[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

I'd have to reiterate the idea of an interplanetary version with no landing provisions, but extended life support consumables...

High Endurance Recovery Pod...:D

Had a bit of a brainstorm there...

When/if radiation exposure becomes an issue, I'd expect an inflatable pod (DERP) to be pretty skimpy on the radiation shielding, as they are generally meant for re-entry, putting that (hopefully) nice thick atmosphere between the Kerbal and the high radiation environment of space. A hypothetical HERP, would exchange the heat-shield and some orbital maneuvering capability (as well as probably being quite a bit heavier than the DERP version to start with) for much better radiation shielding. The aim being keeping the Kerbal unfried long enough to consume the consumables in the add-on modules.

Also, they might double as "solar flare shelters" which are going to be necessary on real-world craft.

So there might be a reason to have both HERP and DERP in the inventory... depending on the mission.

My understanding is that in real life, solar storm shelters are built into the innermost part of a spacecraft's pressure hull, which would use anything from bits of the hull to drinking water to provide the necessary shielding. I'm not sure what the logic is in having Kerbals retreat to a separate surface-attached compartment that is nominally more exposed than the main crew compartment itself.

My understanding is that in real life, solar storm shelters are built into the innermost part of a spacecraft's pressure hull, which would use anything from bits of the hull to drinking water to provide the necessary shielding. I'm not sure what the logic is in having Kerbals retreat to a separate surface-attached compartment that is nominally more exposed than the main crew compartment itself.

...Actually, it's the least exposed part of the ship if it's on the correct side of the ship from the solar storm.

It's still a stretch though. :)

You don't "attach" the pod to the propulsion unit. You "store" the pod in the propulsion unit, like a container into a container bay.

That is not what he did on the video...

Edit: That is totally unintuitive. There really should be some instructions and perhaps a new video.

Edited by Smurfalot

I'd have to reiterate the idea of an interplanetary version with no landing provisions, but extended life support consumables...

High Endurance Recovery Pod...:D

Say an addon to the base DERP propulsion module with extended supplies and fuel?

Yep, my intention was to add (optional) intermediary modules that can snap in place. Life Support, monoprop, etc. so it can be customized a bit.

Here is another thought, since the DERP is designed for atmospheric reentry, you could make the HERP (High Endurance Reentry Protection) like an extra protective shell/roll-cage that uses your Deployable Airbags for hard reentry sans atmosphere. That way you could also combine the too mods you have developed.

total parts:

DERP Pod (As Is)

DERP Propulsion (As Is)

HERP Shell (Fits over the DERP pod somehow)

HERP Stowage (Fits between the DERP Pod and Propulsion, stores additional LS and mono, acts as base plate for attaching the HERP shell)

And whatever normally comes with the Deployable Airbags mod.

HERP Shell (Fits over the DERP pod somehow)

Same way as other fairings maybe. How about the Huge Evacuation Reentry Protection a larger module with say 3 months supplies? ;)

When I place it in the VAB it shows all the RCS jets firing.

I cannot reproduce this, you are talking about the propulsion module right? You load it into the VAB and it is just spraying RCS? Can you give more info?

I tried to add a DERP to a station already on orbit by loading the parts on a KAS container and then attaching them to the station, but it's not working... I mean, I can attach the propulsion to the hull of the station, but then I cant attach the escape pod over the propulsion module. Is it at all possible? :)

Two things I've noticed: One is that using DRE, there is ablative shielding resource present (on both modules, actually), but a decently sharp reentry didn't tap in to it at all. (5-6 g reentry) Not sure what is up with that.

The other one is more a PSA: I suspected Bad Things, but don't try to KAS grab an attached base with a DERP already attached. Instant kraken in a box!

(Of course Jeb was fine, and Burbank got incinerated, of courseeee...)

If you couldn't tell, i'm having a blast working with these pods, thanks for thinking of/creating them!

I tried to add a DERP to a station already on orbit by loading the parts on a KAS container and then attaching them to the station, but it's not working... I mean, I can attach the propulsion to the hull of the station, but then I cant attach the escape pod over the propulsion module. Is it at all possible? :)

You do not attach the pod to the propulsion in the normal way-

It uses the same mechanic used to put the KAS containers into the KAS container Bay.

With the DERP pod on your back, right click the propulsion module and select "Store" and it will snap into place.

Edited by Smurfalot

You do not attach the pod to the propulsion in the normal way-

It uses the same mechanic used to put the KAS containers into the KAS container Bay.

With the DERP pod on your back, right click the propulsion module and select "Store" and it will snap into place.

Uuuuh! I saw the 'store' option when I right-clicked the propulsion, but I don't know why the heck I didn't try it. I guess I found it a bit odd. But it makes sense, since it's not possible to directly attach the pod. Thanks! xD

Yeah, if you flip back a few pages you will see me going through the same learning curve because I was having the exact same trouble. Just trying to pay it forward by helping someone having the same problem.