[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

0.3.1 is up.

Increased airbag max temp

CRP/Firespitter updates

CTT/Tech Tree adjustments

DERP pod now has inflatable wings and lifting body characteristics - parachute has been deprecated

Surface attachment allowed on the DERP engine, also it is now node attach not surface attach

Life support default is now USI-LS

Textures converted to DDS

Ack no parachute!!! Now it needs actual skill to land it?! Are you trying to get Jeb killed?

RD are the floats supposed to inflate when you hit the water? I can swear I had a similar mod in a previous rev of ksp but for the life of me I could not remember the name. I see there is a splash fx on/off but it does not seem to do anything.

Also I posted about the 1.25 and 2.5m inline floats. They are really quite a bit to thick. When you add the height of a heaty shield, the heat shield adapter, a decoupler, maybe a storage bay, the capsule height just starts to look ridiculous. Would be nice if you could redesign the thickness on those and maybe even possible combine the float with a heatshield.

I model in Maya and would love to work on a project like this but I do not really have time to figure out the API for firespitter and the the other components involved. But I would love to work on the models and textures themselves perhaps we could collaborate?

RD are the floats supposed to inflate when you hit the water? I can swear I had a similar mod in a previous rev of ksp but for the life of me I could not remember the name. I see there is a splash fx on/off but it does not seem to do anything.

Also I posted about the 1.25 and 2.5m inline floats. They are really quite a bit to thick. When you add the height of a heaty shield, the heat shield adapter, a decoupler, maybe a storage bay, the capsule height just starts to look ridiculous. Would be nice if you could redesign the thickness on those and maybe even possible combine the float with a heatshield.

I model in Maya and would love to work on a project like this but I do not really have time to figure out the API for firespitter and the the other components involved. But I would love to work on the models and textures themselves perhaps we could collaborate?

Ooh nice! Thank you very much for this mod RD- Works well with Tantares for one way one man landers.

They do not inflate when you land - also these are less about being a system for capsules, and more for floating bases, etc.

Just updated, but now the DERP isn't showing under pods in my career mode game. It shows up in sandbox and in the tech tree under survivability but isn't available in the VAB. Is there a workaround for this kind of thing or do I need to start a new game? I can load old vessels with it on them and it works fine, just can't find it in the parts list anymore.

edit- reloading all assets seems to kind of fix it.

Edited by oniontrain

They do not inflate when you land - also these are less about being a system for capsules, and more for floating bases, etc.

The reason I asked is because there was a mod klockheed martian that had an inflatable heatshield and flotation parts. The flotation parts were very close to yours. Both auto-inflated when landing in the water.

That mod is no longer maintained and I cannot find the source.

Do you think there would be any chance you might add a more compact flotation / heatshield combo and maybe add the ability to turn on / off auto-inflate on water contact? I really liked the visual effect from the KM Special Parts Pack.

Just land in the general direction and you will be ok ;)

Doesnt work ran some tests:

1: 200m/s 892m altitude crash

2: 151m/s hard splashdown

3: 277m/s 3797m altitude crash

4: 114 m/s 746m altitude crash

5: 146m/s 729m altitude crash

6: 119m/s 1053m altitude crash

7: 96m/s hard splashdown, close, so close.

8: 139m/s hard splashdown

9: 192m/s hard splashdown.

3 others that crashed I didn't record. 1 that was actually successful a splashdown.

Its not a very survivable Survivability pod without the parachute. Tried with and without the engine attached. Tried flying multiple ways: prograde, angled at 45 degrees up, just let it go its own way with and with out SAS. Seemed to actually come down closer with the engine still attached.

I'm sure there is some magic way to fly this thing to get it to come down a < 80m/s but a survivability pod shouldn't have to be flown.

You're using stock aero correct? And you're not just letting it drop, you're actually angling it to glide in?

- - - Updated - - -

(Side note - if you still want chutes just slap them, radially on the engine pod)

You're using stock aero correct? And you're not just letting it drop, you're actually angling it to glide in?

- - - Updated - - -

(Side note - if you still want chutes just slap them, radially on the engine pod)

The only thing not default was the installation of Kerbal Engineer, and for the last 3 drops Ambient Light Adjustment (I got tired of transferring/separating in the dark). I started with a clean install just to do the tests.

Yes tried angling in to glide several times, actually did that first. As you can see from the numbers its always close so its reducing speed a lot, just not enough. Letting it drop seemed to do the best particularly at the end of the flight those were some of the ones that came the closest to succeeding but yes tried gliding in also.

The stock chutes are huge compared to the pod. I'm not sure they will survive reentry unshielded either. I've though about using the stackable chute from Tantares between the pod and engine.

Oh... and you jettison the engine right? When I test it by the time I am gliding in, the only thing left on there is the pod itself, kickstand out.

Both with and without the engine. I will try it again after work, but really its a survivability pod, it should survive even if there is no control and the rider/pilot does everything wrong, is unconscious or is a child.

Oh... and you jettison the engine right? When I test it by the time I am gliding in, the only thing left on there is the pod itself, kickstand out.

Hmm I landed fine without jettisoning the engine. But the kickstand didn't work. Just buried itself right into the ground. I attribute that to KSP bugginess however.

Coming in angled at 10 degrees below the horizon particularly at low altitude seems to reduce the most velocity and allows it to land safely. I got it down to 43m/s. Angled at the horizon, above the horizon, prograde, or just letting it flop don't work.

I'd still like the parachute back, it feels more rescue/escape pod. Maybe you could include both?

I would really like the parachute back too.

I spent a long time trying to figure out why it wouldn't work in the first place. The OP says parachute right on it so when there was nothing in the action groups I was wondering if it was a glitch. I had to read the changelogs to figure it out. Plus, I just slap four parachutes on the engine mount which makes my action groups ugly. Would be nice to have it as an option at least.

Other than that, the pod is hilarious and fun to use. There's nothing quite like evacuating 4 kerbals into space automatically; feels reaaaal spacey for sure.

Dual Options please! Parachute would be awesome. Maybe Nerf the Glide ability - Came down without engine block and crossed multiple land masses (circumnavigation potential?). Saw a raft command in orbit but not once landed - is it in the engine section? Are you suppose to jettison that at some point?

I don't know about stock aero, but I can't seem to make the lifeboat do anything but fly retrograde in FAR. With or without the engine, it will always flip and point straight retrograde. At that point the SAS and RCS can't do anything to change its direction. Then the pod impacts at >100 m/s and explodes. Does anyone have any tips for re-entry with the lifeboat under FAR?

Is the DERP pod still TAC compatible? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. It deploys without any life support module.

Edit: I have no problem attaching a TAC module to it, however. I know RoverDude has adopted his own LS system, but I like my TAC :(

Edited by autumnalequinox

Fixed it. Anybody still using TAC just pull the old code from 1.0 and replace over the pod entry for "supplies".

MODULE

{

name = ModuleStoredResource

ResourceName = Food

Amount = 0.0001

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleStoredResource

ResourceName = Water

Amount = 6

}