[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

4 hours ago, autumnalequinox said:

Not sure if this is intentional or not but the DERP solar panels only seem draw power from one side.  It's not a huge deal as I know they are simple, early game solar panels, but they have cells on both sides so I wasn't sure.  There is a chance some weird probe part is blocking them (just not visibly)  I haven't done extensive checking yet with other probe designs (i use CTT and love that I get them early in the tree so I've started using them for probes and as backup power systems).  

I noticed this awhile back and normally panels do only collect from one side, But they are black or dark dark blue on the other side so that you know which side collects. Maybe Next pass on this mod Rover Dude can find a couple of unused pixels on the texture map for that back sides? else make them work both sides which might be a config change.

I absolutely love the parts this mod adds in. I've used the inflatable pod to save several of my stranded astronauts, at little cost. I do have one question, though. I noticed that many of the parts have a higher heat resistance even than heat shields. It seems rather unbalanced to me. Is this an intentional feature?

On 4/29/2016 at 5:36 AM, Master_Catfish said:

I absolutely love the parts this mod adds in. I've used the inflatable pod to save several of my stranded astronauts, at little cost. I do have one question, though. I noticed that many of the parts have a higher heat resistance even than heat shields. It seems rather unbalanced to me. Is this an intentional feature?

Couldn't tell you whether it's intentional or not.

But i think it would be easy enough to tweak to your liking in the part.cfg 

:D

On 4/29/2016 at 0:36 AM, Master_Catfish said:

Odds are they are just out of date - old mod :)

I do take PRs if someone wants to volunteer to fix that :D

Edit: I have logged an issue on Github.  The problem seems to be in Lifeboat.cs:

public void FixedUpdate()
        {
            try
            {
                if (part.checkLanded())
                {
                    Dampen();
                }
                if (part.Landed)
                {
                    Dampen();
                }
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                print("[AB] Error in OnFixedUpdate - " + ex.Message);
            }
        }

After a long break from KSP, I've come back to play Turbo Charged and have been testing out the USI parts.  Unfortunately, it seems like the DERP pod (orange inflatable) is throwing an error when selected in the VAB editor.  When I select the DERP pod the log is spammed with the following error:

[AB] Error in OnFixedUpdate - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

The errors stop when the part is deleted. To make sure it's not a problem with my KSP install, I would appreciate it if someone could try to reproduce this error by following the steps below:

1. Enter the VAB

2. Press Alt+F2 to open the KSP debug console

3. Select a starter part (command pod, probe, girder, etc.)

4. Select the DERP pod 

5. Post a comment letting me know if the debug console with spammed with the error above.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Tarheel1999

• 2 weeks later...

So, got a bug report. If you're going for rescue contracts, and the game decides to use a DERP pod as the rescuee ship, it looses it's mind once you move into physics range, and goes to FPS 0.25. I'm guessing some attribute of the DERP isn't set right when this happens. I was able to save scenario by editing the DERP to be a mk1pod, then the lag vanished.

The log only spammed NullPointerException and I couldn't figure out where it was saved. I've got a few other mods installed (primarily remotetech and mechjeb) so I dunno if the persistance.sfs would be useful. I've posted it anyway however.

I found a new use for the airbags... 

Protect my rovers...

The protection is not perfect, but thanks to the airbags I can drive a good speed in the Mun... When the rover flip I push "2" (deploy airbags) and "R" to flip the Rover, several times I didn't stop...

I do have a few minor gripes with the solar panels...

1) either make both sides producing energy
2) or change the texture of the underside

as I just lost a craft because I thought both sides would catch the sunlight :(

3) larger change, but maybe change the mounting point of the solar panels in that way, that it's obvious they don't rotate :/

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there once a gray texture? I look in the legacy versions and there do seem to be one, whoever it doesn't look like I can swap it in. Why did you discontinue it, or is it still there and I just can't find it? :) Love your mods btw!

On 5/18/2016 at 4:58 AM, NCommander said:

So, got a bug report. If you're going for rescue contracts, and the game decides to use a DERP pod as the rescuee ship, it looses it's mind once you move into physics range, and goes to FPS 0.25. I'm guessing some attribute of the DERP isn't set right when this happens. I was able to save scenario by editing the DERP to be a mk1pod, then the lag vanished.

The log only spammed NullPointerException and I couldn't figure out where it was saved. I've got a few other mods installed (primarily remotetech and mechjeb) so I dunno if the persistance.sfs would be useful. I've posted it anyway however.

I can't help with this, except to say that I have not had this issue myself, playing on career. I do have numerous mods installed, but not remotech. However, I do notice that when I come across these pods in rescue contracts, they are not inflated. When I switched to it, the pod appeared empty, but I was still able to inflate it (even though it was the only part on the vessel). Switching control back and forth fixed the issue, and the Kerbal in the derp pod was able to EVA for rescue.

In comparison, my issue is minor. Still, I wonder if the two bugs might be related.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone written an MM config for DERP with Deadly Reentry?  I just ran a sim and the poor pod evaporated at about 35k.  I'm not sure how DRE does it's calcs, should I try to raise it's temperature tolerance or give it some ablator?  I don't want to overload it's mass or anything but survival from at least LKO would be nice. :)

Is it just me or are the stackable floats a bit... off now? No matter what level I set the buoyancy at, on the Mk 1 pod for instance, they just cause the craft to constantly flip back and forth while in the water.

0.5.4 - (KSP 1.1.3)
------------------
Updates for KSP 1.1.3
Fixed an issue where the DERP pod was causing log spam
Added 50 ablator to the DERP pod
The DERP solar panel now works on both sides.
Moved all DERP components into appropriate stock tech tree locations to resolve balance issues.

When using CTT I would like for the DERP solar array to still be in advanced electrics, looking at the configs I can see that what I need to add is this... 

@PART[DERP_Solar]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = advElectrics
}

I don't want to edit your config files, because the change will be lost when the next update is pushed, so I'm unsure of where to put it and still have it apply after the mod.   Assuming MM behaves the way I think it does. 

• 2 weeks later...

The kOS prerelease has a new feature where it uses reflection to look for plugins that support its extension API. That code is throwing an exception on FloaterTools.dll, and some of the kOS people are trying to decide how big of a problem that is. Is FloaterTools still used for anything after the conversion to stock buoyancy in SrvPack 0.5.0?

1 hour ago, Argonicus said:

Why i can't find your mods in CKAN? only few of them available, other not.

Because they aren't there.  In other threads Roverdude said they would be back on CKAN as he updates them to the next version and fixes the metadata.  You will have to be patient and/or install manually for now.