Less memory usage by using OpenGL

Eisfunke

For me the change to opengl + atm basic has become a no brainer since i had no crashes whatsoever since then, textures are nice and performace is very good. Normal was crashes once every 30min. Nvidia card here, and 5-6 gb of gamedata. This was very helpful, thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...
when forcing the game into using OpenGL instead of the standart Direct3D as rendering system, KSP uses significantly less memory.

-snip-

Direct3D: Crashes while loading at about 3,223,600K ≈ 3.07GiB

OpenGL: 2,266,200K ≈ 2.16 GiB

Difference: 0.91GiB

You see: By switching to OpenGL I could save almost a whole GiB of memory and get my KSP to start with all my mods!

-snip-

It may be the case that OpenGL uses less RAM, but not all systems have or support OpenGL. Especially integrated systems with iGPUs, like the latest Intel (Ivy?) Sandy bridge CPUs that can actually be used to play most games now. Not all graphics cards support OpenGL too. AND I also know that on some games, using OpenGL instead of DirectX (or Direct3D) actually REDUCES framerate. I know that this is the case with several games I own, with the most notorious being Minecraft. All-in-all, although OpenGL may reduce your RAM footprint, it is not supported on all system, and MAY reduce framerate. I'm not saying it will with KSP, but it MIGHT. I haven't done any testing, so I can't prove it. Anyway, this is all I have to say about this. :) Not meant to be mean or anything, just pointing out some oversights.

ToTheMun

NOTE: I have not read any posts past the OPs, so sorry if someone has already said this.

Just tried it.

System:

i7-980X, 12 Gb RAM, GTX Titan 6 Gb, Windows 7SP1 x64

KSP: 0.24, 32-bit

Mods: ATM (basic config), Deadly Reentry, DMagic Science, EVE, FASA, KAS, KJR, KW Rocketry, Mechjeb, NEAR, RLA Stockalike, Skylab (FASA version), SCANSat, Station Science, Tarsier Space Tech, Universal Storage (core and KAS), World Cup DLC

DirectX: 2,4 Gb

OpenGL: 1.35 Gb

Game runs slightly (very slightly) slower in OpenGL than in DirectX, nothing serious though.

Bugs:

- Game reverts to windowed mode after Alt-Tab (Alt-Enter fixes that)

- Sounds is somewhat jagged (I usually disable all music and turn other sounds down to 20%, so I hardly noticed that)

Before using OpenGL, I was forced to choose what mod to add next - NovaPunch or Near Future.

Now, I think I'll throw in more. MUCH more :) It is sad that KSO is not on a good terms with FAR\NEAR and DRE - otherwise it would be the prime choice.

For the first time I menaged to run the game with B9 + KW without a single memory accss violation error. There is a slight FPS drop but it's understandable (my specs are: CPU i3-530 GPU GT240, Win7SP1 x86 so pretty low end) also the game crashed once when accepting settings and crashes every single time I alt-tab. In both cases it looked the same: game switched to window mode, except the only thing visible is the loading screen (I use ModManager if that changes sth) and stops responding (has to be killed by task manager). Music doesn't stop so I supposed it's a graphics-related crash.

Besides that, shadows are sometimes jerky and music sometimes randomly stops but these are minor.

Reduced my usage from 2.8GB to 1.8GB, but noticeable drop in framerate, especially in the VAB and SPH when most of it is on screen (Rather than looking straight down)

I suspect AMD cards will have a rougher time running OpenGL than nVidia

Here's a list of my mods

bmyfn5T.jpg

All that for only 1.8GB in usage isn't bad at all. I also use ATM. If only the framerate hit wasn't so terrible when using OpenGL

Phenom X4 955 3.2ghz

4GB Ram

HD7850

Win7 64bit

Edited by Sabor

Many people (myself included) see HUGE FPS drops with OpenGL, despite the RAM savings. My game is virtually unplayable using OpenGL on a 4.6GHz Devils Canyon system with 2x 780ti cards in SLI.

Thats strange as hell. Just tried myself to force opengl in windows 7 64 bits, ksp 32 bits, nvidia gts 450. It cuts the memory usage by half of that used by directx and there's also a sensible fps boost. I suspect unity implementation of directx backend is poorly optimized, or even trashed on purpose, probably cause the unity devels do not enjoy M$, since that "company" even tried to kill opengl at some point in history.

Yes, strange... I am using x64 and 77+ mods. 2.177 GB ram used. No noticeable fps drop so far. Have had to 'ease' into mods to make sure all worked and played nice with each other, but openGL has made a HUGE difference in my play.

Hi,

Some fps drops in vab maybe...nuthin serious...major memory upgrade but game still only playable for an hour due to memory crash which is slower this time; tree crashes out and I replace the tree with my upgraded one every game restart - works like a charm.

No 64bit for me yet.

Zeta

Major improvements for me on memory usage, and only a minor hit to FPS. And at the same time, GPU temps fell through the floor. Wasn't sure what, exactly, to expect, but I'm happy with the results.

As for my machine, it's certainly non-standard. I built it so that other than swapping GPUs out for better ones when that time arrives, I won't need a CPU upgrade for... quite some time. I did the survey, you can find my rig in there from the comments section. Mine was done with the official KSP 64 bit, though.

There's a mod that add a lil' FPS counter at the upper right corner. Can't find the link right now, though. You'll have to search, sry

No, I refuse to search. I want it handed to me on a silver platter.

(Seriously: I hadn't heard of this one. Thank you.)

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I can also report that I reduce the memory usage by as much as 50%. I could remove the active texture management mod and it still runs fine. However, having many interfaces open on the screen seems to lower the FPS significantly. Hiding the interface, I get 55-60fps, but the second I show it again, I drop to 25-30. It's still playable though, but if someone has suggestions or ideas, let me know.

I suspect AMD cards will have a rougher time running OpenGL than nVidia

It's likely. ATI had a long track record of terrible OpenGL support in their drivers. It's gotten a little better under AMD, but not much. I always recommend nvidia cards to people who make heavy use of OpenGL as they've always had pretty good support for it.

I'm so grateful for this thread, because it allowed me to start using 32-bit KSP again! I save about 1G of RAM using OpenGL, and I don't see any FPS drop or other performance hits. If anything, it runs smoother for me in OpenGL. I'm using more than 30 mods, and without OpenGL, I get perilously close to 3.5G or more of RAM usage, and crashes start. So far, not a single crash in OpenGL after 3 days of steady play.

I'm running Win 7 64-bit edition, 12G RAM, nVidia card. I completed the survey.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.