Less memory usage by using OpenGL

Eisfunke

Lower your monitor resolution, start the game, then put your monitor resolution back up.

I normally run 1900x1200, but need to switch to 1440x900 for a few seconds top launch opengl mode. I can get the game launched by the time Windows reverts me back to 1900x1200 automatically.

How do I change it out side of the game?

This came up recently here.

Big thanks to Tankman101, who found he could run KSP at one resolution setting below his maximum, so try deleting your settings.cfg, start KSP and don't use the settings that matches your screen resolution.

Started KSP after deleting the settings config. Getting the exact same message with the exact same dimensions even though a new config was created upon running the game which has 1280 x 720.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait! Nvm, it's gone. just had to run the game without open gl first. :P

Also , AFAIK unity's physics is singlethreaded , making i7 with virtual cores suffer (dont know about new 4xxx and 5xxx series , but on older ones disabling hyperthreading helps)

Stuff like moving ksp to ramdisk or separated core does not help a lot, new unity's multithread physics may help.

This is true. I just did a search to see if this was known yet or not. My rendering performance approximately doubled by disabling hyperthreading. Went from eight logical cores to four, and utilizing more than 27% of the CPU now instead of 15%.

I have the i7 4790.

I'm using KSP 1.0.4 x86 (32bit) on an x64 machine, running it from steam, and I've seen that it has no loading bar on startup. it generates 'witty' loading hints, but it seems it isn't loading.

EDIT: itr is loading, but Kerbin is purple on start (probably from EVE)

EDIT : All of the menus are missing

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

Ever since upgrading to 1.0.4 -force-opengl does nothing for me. I have a 1.08GB GameData folder, half-res textures in settings. Eveyrhting still not converted to .dds by default I did myself. Even so the moment I'm in the Space Centre viewthe game uses 3.1GB of RAM. Regardless of running in OpenGL, DirectX9 or DirectX 11. Previously on 0.90 with RSS and a huge number of part mods(1.6GB GameData folder) my game ran at around 2.8GB of RAM. Any ideas how to fix this?

• 1 month later...

I am trying to not use OpenGL because it gives me some problems can anyone help to solve the problems

1.if I do OpenGL first during the loading I see a black square blocking 1/4 of the loading screen.

2.with OpenGL sometimes If i distturb the loading to much the screen goes black.

3.running in OpenGL if the game starts I can see ksp at 1/4 screen other screen is black.

4.running in OpenGL if I go to settings or credits it would not show it up it just shows the loading screen.

• 2 months later...

Several versions ago I tried OpenGL without much luck. Game performance went down about as much as memory usage. Totally unplayable.
Today I decided to give it another try and to my surprise it actually worked this time. However I lost all anti-aliasing and all shadows. Any ideas (apart from not using OpenGL) on how to get those back.

Edited by Tex_NL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any idea why using the -force-opengl command line parameter in my KSP-64.exe shortcut would result in the game being rendered in a shifted and reduced size? (as in, the initial loading screen with the Squad Logo and the witty loading comments progress bar is noticeably smaller and shifted toward the bottom/left of my monitor: once game loaded, screen was black [apparently the game's main pane was being rendered below the area of my monitor?])

My rig:

MSI MS-7821 mobo, Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 3.9GB

My guess is that either my VGA or my game resolution settings (1600 x 900) are not playing nice with the -force-opengl parameter.

I noticed about reduction of initial RAM use by the game of about 100% (drop from 7.9 to 5.4 GB) so I'd like to figure out how to take advantage of this, but graphics stuff is not a strong suit . . .

ADDIT: ah just noticed that " -force-glcore" command . . . might have to try that: also found this:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html

Edited by Diche Bach

• 8 months later...
13 minutes ago, StickLabs said:

Is there any way this could be fixed because I was just opening my save and I just saw THIS...

You'd have to ask Unity. We should all know by now Squad doesn't look at things that can be blamed on Unity...
As for why Unity doesn't officially support OpenGL on windows: :confused: It's not like OpenGL is unusual or anything.

58 minutes ago, steve_v said:

You'd have to ask Unity. We should all know by now Squad doesn't look at things that can be blamed on Unity...
As for why Unity doesn't officially support OpenGL on windows: :confused: It's not like OpenGL is unusual or anything.

Oh, ok.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.