Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

4 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Squad should man up and support Kerbalstuff as they are the reason it was created, by either donating funds or providing some hosting for it if they hadnt backdoored everyone on the curse debacle perhaps we the community may have come up with amiable arangemant

Well...

http://downoruprightnow.com/status/kerbalstuff.com

It's been down for a little while now.  I don't think it's going to last much longer.  It's a shame.

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

It's been down for a little while now.  I don't think it's going to last much longer.  It's a shame.

Well, i hope it lasts at least a couple more months, till I can grab all the old versions of mods for my archives... :(

8 minutes ago, stibbons said:

I have 

a) 15 years professional sysadmin experience
b) a little bit of cash to spare to offset hosting costs

How can I donate one or both of these to help keep KS running?

I second both of these (sort of).

The archiving ability KerbalStuff has is to valuable to lose, in my personal opinion. Another thing that that I love is the emails I get when a mod updates. I don't have a ton of cash at the moment, but I'm willing to put some down to help the hosting costs. It'll have to wait till next month sadly due to how paychecks work... :(

If @SirCmpwn would tell me where I can direct the payment, that'd be swell.

Edit: Well, I just noticed that SirCmpwn hasn't been on the forums since December 9th. That's no fun...

Edited by FiiZzioN

Losing this gem is one hell of a punch in the gut for me, and for the KSP community at large. Upmost Respect to SirCmpwn for seeing this project through this far. Here's hoping we as a community can come together to get this site back up again one day soon.

Edited by zekew11

26 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Yeah, SirCmpwn has decided to close KerbalStuff. Man, this screws CKAN up. If Squad had only endorsed KS rather than Curse...

Hello, where have you seen that SirCmpwn has decided to close KerbalStuff?

4 minutes ago, Malah said:

Hello, where have you seen that SirCmpwn has decided to close KerbalStuff?

See kerbalstuff.com:

Kerbal Stuff is shutting down

On June 1st 2014, I started working on Kerbal Stuff. 20 months have passed. 1,191 mods have been uploaded and 20,407 users registered with the site. Today, I am officially closing Kerbal Stuff. I'll explain how it came to this.

I built Kerbal Stuff after the announcement that KSP mods were to be officially moved to Curse. At the time, and still today, I did not feel that Curse would do right by the kommunity. I stepped up to build an alternative that would be much better than the mess Curse would provide. I built Kerbal Stuff to do right by the kommunity where Squad wouldn't.

I opened up a beta and got some modders on board, and Kerbal Stuff was very well received. It's fair to say that Kerbal Stuff decisively won the battle over Curse, providing hosting for nearly double the number of mods. It boils down to Kerbal Stuff simply being better at it. Kerbal Stuff had no ads for its entire lifetime, emailed users when their mods updated, and cared more about the modders and the players.

Undoubtedly Kerbal Stuff has had a direct impact on Squad's revenue - how many players must have hopped back into Kerbal Space Program after getting an email about their favorite mod receiving an update? In the past month, despite frequent downtime and slow page loads, Kerbal Stuff has served 1.2 million page views over 279 thousand sessions for over 84 thousand unique visitors.

As thanks, Squad continues to endorse Curse as the official source for KSP mods. They refuse to even mention Kerbal Stuff in public. During the early days, they even pursued me legally for the use of the word "Kerbal" in the name.

Even setting Squad aside, running Kerbal Stuff is a largely thankless job. In fact, for the most part, I just hear complaints. Most people don't actually care about the effort put into it. Whenever I've taken the time to add features or make improvements or meet the requests of users, no one has shown any appreciation. I stopped volunteering my time and energy to extend this website, because my efforts were always met with silence or complaints.

I don't have expectations of anyone. I don't expect anyone to gush over how great any new features I implement are. I don't expect Squad to support Kerbal Stuff as the official source for mods. However, these factors have contributed to the apathy I have for the ongoing maintenance of Kerbal Stuff. I'm not willing to invest more of my time and energy into making Kerbal Stuff faster or more stable. I have been well aware of the slowness and instability, but I simply have no motivation to fix it.

I would like to thank those who have been supportive. Thanks to the volunteer admins for helping maintain the site. Thanks as well to the modders who chose to host their mods on Kerbal Stuff, and the users who chose to use it as their source for mods.

All of the mods hosted on Kerbal Stuff are available via this torrent. The source code for Kerbal Stuff will continue to be available on Github. I can be reached at[email protected].

- Drew "SirCmpwn" DeVault

Has anyone actually taken a look at the file structure of that torrent? I just did, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... I don't currently have the space for 60GB so that I can sort through it properly, but with that file structure there's no way to find the individual mods I want.

Well, anyway, here's a magnet link to the torrent (I think that should work)

2 minutes ago, StarkRG said:

Has anyone actually taken a look at the file structure of that torrent? I just did, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... I don't currently have the space for 60GB so that I can sort through it properly, but with that file structure there's no way to find the individual mods I want.

Well, anyway, here's a magnet link to the torrent (I think that should work)

It's sorted (for the most part) by author name. It's still a freakishly large file.. 61.5 gb...

There is discussion on reddit of a community-driven re-boot that may be of interest to those here. With a good show of support this could potentially be less of an end and more of a change of caretakers, allowing us to keep our kerbalstuff and SirCmpwn to take a much deserved indefinitely long vacation from its daily maintenance.

4 minutes ago, StarkRG said:

Has anyone actually taken a look at the file structure of that torrent? I just did, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever... 

Looks like a straight dump of the application's data directory. Top level is usernames and a unique ID, next level is mod name. The directory structure makes more sense in combination with the database. Not sure yet if it asking for a database dump would be productive or if it's better to start from scratch.

2 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Looks like a straight dump of the application's data directory. Top level is usernames and a unique ID, next level is mod name. The directory structure makes more sense in combination with the database. Not sure yet if it asking for a database dump would be productive or if it's better to start from scratch.

Yeah, I'm starting to see a slight order, still requires figuring out the mod author's directory. And there's a whole load of nearly empty directories too.