[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Hey, RoverDude? Can you make the lifeboat so that if you're using your food mod, no longer make a kerbal require food/have an infinite food source that is incompatible with everything else? I say this because the kerbal would e in an emergency situation and thus wouldn't be able to eat, and they'd understand that rather than going on strike, as your food mod puts it.

Hey, RoverDude? Can you make the lifeboat so that if you're using your food mod, no longer make a kerbal require food/have an infinite food source that is incompatible with everything else? I say this because the kerbal would e in an emergency situation and thus wouldn't be able to eat, and they'd understand that rather than going on strike, as your food mod puts it.

With his LS mod they will already last 15 days before going on strike even without supplies.

I like the idea of the floaters. And the 3D models look very nice and fit perfectly to the rest of the game. However, I have noticed a couple of issues with them.

First of all the drag model on them is broke as duck. It makes no difference whether they are deployed or not, drag stays the same.

But biggest issue I have with them is... the biggest issue... is that they don't float. (You had one job!) Just like the drag geometry doesn't change when you deploy them, neither does the buoyancy geometry. I would not consider myself stretching the truth at all, if I were to say that the floaters do absolutely nothing. For the purposes of floating, they are infact non-functional and broken.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Put floaters on a ship.

2. Put ship in water.

3. Inflate and deflate floaters.

---

1. Build ship four (4) Radial inflatable float (Med)

2. Put it on water.

3. Go back to assembly and replace them with empty FL-T400 fuel tanks.

4. Put it in water and observe the difference.

I like the idea of the floaters. And the 3D models look very nice and fit perfectly to the rest of the game. However, I have noticed a couple of issues with them.

First of all the drag model on them is broke as duck. It makes no difference whether they are deployed or not, drag stays the same.

But biggest issue I have with them is... the biggest issue... is that they don't float. (You had one job!) Just like the drag geometry doesn't change when you deploy them, neither does the buoyancy geometry. I would not consider myself stretching the truth at all, if I were to say that the floaters do absolutely nothing. For the purposes of floating, they are infact non-functional and broken.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Put floaters on a ship.

2. Put ship in water.

3. Inflate and deflate floaters.

---

1. Build ship four (4) Radial inflatable float (Med)

2. Put it on water.

3. Go back to assembly and replace them with empty FL-T400 fuel tanks.

4. Put it in water and observe the difference.

I have noticed this problem too; no matter if the floaters are deployed or not, the craft behaves the same in water. And with the stack floater attached to my Mk1 capsule, no matter what i do, it always turns it downwards when I splashed down.

Hope this problems get solved in the next update :). By the way, I love all your mods RoverDude, nice work!

Oh, the D.E.R.P. is just PERFECT for my tourists. Granted, there was that unfortunate accident involving a rather large ship full of untrained tourists being jettisoned off into space in beach balls only to find out that they had no idea how to operate the engines.. but hey, the 2.0 version was equipped with a drone core and has so far had an acceptable casualty level!

Edit: Wonder how far they could go with a radial mono tank or two attached.. I'm thinking I've found a new low-G moon lander.

Edited by Enorats

One somewhat major issue: If your game crashes or closes for any reason while you're flying a ship with a kerbal in the D.E.R.P... when you reload the save you're left with only the engine component, with thrusters visually firing but not seeming to do anything and the chute deployed but also not seeming to do anything. The tracking station still thinks the Kerbal is in the ship, but when you try to fly it there is no D.E.R.P. there, the craft is uncontrollable, and there is no Kerbal. Oh, and there's some funny physics going on too. Once it crashed during reentry (probably ran out of RAM - stupid memory leaks) and when I came back Kerbin wasn't visible anymore, and the ship fell to the ground normally but crashed into the ground at terminal velocity.

Seems to be repeatable too, it's happened every time I've reloaded a save with a Kerbal in a DERP.

One somewhat major issue: If your game crashes or closes for any reason while you're flying a ship with a kerbal in the D.E.R.P... when you reload the save you're left with only the engine component, with thrusters visually firing but not seeming to do anything and the chute deployed but also not seeming to do anything. The tracking station still thinks the Kerbal is in the ship, but when you try to fly it there is no D.E.R.P. there, the craft is uncontrollable, and there is no Kerbal. Oh, and there's some funny physics going on too. Once it crashed during reentry (probably ran out of RAM - stupid memory leaks) and when I came back Kerbin wasn't visible anymore, and the ship fell to the ground normally but crashed into the ground at terminal velocity.

Seems to be repeatable too, it's happened every time I've reloaded a save with a Kerbal in a DERP.

Question. Do you have tweakscale installed.

Sorry, if is sounds rude, but I don't think this can be classified as a 1.0 mod. It still has numerous issues, like the derp chite not working properly and having the pod fly sideways when it is semi-deployed. Also the issue that airbags are half overheated at launch and only get worse.

I would be really happy if you update it, but please change the thread tag to [0.90] while you work on it.

Sorry, if is sounds rude, but I don't think this can be classified as a 1.0 mod. It still has numerous issues, like the derp chite not working properly and having the pod fly sideways when it is semi-deployed. Also the issue that airbags are half overheated at launch and only get worse.

I would be really happy if you update it, but please change the thread tag to [0.90] while you work on it.

The tag 1.0 (or .90, etc) refers to the version of KSP that the mod works with or is being developed for, not whether the mod is error-free, alpha, beta, WIP etc. If every mod carried a .90 tag until it was done, there'd be much confusion (and CKAN would be confused, for those of us who use it.

You in fact do sound very rude.

Sorry, this works in 1.0 - it's certainly not perfect, no mod is, but it works.

So.. um.. no.

0.3.1 is up.

Increased airbag max temp

CRP/Firespitter updates

CTT/Tech Tree adjustments

DERP pod now has inflatable wings and lifting body characteristics - parachute has been deprecated

Surface attachment allowed on the DERP engine, also it is now node attach not surface attach

Life support default is now USI-LS

Textures converted to DDS

0.3.1 is up.

Increased airbag max temp

CRP/Firespitter updates

CTT/Tech Tree adjustments

DERP pod now has inflatable wings and lifting body characteristics - parachute has been deprecated

Surface attachment allowed on the DERP engine, also it is now node attach not surface attach

Life support default is now USI-LS

Textures converted to DDS

Wings OMG. SMALLEST PLANE EVER. Can't wait to try it.

Of course I just something even cooler would have been a single propellar, like those helicopter seeds to spin its way down. Just make sure to stock some vomit bags.