[1.1.3] MunSeeker Mk1 Greenhouse (TAC Life Support add-on)

munseeker

Here is a greenhouse designed for TAC life support, based on the stock KSP cupola model. It converts Electricity (lots of it!), Waste, Carbon Dioxide and Waste Water to Food. There is some loss in this process, so the crew will still need to be supplied.

YAbxjGe.png

Growing food in a cramped greenhouse in zero G is very energy intensive. One Mk1 greenhouse uses about 1.4 Electrical Units per second, or about 5000 per hour (the RTG produces about 0.75/second, so two RTGs could supply one Mk1 greenhouse).

My goal was to realistically extend the food supply for a crew of kerbonauts without completely removing the need of regular resupply missions. This is a good companion to the TAC Carbon Extractor and Water Purifier. The greenhouse is heavy and needs oodles of energy, so its use requires careful consideration.

The greenhouse supports Connected Living Space and Kerbal Crew Transfer and provides crew science reports.

The greenhouses should live in the /GameData/MunSeeker folder.

UPDATES for July 30, 2016:

- tested with KSP 1.1.3

One Mk1 greenhouse will use 100% of the waste products of 3 Kerbals (waste, waste water and carbon dioxide) and supplies them with 30% oxygen, 60% water and 70% food of their total needs. Model is based on stock Cupola.

Download here:

https://github.com/MunSeeker/Greenhouse-Mk1

This project is licensed non-commercial share-alike with attribution.

Edited by munseeker
Tested against latest KSP

Coming Soon: I'm now working on supporting CLS - Connected Living Space ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70161-0-23-5-Connected-Living-Space-%28API%29-v1-0-6-0-%289th-June-2014%29?highlight=connected+living+space ).

Will have to figure out what I have to do for that, but I guess/hope it will be just an addition to the greenhouse config file.

Thanks!

Yes, not getting 100% of everything back was a key feature of this mod. I want to make role playing in KSP with TACLS more varied and interesting, not necessarily easier.

I wasn't happy with the existing greenhouses since I felt they didn't use enough energy for the return provided - this one fixes that and gives you a good reason to bring big batteries if you ever expect to encounter shadows. :-)

IVA: It would be great, but I've just started out with modding and haven't looked into creating my own models yet. But in the long run I'd love to add IVA - it's why I left space in the greenhouse for one Kerbal. I very much enjoy the idea of one the Kerbals taking care of the plants during a mission.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing the progress. Same here I wasn't happy with the other greenhouse mod and MKS was just too complex to be fun in the long run. I'm gonna try out your greenhouse, I just hope the model doesn't clash too much with the KSO Station Parts I use :D. Keep up the good work.

Maybe you could check out one of helldiver's live stream when he does an IVA, give you an idea of how best to do it. Just a suggestion :).

Yes, not getting 100% of everything back was a key feature of this mod. I want to make role playing in KSP with TACLS more varied and interesting, not necessarily easier.

Question. With this lossy process, does your craft end up loosing mass over time? If so that is fine and we can chalk it up to leakage? This has a nice stock-a-like look that i love. Thanks :)

In reality the non-returned material would end up as some new kind of waste plus plant growth with very little loss.

But with this add-on you are truly losing mass (I think) - I'd like to explain this away with the greenhouse venting the nasty stuff into space at a very low, diffuse rate.

And thanks, yes, I also like add-ons that are inspired by the stock designs. :-)

It would probably be pretty easy to plug in another, non recyclable waste product to counter the loss of mass. make it produce resource name = biowaste with x value per second or whatever, and add storage for it in the greenhouse module. this non-recyclable material would need to be dumped as a waste product every so often as your station was being resupplied. You'd just need someone to write a modulemanager config to add storage for the new waste product to other parts so it can be moved without adding a new storage part. I'm getting good at altering configs, but have zero knowledge of MM. :(

Say add:

outputResources = Oxygen, 0.3, false, Water, 0.6, false, Food, 0.7, false, Toxicwaste, 1.4, false

and:

RESOURCE

{

name = Toxicwaste

amount = 0

maxAmount = 100

}

I threw this together in a minute, I haven't checked to see if the numbers balance, but as an example...

I've been up for 14 hours don't judge me :(

You'd still need a MM config to be able to get rid of the toxicwaste, and again I can't help you.

Just trying to help, take it or leave it as you wish. Already snagged this mod myself, good job. :)

Edited by vardicd

A first update: I've added support for the Connected Living Space API - the greenhouse now appears in green when viewed with CLS and accepts one Kerbal when used with Kerbal Crew Transfer (here: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/221046-kerbal-crew-transfer ).

I've also added the same science crew report that the stock cupola has available.

Download link is still the same as in the OP.

I tried down loading the 2nd green house but I got anther copy of the MK1. so you might want to check something

Fixed! Sorry for that, the forum WYSIWIG editor was hiding the actual URL when I edited the post...

• 3 weeks later...
the mk2 greenhouse is expanding in the vab when i hover over it in the part list im using 0.24x64 with a ton off mods including tac 0.9

Old bug as of .22 i believe

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63109-0-23-Modulefixer

That mod/dll will fix it from happening and should work with .24.

There is a d/l link on page 3 or 4 there for it since spaceport is no longer around.

Went through some of my logs last night before going to sleep (when i read up on that problem) and found that info from

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-23-5-KSP-Interstellar-%28Toolbar-Integration-New-Models-New-Tech%29-Version-0-11?p=1282703&viewfull=1#post1282703

It was a problem i had back in 23.5 that came out of nowhere. Tac life support worked fine for me, then one day when i loaded up ksp, ever time i would mouse over 1 item from tac life, it would expand. I raged quit the game for awhile due to the low FPS i was getting and never really searched out why it happened, lol. I knew it wasnt a problem with tac life back then tho.

Someone else said "I believe this issue is caused by missing part plugins. If a part calls for a module that does not exist (ie a plugin is missing or failed to load) it does the expandingaroo thingy..."

Im suposed to be packing up for going camping for the next 4 days, but being a professional procrastinator, i have yet started and i think were leaving in the morning, lol.

Hope that helps both of ya.

I like the idea of the green house not being easy. Hopefully ill have time to try it if i stop adding mods in and play for once!

I am excited to see where this mod could go over time -- especially with some awesome models. It already looks great though don't get me wrong.

Perhaps some sort of adaptive texturing, whereby the "plant growth" you see in the part changes based on the productivity level of the greenhouse itself. AKA -- no goodies for growth -- you see no growth. Easier than making fancy models at this stage I would assume anyway!

I am excited to see where this mod could go over time -- especially with some awesome models. It already looks great though don't get me wrong.

Perhaps some sort of adaptive texturing, whereby the "plant growth" you see in the part changes based on the productivity level of the greenhouse itself. AKA -- no goodies for growth -- you see no growth. Easier than making fancy models at this stage I would assume anyway!

Thanks! Adaptive texturing sounds like a great idea - I will look into how to do that! Modeling is further out - I have a little experience with Maya, but it's very time consuming and I still want to have some time to actually play KSP! :-)

Sorry to be that guy, but I've never used GitHub before and am utterly unable to find a download link. Could you point it out to me? Also, preferably one that uses the old "1 unit = 1 day's usage" units scale, since that's what I'm using.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.