[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Derps seem to work fine for me, you haven't attached the propulsion section upside down anything like that? I suggest testing your designs on the launchpads, actually just put down a mk2 pod and cover it with derps and propulsion sections, you might find what happened.

Edit: just checked, even installed upside down a propulsion section will detach correctly, a derp that's node attached will detatch, but a propulsion section that's upside down and node attached will not disconnect.

Edit: I can't seem to break them, even if I have the derp clipping it usually manages to launch successfully, the only problem I noticed is if I attach multiple derps to a single propulsion section, using evacuate only manages to cram a single Kerbal in before the propulsion section detatches.

I can't see why anyone would need to do this, but they could always evacuate manually.

Edited by MarcAFK

Derps seem to work fine for me, you haven't attached the propulsion section upside down anything like that? I suggest testing your designs on the launchpads, actually just put down a mk2 pod and cover it with derps and propulsion sections, you might find what happened.

Edit: just checked, even installed upside down a propulsion section will detach correctly, a derp that's node attached will detatch, but a propulsion section that's upside down and node attached will not disconnect.

Edit: I can't seem to break them, even if I have the derp clipping it usually manages to launch successfully, the only problem I noticed is if I attach multiple derps to a single propulsion section, using evacuate only manages to cram a single Kerbal in before the propulsion section detatches.

I can't see why anyone would need to do this, but they could always evacuate manually.

I'm curious, are you stack-attacking (node to node) or surface attaching radially?

I ran a test on a completely different craft. Radially attached the DERPs (propulsion module) to the surface (a structural fuselage). Ran three tests: 1. Propulsion attached normally, 2. propulsion attached upside down, and 3. propulsion attached normally, another propulsion attached to it. Results as follows:

1. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and activated Decouple setting but propulsion module did not decouple. Fail.

2. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and decoupled upside down propulsion module from pod, but propulsion module stayed attached to surface. This indicates that the Decoupler stage on the propulsion module *is* staging, but for some reason doesn't actual get detached from the surface it is attached to.

3. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and second propulsion module detached from the first, which stayed attached to the fuselage.

I gave

For a reason I am unable to discern, my propulsion modules are unable to detach once radially attached to the surface of a vessel. I was really hoping that Roverdude might have an idea, but I think he's a bit busy right now, so no worries... I've officially given up and moved on to other ideas.

Thanks for your suggestions, MarcAFK... repped.

I'm curious, are you stack-attacking (node to node) or surface attaching radially?

I ran a test on a completely different craft. Radially attached the DERPs (propulsion module) to the surface (a structural fuselage). Ran three tests: 1. Propulsion attached normally, 2. propulsion attached upside down, and 3. propulsion attached normally, another propulsion attached to it. Results as follows:

1. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and activated Decouple setting but propulsion module did not decouple. Fail.

2. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and decoupled upside down propulsion module from pod, but propulsion module stayed attached to surface. This indicates that the Decoupler stage on the propulsion module *is* staging, but for some reason doesn't actual get detached from the surface it is attached to.

3. "Evacuate" inflated module, transferred Kerbal, and second propulsion module detached from the first, which stayed attached to the fuselage.

I gave

For a reason I am unable to discern, my propulsion modules are unable to detach once radially attached to the surface of a vessel. I was really hoping that Roverdude might have an idea, but I think he's a bit busy right now, so no worries... I've officially given up and moved on to other ideas.

Thanks for your suggestions, MarcAFK... repped.

I had no problem with any surface attached derps, even with the propulsion section surface attached backwards then the derp surface attached to that on crazy angles would detatch properly with evacuate, that is to say the derp would stay attached to the propulsion section while that would pop off the ship. It might be an install problem, have you got the latest fire spitter? Is lifeboat.dll in the srvpack folder?

I had no problem with any surface attached derps, even with the propulsion section surface attached backwards then the derp surface attached to that on crazy angles would detatch properly with evacuate, that is to say the derp would stay attached to the propulsion section while that would pop off the ship. It might be an install problem, have you got the latest fire spitter? Is lifeboat.dll in the srvpack folder?

PM'd you

What could potentially be causing all the survivability pack parts to not show up in the VAB in Career mode? They show up R&D but I research the survivability node and none of them are in the VAB to actually use. All the other USI (MKS, Karbonite) parts are showing up just fine. Everything works fine in sandbox, I'm sure I broke something somehow. I was having this problem a while back and reloading the assets repeatedly eventually got it to show up but caused a lot of other problems.

More info, like what tech tree you're using, and do you have any other tech tree mods.

It happened without any tech tree mods but currently I'm using community tech tree, to see if that would fix anything. It's got the same behavior with both of them.

It's weird because everything looks normal in the tech tree.

I love it, but... isn't the DERP just a tad oerpowered? :P

Otherwise, nice job as always.

Oh, and how can we change the configurations for TAC Life Support?

TAC should be fine right out of the box, the config file shows the derp holds oxygen, food and water.

For USI LS all it needs is the electric generator :P

• 2 weeks later...

This mod really is cool! The floats are really useful if you are using Better Bouyancy. The Derp also serves as pretty cool inflatable airlock. I would like if it had more KIS integration, so it takes up less space. I also noticed a bug with KIS and the Derp. After a Kerbal goes inside the Derp, it looses his inventory. I lost a couple screw drivers because of this, and they aren't cheap!

I'm having a little issue with the airbags, they don't seem to have any option to deploy them.

The DERP and the floats still work though.

Edit: boy do I have egg on my face. It turns out Norton Anti-Virus has been eating .dlls from various KSP mods for weeks. That explains a whole bunch of issues I've been having with various mods, including this one. Curse you Norton and your stupid WS.Reputation.1 warning! :mad:

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Yeah RoverDude is quite busy these days (who am I kidding, he is always busy) and doesn't seem to have time to update the front page for some of his mods.

I recommend reading the changlogs which you can find on his github release pages.

RoverD switched to wings instead of chutes.

Am I just tragic at KSP? How in the world are you supposed to land with those wings? There are no control surfaces that I can see, and I can't manage to slow my ascent enough if I end up having to abort a launch.

Well the pod is good at bouncing...

TBH I'm not sure. I've heard that the "wings" are enough to slow your decent enough for a safe landing, but you will need a reasonable altitude.

In any case I kind of wish there was still a parachute option. I think it was causing a lot of issues though.

Edited by Nori

Yeah that's what i was guessing. I recall you having occasional trouble with the parachute over the last couple versions. Full of bees I believe?

I wish that mod where you could put a parachute on your kerbal was still around. :P Hmm, can a Kerbal survive re-entry? Gonna have to try this...

Yeah that's what i was guessing. I recall you having occasional trouble with the parachute over the last couple versions. Full of bees I believe?

I wish that mod where you could put a parachute on your kerbal was still around. :P Hmm, can a Kerbal survive re-entry? Gonna have to try this...

That mod is still around.

I cant attach the propulsion module radialy on the surface wich renders it useless (Normally it should be placable like the lifeboat so i can stack the lifeboat ontop of it)

// NVM i fixed it by changing the attachRules in the propulsionmodule cfg

Edited by fatjoe2015

Well the pod is good at bouncing...

TBH I'm not sure. I've heard that the "wings" are enough to slow your decent enough for a safe landing, but you will need a reasonable altitude.

They definitely don't in 1.0.4 from orbit, unless there's some trick to it that I'm not pulling off. RIP in piece 'rescued' kerbal