting down Kerbal Stuff two months ago, I received a flood of gratitude that I didn't know cared. Thank you. I was wrong about how the you felt, and I'm sorry that I let the silent majority down. Despite the emails  encouraging me to keep the site up, I was confident that the community would step up and fill the void effectively. Knowing that the community would heal itself made it easier. In the time since, I'm not sure that belief has held true.

https://strawpoll.me/7392137

Why do you even need to ask this question? Considering that you took KS down with no warning, broke hundreds of links across the forums (and elsewhere) and then implied Squad was to blame, I don't think anyone would pick KS over Spacedock.

Certainly, Spacedock is having some teething problems. Their team acknowledges them and is working on them,  and hasn't had the audacity to blame Squad.

It's not even a comparison anyways. KS is down, and by your own admission never coming back, and fishing for compliments with straw polls at the expense of Spacedock does both you and them a disservice.

I think you're misreading my tone, and I hope I'm misreading yours, as it's not very befitting of a moderator. I've kept an eye on SpaceDock and it's being taken in a direction that is a severe departure from the direction of KS, and many people have reacted negatively with no signs of change from the maintainers. I wasn't sure if it was a vocal minority expressing complaints, but I came here to see if that was the case. In the same way that Squad took the liquid when the community complained about Curse, I want to see that SpaceDock doesn't. The results were about what I expected, and that's fine. I'll leave it to them, and hope that the direction they take it works well.

Edited by SirCmpwn

4 minutes ago, SirCmpwn said:

I think you're misreading my tone, and I hope I'm misreading yours, as it's not very befitting of a moderator. I've kept an eye on SpaceDock and it's being taken in a direction that is a severe departure from the direction of KS, and many people have reacted negatively with no signs of change from the maintainers. I wasn't sure if it was a vocal minority expressing complaints, but I came here to see if that was the case. The results were about what I expected, and that's fine. I'll leave it to them, and hope that the direction they take it works well.

KerbalStuff was a website that set the baseline for what a modding website should be. It was made to serve as an alternative to CurseForge after the SpacePort website went down, and once the community saw what you made it was hands down the best option. I for one was in the silent majority who loved the website but never spoke.

Now, we have SpaceDock. Now some are satisfied with how it filled the void that you left with KS down, but I am in the portion of the community that does not like SpaceDock's path of development.

If you were to make KerbalStuff again, I for one, would most definitely be behind it every step of the way since you set the benchmark once and as I see it (I am only one), SpaceDock has made a deviation from what I want, leaving you a chance to once again set mark as to what's the best choice for a modding website.

But what you choose to do is your choice. Regardless of that choice, I will finish this post by saying you made a massive impact on this community and no doubt shaped it for the better thanks to your fantastic website. I hope that you continue to make a fantastic impact on the KSP community.

41 minutes ago, SirCmpwn said:

I think you're misreading my tone, and I hope I'm misreading yours, as it's not very befitting of a moderator. I've kept an eye on SpaceDock and it's being taken in a direction that is a severe departure from the direction of KS, and many people have reacted negatively with no signs of change from the maintainers. I wasn't sure if it was a vocal minority expressing complaints, but I came here to see if that was the case. In the same way that Squad took the liquid when the community complained about Curse, I want to see that SpaceDock doesn't. The results were about what I expected, and that's fine. I'll leave it to them, and hope that the direction they take it works well.

Whatever you think of his tone, and moderator or not,  the sentiment is spot on.

Honestly, given this is a thread for a dead service, the best thing a mod could probably do is lock it down as well.  Nothing really more to be said here that hasn't already.

3 hours ago, SirCmpwn said:

After shutting down Kerbal Stuff two months ago, I received a flood of gratitude that I didn't know cared. Thank you. I was wrong about how the you felt, and I'm sorry that I let the silent majority down. Despite the emails  encouraging me to keep the site up, I was confident that the community would step up and fill the void effectively. Knowing that the community would heal itself made it easier.

Circumstances often make us take decisions based on less information than we would've liked in hindsight. Not much one can do about that. At the time, stopping was the right decision for you, because you were burned out. The fact that you placed the DB and code up for continuation speaks of consideration for the community. That after you've had some time to recover and reflect you even consider a revival tells me that your break did you well: you managed to overcome what burned you out. That's really all that should matter, so don't let regrets spoil your recovery.

I am not voting on the poll, because I consider it not relevant. I'm not against the idea of KerbalStuff coming back, I appreciated the service it offered and this break does not change my opinion of it. At the same time, I would keep using SpaceDock as well, they have their own view on the interface and it's under development, but for me it has worked well. Ideally, the two would coexist (and who knows, maybe cooperate).

58 minutes ago, SirCmpwn said:

I've kept an eye on SpaceDock and it's being taken in a direction that is a severe departure from the direction of KS, and many people have reacted negatively with no signs of change from the maintainers.

I wouldn't say it's a severe departure. The basic service is the same. There's a different view on the interface offered, but remember that at your departure, you mentioned having ideas for an overhaul that didn't get realised. If you had found reason and energy to go on with that in the past months, who knows what KerbalStuff would look like by now? They took up where it was, and with that initial burst of energy they decided to do some work on it. Not really that unexpected, I think.

We users are a fickle and ungrateful lot. One moment we're in a cheering mood cause someone stepped up and 'rescued' us from the dreaded Modless Void (or the Forge of Curses, whichever scares you most), the next moment we're complaining because said saviours don't give us 99.999% uptime and flawless execution. Don't give complaints too much energy.

There is of course a third option your poll did not mention: perhaps offering assistance with SpaceDock. VITAS did mention they are shorthanded at the moment.

Hello everyone, I'm well aware that the recent multigame/design change scared some people somewhat, but I voice chat with vitas all the time and try to voice concerns I have. I'm definitely on the conservative side of things knowing we have a lot of people that love spacedock the way it was, but the restructure isn't yet finished ;)

If you've got a problem with spacedock, voice it to us. VITAS and I will listen to it, I regularly warn him of potential pitchforks and angry mobs and things to avoid (I strongly oppose social media features like comments as I guarentee modders *will* ignore them), but trading ideas and having back and forths is how progress happens. If you have concerns, criticise us. Don't bottle it all up inside, just voice your opinion - preferably in the spacedock IRC or I'll skype/mumble/hangout as forums are a rather aweful way of doing back and forths as it looks like flaming, and I don't want to liquid off forum moderators.

TL;DR If you don't like what we are doing tell us, I promise no matter what you say, I won't get hurt fee-fees :P

i might add: oure pre alpha version is on dev.spacedock.info

it doesnt work all the time and is subject to change but you can see what were working on.

in addition to that beta.spacedock.info is oure staging enviroment to iron out the last bugs before going into production.

As mentioned before we are shorthanded and need every coder, gfx person or html/css guy whos willing to help.