[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Hey Roverdude!

First, Happy New Year!

Second, thank you for this and your many other mods.

I've read through this entire thread looking for an answer to a question I have, and thus far I've been unable to find it. Hoping you or someone else can help me. (BTW - I have indeed read the *entire* thread. Do you know how many times you've explained why there isn't food in the DERP? Neither do I, as I stopped counting! Your level of patience is legendary!)

When right clicking on the DERP in the VAB, I get a menu with various options. However, the only two I can add are the Communotron 16 and the Mk-2-R Radial-Mount Parachute. What is the purpose of this menu? Am I missing something here (well, clearly I am!)? Is the menu correct and I can add a DERP Lifeboat Module to my DERP Lifeboat Module? If I can, can I also add at DERP Lifeboat Module to the DERP Lifeboat Module inside my DERP Lifeboat Module? Does this mean it is bigger on the inside than the outside? If so, can I rename it to TARDIS? ;)

If you (or anyone) wouldn't mind answering the first two questions (and maybe the third), I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Screenshot here: http://1drv.ms/1BpjHlz

I don't know about answering the questions, but that's KAS doing the menu; it's that the DERP has a KAS container built into it.

I don't have a clue what would happen if DERPception were to occur though O_O

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Don't want them using up the pod supplies before inflating it.

Seems a bit high, considering the mk1 command pod only has 3 days, but I guess it makes sense if you consider that most of the pod is taken up with equipment rather than supplies.

Not really, consider the size of a TAC-LS small container (which has 11 days of each, most of that mass being food). Very little gear, and lots of space once the bubble is inflated to unpack your goodies.

Does this mod still work with 0.90?

Yep!

I don't know about answering the questions, but that's KAS doing the menu; it's that the DERP has a KAS container built into it.

I don't have a clue what would happen if DERPception were to occur though O_O

Good thing a DERP only has five units of storage ;) hence, physically impossible to store a DERP in a DERP :)

My next question: Just tested the DERP for the first time in a simulation (via KCT) for a Mun Shot. I successfully evac'd Jeb, but then I noticed that my electricity showed approximately 10 minutes (per TAC LS). There was a .03/sec drain on it. SAS off. Any ideas?

Active Texture Management

Better Buoyancy

Blizzy's Toolbar

Chatterer

Community Resource Pack

Connected Living Space

Deadly Reentry Continued

Distant Object Enhancement

Docking Port Alignment Indicator

Final Frontier

Firespitter Core

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Construction Time

Kerbal Engineer Redux

KSP AVC

KSP Tips

Neophyte's Elementary Aerodynamics Replacement

No More Grind

Planet Shine

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

Raster Prop Monitor

Real Chute Parachute Systems

Regolith

Remote Tech

SCANSat

Science Alert

Ship Manifest

Stage Recovery

Station Science

Thunder Aerospace Corporation's Life Support system

Trajectories

Transfer Window Planner

TriggerAu Flags

Umbra Space Industries Tools

Universal Storage

USI Survival Pack

I think TAC imposes an electricity drain on crewed parts to represent heating costs? I would be surprised that it's more than the RTG in the DERP though. I can't see anything else in that modlist which would cause a drain... If you find out, let us know :)

Also, a minor note to RoverDude - the thread title still says [0.25], despite these working in 0.90 and CKAN reporting they're updated for 0.90.

Now, the reason I actually came to this thread :)

The airbags and floats are not particularly heat tolerant, and often need to be placed on the outside of stuff you expect to be plummetting through a hot atmosphere so that they can deploy when you're floating down. With the stack floats it isn't a huge problem, but every time I try and use the radially attached floats or airbags they get burned or ripped off during re-entry despite my otherwise conservative entry angles... Do you think they should be a little more temperature tolerant? Shielded solar panels resist 3200deg, for reference. (I'm aware that is a ridiculously high number, yes)

The airbags and floats are not particularly heat tolerant, and often need to be placed on the outside of stuff you expect to be plummetting through a hot atmosphere so that they can deploy when you're floating down. With the stack floats it isn't a huge problem, but every time I try and use the radially attached floats or airbags they get burned or ripped off during re-entry despite my otherwise conservative entry angles... Do you think they should be a little more temperature tolerant? Shielded solar panels resist 3200deg, for reference. (I'm aware that is a ridiculously high number, yes)

Second this. Though I just modify the parts myself in the config file.

I think TAC imposes an electricity drain on crewed parts to represent heating costs? I would be surprised that it's more than the RTG in the DERP though. I can't see anything else in that modlist which would cause a drain... If you find out, let us know :)

TAC does indeed, which is why the DERP includes power in the first place (as I understand it). But I agree... it shouldn't overcome the RTG to the point of depleting the on board supply so quickly. I haven't found any mod which allows me to monitor what is causing a drain--suggestions? I take it I am the only one that is experiencing this?

Agreed... I attached the radial ones and they promptly blew up on reentry. I didn't see what the temp was, but my engine bell (I was in a capsule retrograde) never reached 1100c. I use NEAR and DRE.

They looked like they have heat resistant cases though. I guess I will have to redesign my probes.

Wonder if they can be made like parachutes , in that once deploy, they can't be repacked, only deflate, unless there is an engineer around?

Just reported a bug in your github. Airbags placed in VAB in MM symmetry do not inflate. Just the one you placed manually, the mirrored one is pretty much dead

Its regarding the Radial Airbag (Small) - that part i did not write in bug description, sorry

You should hide your airbags and floaties behind a heat shield if using DRE. I usually toss mine in a procedural aeroshell that I jettison once I'm at more reasonable velocities.

I usually use the engine bell in lieu of a heat shield, but that's a good idea.

Roverdude, sorry to bug you, but any ideas on my electricity usage with the DERP? Suggestions on how I can figure out what's going on?

Try it on a clean install, see what mod is causing you grief. Did you change values of TAC-LS va Universal Storage, etc.?

I will try and report back. And I *do* believe I changed the values somewhere where it gave me a choice between human, stock, or scaled, but I don't remember which mod it was. But the values for Water and Oxygen seem correct.

I'll let you know, and thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

D.E.R.P. Mk 2: Slightly larger and can hold 2 Kerbals with 10 days of life support. Should be long enough for a rover to pick them up.

D.E.R.P. Mk 2-3: Same size as the Mk 2 but can hold 3 Kerbals with 2 days of life support. Warning! Due to low amount of life support is suggested for use around Kerbal only.

Why do you have to be rude? Its a simple question. I was using 6 symmetry and not all of them inflate.

It wasn't rude, it was making a point.

And I could ask the same of you. You expecting help, yet you cannot even be bothered to write a complete sentence. No details, nor an explanation or even picture of your craft or the scenario where they are not all inflating. How rude is it to expect help when you cannot give even the smallest bit of information for people to help you?

It wasn't rude, it was making a point.

And I could ask the same of you. You expecting help, yet you cannot even be bothered to write a complete sentence. No details, nor an explanation or even picture of your craft or the scenario where they are not all inflating. How rude is it to expect help when you cannot give even the smallest bit of information for people to help you?

I have no pictures. I'm on the launchpad with a 6 sided unmanned command module. With 6 symmetry, i put small airbags on the side. 4 symmetry on the top and bottom with small airbags. The only bags that inflate are the top and bottom.

I have no pictures. I'm on the launchpad with a 6 sided unmanned command module. With 6 symmetry, i put small airbags on the side. 4 symmetry on the top and bottom with small airbags. The only bags that inflate are the top and bottom.

See some details. Now was that so hard? I tried as best as I could with your description and built what I think you are describing. Using inflate and deflate on action groups all airbags inflate and deflate.

See some details. Now was that so hard? I tried as best as I could with your description and built what I think you are describing. Using inflate and deflate on action groups all airbags inflate and deflate.

My apologies for the lesser of details. I tried it again and it worked. My original test had a small truss then a decoupler and parachute in order on top. Those would inflate but the side ones wouldn't or at least one wouldn't. I'll keep testing and hope it works!