Less memory usage by using OpenGL

Eisfunke

Config:

AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor

12 GB RAM

GForce GTX 550 Ti

Windows 7 x64

With -force-opengl, I got economy of about 0.8 GB RAM, and graphics glitchy as hell.

In full screen, only bottom-Left part of screen is drawn, other 3/4 is filled with darkness, with dark gray waves, when I move mouse. I was not able to load game to the test craft.

In windowed mode, I managed to load game up to the SPH and load test craft, but everything looks shabby, and, due to the fact that window is bit bigger then raw screen, small part of border in missing.

The Solution to the partial black screen in fullscreen is super simple. Just minimize the game with [Win] + M then maximize again by clicking the icon. It worked for me at least. Seems to be an issue with the current unity version.

I am running KSP 0.90 on a windows 8.1 machine with a GTX 780 graphics card and when I open up the the shortcut properties the target field is not in quotations. I have tired both "-force-opengl" and "--force-opengl" and neither seem to work. Any of you run into this problem? I've done some internet searches and haven't found any that seem to address this issue. Thanks in advance for the help! 

I am running KSP 0.90 on a windows 8.1 machine and am using a GTX 780 graphics card and when I open up the the shortcut properties the target field is not in quotations. I have tired both "-force-opengl" and "--force-opengl" after the .exe and neither seem to work. Any of you run into this problem? I've done some internet searches and haven't found any that seem to address my issue. Thanks in advance for the help! 

I am running KSP 0.90 on a windows 8.1 machine and am using a GTX 780 graphics card and when I open up the the shortcut properties the target field is not in quotations. I have tired both "-force-opengl" and "--force-opengl" after the .exe and neither seem to work. Any of you run into this problem? I've done some internet searches and haven't found any that seem to address my issue. Thanks in advance for the help! 

It should be without quotations, just -force-opengl. With that being said, I am also on Windows 8.1 with a high end ATI graphics card the HD7950, OpenGL causes my game to flicker and it only shows one fourth of the screen, it used to work. :(

You can try it, if it doesn't work you are out of luck.

Does anyone else experience/have a fix for the new "gizmos" in 0.90 being bright pink when using OpenGL? On the offset tool it's a circle between the arrows and on the rotate tool it runs round the inside of each of the rings. If I switch to DirectX it shows translucent grey circles, so it's like the texture's alpha is broken or something. Only problem I've had with OpenGL since I first started using it.

Around 1.5GB less memory used here. Seems to be at the cost of 10-30fps reduction, although it's still running at 100+ fps :)

Hi all,

I just found a fix, at least on my end. I run the game in window mode (yes that sucks) but i used an app that runs the game borderless, as in full screen but just faking it.

here's the link: http://westechsolutions.net/sites/WindowedBorderlessGaming/download

You can use '-popupwindow' to run the game in borderless mode.

Well, around 1GB less RAM usage for the 32bit .90 client, was hovering on crashes every few launchpad loads and now that doesn't happen. Only two negative aspects - First, FPS is down 5-10 in busy scenes. Complicated launchers are almost always yellow up in the corner now. Second, the opengl flag seems to dislike the -popupwindow flag. It still works, and I do get borderless windowed (as every game should have as a default option, don't even get me started), but tabbing back and forth isn't smooth. When KSP loses or gains application focus there's a momentary reset (flicker) of both my screens I'd rather not be there. But it only lasts a quarter of a second so it's not a big deal.

I'm rolling with a 560GT that loves overheating, so I did expect the framerate loss though.

Edited by Immashift

Hi.

I need a little help getting OpenGL to work with KSP.

I have Steam's Launch Parameters set up to run the game using OpenGL. But when I launch the game, it instantly CTDs and it says "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution."

I have a GTX 770 with the latest drivers, my resolution is set to 1768x992 and I play on a borderless window. A solution is highly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I just tried out OpenGL mode, was astounded by the memory reduction, but the performance was abysmal.

Specs:

Win7

AMD Phenom X4 3.0 Ghz

12 GB RAM

AMD ATI 6850, 13.12 catalyst drivers

~459 MB worth of mods

Performance comparison:

Direct3D - new game, sitting at KSC screen: ~60 fps, 3.3 GB usage

OpenGL - new game, sitting at KSC screen: ~15 fps, 1.8 GB usage

Oh well, guess its back to texture reduction if I want anymore mods installed.

OpenGL decreases ram usage dramatically (~50% less) and increases fps a bit on large vessels (i can view my 500+ parts space station in 60fps, high graphics settings). However, i get some weird graphics glitches (whole screen flickering, parts of the screen went black after loading and some other things). Switching to other windows and back fixes most of them, but not all

CPU: i7 4790K

GPU: nVidia 760GTX

RAM: 8GB

I have Linux installed, too. Performance is really bad there (1-2 fps in KSC overview :()

Edited by rudi1291

I'm not sure if I should put it in a separate Tutorial topic, I'd probably start it here as a comment:

I've found a way to 2.1x - 3x multiply my FPS in OpenGL mode on my nVidia GTX 770 card.

First of all:

- I have 2.76Gb Game Data folder.

- Game runs at 2.5Gb memory usage at menu upon loading winth ACM and OpenGL forced and Half-Res textures. (around 2.8-2.9 at DX)

- Game clock is always yellow for me in OpenGL. Even with 10 parts craft my game speed were reduced like 1.1-1.3 times to normal.

- Average FPS (according to Fraps) was around 15 when I see no significant lag, and comes to 7-10 with 80+ parts Multi_Docking_Nodes crafts.

- Tested in DX mode and got like ~30 average FPS with 45+ parts rover and ~27 with the same rover + it's lander for a total about 80+ parts. About ~20 FPS with complex multi dock 150+ parts space ship (not notable lag with just my perception).

- Now after implementing this solution I run 30+ FPS with the same Rover+Lander 20+ with the craft mentioned above + some minor service crafts around it like unmanned 30+ parts probe coming in dock etc.

So, you have nVidia card and your game runs super slow? Try this one:

1. Open your nVidia control panel (right click on the nVidia icon at the system tray -> Open nVidia control panel)

2. Open "Manage 3D settings" dialog (refer to screenshot attached)

3. Find or add KSP.exe to the listed apps

4. Turn Threated Optimization ON.

5. Tune other settings as you thing your rig should manage to bare.

6. Save and run the game.

7. Post if it helps you or not.

FPJV6xv.jpg

"-force-opengl" in KSP Steam version worked like a charm! Many thanks! Also did the tweaks from nVidia Control Panel. I'm occasionally getting flickering screens and some black squares, but they disappear after minimizing to windows and returning to the game.

"-force-opengl" in KSP Steam version worked like a charm! Many thanks! Also did the tweaks from nVidia Control Panel. I'm occasionally getting flickering screens and some black squares, but they disappear after minimizing to windows and returning to the game.

Dont forget to specify your system settings.

Im using an i5, Radeon 7670M, 4GB ram with Win7, and openGL actually worked worst than Dx9/11

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.