[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Is this a brand new one you created after installing 0.1.4? Or one created before 0.1.4? I expect legacy ones (and this probably includes loading saved ships in the VAB) would still have this bug, but I would want to know if it's happening on brand new ships, since it uses persistence to handle inflating on load (it's actually the default state).

I thought 0.1.4 was my fisrt time on this install. Now i'm not so sure as i did pick up 0.1.1 a week ago but i didn't try the system. I'll remove the folder and reinstall.

Will add it to the issues list, but for my benefit, what other LS systems would you want to see tested/supported?

The other active (functioning in 23.5) LS mods I'm aware of are Ioncross, ECLSS, and Kerbal Life Support Mod. Ioncross uses the same names for Oxygen, Water, and Food, though the quantities would need to be adjusted. ECLSS uses Oxygen and "O2 Candles" but no water or food. Kerbal Life Support Mod simplifies the whole thing down to a single abstracted resource named "LifeSupport."

Personally, I'm primarily interested in customizability, which is well supported by TAC-LS and Ioncross. Currently, I use a modified version of TAC-LS with 3 resources, named "Food," "BreathableAir" (a resource requiring both the removal of CO2 and replenishment of O2), and "Health" (an abstracted measure of psychological wellbeing and deconditioning, maintained by providing adequate living space).

The other active (functioning in 23.5) LS mods I'm aware of are Ioncross, ECLSS, and Kerbal Life Support Mod. Ioncross uses the same names for Oxygen, Water, and Food, though the quantities would need to be adjusted. ECLSS uses Oxygen and "O2 Candles" but no water or food. Kerbal Life Support Mod simplifies the whole thing down to a single abstracted resource named "LifeSupport."

Personally, I'm primarily interested in customizability, which is well supported by TAC-LS and Ioncross. Currently, I use a modified version of TAC-LS with 3 resources, named "Food," "BreathableAir" (a resource requiring both the removal of CO2 and replenishment of O2), and "Health" (an abstracted measure of psychological wellbeing and deconditioning, maintained by providing adequate living space).

Gotcha. Yep, doable just a bit more complex from a coding standpoint. Will plug it on the issues list as a feature request.

Got a bit of an issue with the parachutes, if left on auto deploy/armed they kill the crew when they deploy, the pre deployment speed seems to be invalid.

Are you on the latest version? There was a fix to this recently.

Ah, yeah seems to be fixed sorry, btw is it intentional that the new monoprop engine has 176m/s dv vs the LFO's 700m/s+? 176 is enough to deorbit from 200/200~ which makes sense but it's a lot less than it was before.

Ah, yeah seems to be fixed sorry, btw is it intentional that the new monoprop engine has 176m/s dv vs the LFO's 700m/s+? 176 is enough to deorbit from 200/200~ which makes sense but it's a lot less than it was before.

Yep - balancing. It has a slightly higher ISP than a stock monoprop, and a capacity consistent with the volume available in the propulsion module. You won't be launching with it tho ;)

Another issue, if you quickload or switch vessels after inflating the pod it returns to it's uninflated state and can't be inflated again.

And the collisions of the pod when inflated seem off, seems most of it doesn't have any collisions at all.

Another issue, if you quickload or switch vessels after inflating the pod it returns to it's uninflated state and can't be inflated again.

And the collisions of the pod when inflated seem off, seems most of it doesn't have any collisions at all.

hm, thought that was fixed, will take a look. Probably just a matter of adding the inflate code to some other events.

first off, this thing is AWSOME, small, light, enough delta V at least to get back to kerbin from a stable 350km orbit, you rock! @rockerdude :D!

i like the detail with the kickstand making sure the hatch does not lock up aswell :D!

speaking of said kickstandthough, it looks a lot like an antenna... and you know what life pods need :o? antennas to shout HAAAAALP to mission command1 :D

Can we somehow enable the kickstand to function as an antenna? (optional benefit, extend antenna/retract antenna for kickstart might be cool instead of deploy>it stays there)

aditional benefits of this would be the kerbal could climb into the pod to broadcast his findings on being stuck in orbit for SCIENCE!. (and its a nice roleplay distress signal thing)

another sort of role play scenario would be an abandoned space station with a pod in it, but for instance no powered pods(RSC empty) you could still climb in and broadcast your SOS with the emergency power in the pod ;) movy gravity anyone?

Out of the mods you've made, you've shown yourself a great mod maker... but do you realize that (at least on my game) it is absolutely impossible to reenter the atmosphere? I'm using the latest everything, so a new FAR update could've screwed the pod up royally, but the thing simply refused to slow down. In fact, it was accelerating still until about 24 km. The system and ideas are great, and the fuel constraint makes it nice and challenging to balance RCS and engines. But, it went down engine-first despite my best efforts to RCS back to the proper way, and as I said earlier, it wouldn't slow down and burnt up. As I said, it could be just my game. So uh... test it? If it still works, then why da heck does mine not?

Out of the mods you've made, you've shown yourself a great mod maker... but do you realize that (at least on my game) it is absolutely impossible to reenter the atmosphere? I'm using the latest everything, so a new FAR update could've screwed the pod up royally, but the thing simply refused to slow down. In fact, it was accelerating still until about 24 km. The system and ideas are great, and the fuel constraint makes it nice and challenging to balance RCS and engines. But, it went down engine-first despite my best efforts to RCS back to the proper way, and as I said earlier, it wouldn't slow down and burnt up. As I said, it could be just my game. So uh... test it? If it still works, then why da heck does mine not?

sound's like your re-entry profile is too steep, can you describe your orbit before you entered the atmosphere?

Actually, it was really, really shallow. It was a test, so I put jeb in the pod, turned on infinite fuel and RCS, flew up to about 80 km, and put my peri-Kerbin at around 20 km, which is my usual decent profile.

EDIT:

I was considering going a steeper one earlier for ease, and just starting lower, but I figured, the results would be way different.

I'd start by saying I can't test every possible mod that may interact with mine - my test bed includes DRE, but no FAR, and testing was primarily realchutes and DRE since generally FAR isn't too rough to deal with.

That being said, I installed FAR, and deorbited from a 150KM orbit to an aerobraking altitude of 25KM, turned off SAS and RCS (granted I was out of monoprop by now anyway), armed my chute (stock, not RealChute), and let the pod drop. And yes, this thing blows through the atmosphere like a greased egg. So looks like I get to play with the configs and add some drag to this (for the record, it's drag is comparable to that of a stock capsule) so that the darn thing will slow down with FAR installed (even aerobraking was surprisingly difficult.

(edit)

BTW - I avoided burning up and instead just killed Jeb with G-forces.

I'd start by saying I can't test every possible mod that may interact with mine - my test bed includes DRE, but no FAR, and testing was primarily realchutes and DRE since generally FAR isn't too rough to deal with.

That being said, I installed FAR, and deorbited from a 150KM orbit to an aerobraking altitude of 25KM, turned off SAS and RCS (granted I was out of monoprop by now anyway), armed my chute (stock, not RealChute), and let the pod drop. And yes, this thing blows through the atmosphere like a greased egg. So looks like I get to play with the configs and add some drag to this (for the record, it's drag is comparable to that of a stock capsule) so that the darn thing will slow down with FAR installed (even aerobraking was surprisingly difficult.

(edit)

BTW - I avoided burning up and instead just killed Jeb with G-forces.

xD nice. I'm just spoiled with FAR, ever since I've found it I've always had it. Although, sometimes DRE and FAR don't play nice. Scott Manely has this problem. He edited a config to fix that. I'm too lazy.

Yeah, I'm calling this one a FAR bug - likely in the form of their auto config. Despite having exactly the same drag characteristics of a Mark 1 pod. it pretty much refuses to let the pod slow down. The second I attached another part (i.e. a MechJeb bit just to test things) it suddenly worked... So now to dig in and see why FAR hates me.

FYI my guess is that it's the built in heat shield, and the engine has a built in parachute... both of which cause FAR to ignore them.

Cool! Congrats on the update. Haven't had a chance to use it yet (having my own wobble issues with a large payload and 2.5 meter docking ports launching as well as Kerbtown and KCT not playing nicely together) But hopefully soon I'll need to launch kerbals back to Kerbin in emergency pods!

Any chance you are going to make something with the Acronym H.E.R.P as well? Because I think you are missing a golden opportunity.

I'd have to reiterate the idea of an interplanetary version with no landing provisions, but extended life support consumables...

High Endurance Recovery Pod...:D

I'd have to reiterate the idea of an interplanetary version with no landing provisions, but extended life support consumables...

High Endurance Recovery Pod...:D

The problemo is generally the supply quantity. Hypothetically, how long would you need endurance to be? The way these guys are set up, they are modular enough that something could be done...

Had a bit of a brainstorm there...

When/if radiation exposure becomes an issue, I'd expect an inflatable pod (DERP) to be pretty skimpy on the radiation shielding, as they are generally meant for re-entry, putting that (hopefully) nice thick atmosphere between the Kerbal and the high radiation environment of space. A hypothetical HERP, would exchange the heat-shield and some orbital maneuvering capability (as well as probably being quite a bit heavier than the DERP version to start with) for much better radiation shielding. The aim being keeping the Kerbal unfried long enough to consume the consumables in the add-on modules.

Also, they might double as "solar flare shelters" which are going to be necessary on real-world craft.

So there might be a reason to have both HERP and DERP in the inventory... depending on the mission.

I was trying to assemble a DERP pod EVA. I have the pod and propulsion parts, I could KAS attach the propulsion to the base I am using, but could not attach the pod to the propulsion (attach was not showing up as an option on the pod).

I looked in the config and the KAS AttachOnPart for the pod was set to "false" is that by design?

Edited by Smurfalot