[1.10.0] NanoGauges - tiny ana1og gauges for kerbalnauts -1.10.0-3463

Nereid

i like the layout, and what tehy look like, but unless they're really in the ship it doesn't seem very helpful; just cluttered. Put these in a lander pod, and you have apollo LM gold.

Well, they are not designed to work inside a cockpit. They are for those of us that want to fly in a external view. And if you think they are cluttered: remove all gauges you don't want. Each of then can be disabled (hold right control) on the fly.

I picked up this mod for the good old trim indicators, and just now got around to trying out the actual NanoGauges themselves while flying unmanned spaceplane reentrys. I love the VSI that's more precise than stock, and can be placed next to the navball for better visibility. But I can't figure out what the vertical velocity gauge is for.

Any chance of expanding the range on the machmeter? It only displays values up to mach 10, and flying a reentry over Kerbin in any scaled up RSS system means your vehicle can easily get up to mach 20 or more.

AFAIR: There is no real difference in the VSI and the the vertical velocity gauge. The later one is just similar to the horizontal velocity gauge. Extending to Mach 20 should not be that difficult. But we will have to wait until mid of december. There is no time for me until then.

Edited by Nereid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like this mod, as for me, it mostly replaces the flight engineer from kerbal engineer redux, but then with less GUI clutter.

I did however, missed one value. The time till impact. So I made that one myself by copying some code from Kerbal Engineer into nano gauges.

I also made a time based log scale.

I've uploaded the added files to my server:

http://daid.eu/~daid/nanogauges/

Feel free to use them if you want or not. (You could use the scale for other time based gauges) However, due to the code copy from engineer, there could be licensing differences.

I really like this mod, as for me, it mostly replaces the flight engineer from kerbal engineer redux, but then with less GUI clutter.

I did however, missed one value. The time till impact. So I made that one myself by copying some code from Kerbal Engineer into nano gauges.

I also made a time based log scale.

I've uploaded the added files to my server:

http://daid.eu/~daid/nanogauges/

Feel free to use them if you want or not. (You could use the scale for other time based gauges) However, due to the code copy from engineer, there could be licensing differences.

Thanks.

For small code blocks licenses doesn't really matter. But because this could not be called "small" and I do not have the time to really understand the code and work on it for myself. but I will check the license from engineer.

And I'm again really surprised how other people can work around some very awful parts of my code and do still understand what they do. I have several excel sheets that will give me the correct constants to get the gauges working. There are so many magic numbers in there... ;)

EDIT: The license of Engineer doesn't permit commercial usage. The license of NanoGaues does. So even a short demo on youtube of Engineer with some kind of adverts would violate the license (because its clearly a commercial purpose). I hope the author of Engineer has thought about this legal headache for some lets-players out there. I have chosen the commercial version because of that and because bucky has used it, too (otherwise I had chosen a GPL). I will ask him, if I can include his work.

Edited by Nereid

I have noticed some problems for gauge positioning in 0.90. Sometimes the gauges move a few pixel without any reason. I'm aware of that and try to fix it in the next few days.

EDIT: fixed in 0.5.21-236

Edited by Nereid

EDIT: The license of Engineer doesn't permit commercial usage. The license of NanoGaues does. So even a short demo on youtube of Engineer with some kind of adverts would violate the license (because its clearly a commercial purpose). I hope the author of Engineer has thought about this legal headache for some lets-players out there. I have chosen the commercial version because of that and because bucky has used it, too (otherwise I had chosen a GPL). I will ask him, if I can include his work.

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/Documents/LICENCE.txt

As far as I can see. The code is just GPLv3. Which has an FAQ entry about commercial use:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NoMilitary

So that's no problem.

However, you're using a CC license. Which was never really intended for code, and not compatible with GPL. So unless you get permission, you sadly cannot include the code.

And you're code is actually quite easy to follow compared to things I've seen. Could use some more comments ;-) (especially with the formula you have in those excel sheets of yours. Took me a while to reverse engineer that)

https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer/blob/master/Documents/LICENCE.txt

However, you're using a CC license. Which was never really intended for code, and not compatible with GPL. So unless you get permission, you sadly cannot include the code.

This is strange, because in the form http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/18230-0-25-0-90-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v0-6-2-12(0-25)-and-v1-0-13-1(0-90) is licensed under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/deed.en_GB).

I know that those license are not intended for code. But bucky has used it. And to avoid any kind of conflict, I have used the same license. One problem of the CC licenses is, that you must release your work in this license again. Unfortunately its not compatible with GPLv3 (as most other licenses aren't).

So the code is released under GPLv3 but the plugin itself is still released under a non-commercial CC license. This again will bring back the problems about commercial purposes. This is one of the worst CC licenses, because of the (theoretical) legal trouble you're always in...

And you're code is actually quite easy to follow compared to things I've seen. Could use some more comments ;-) (especially with the formula you have in those excel sheets of yours. Took me a while to reverse engineer that)

Yes but it contains a lot of math. If have studied mathematics myself, but I don't have time and nerves at the moment to really understand the basics behind this. ;) And without this, I can't work myself on that (and claim that's my work).

EDIT: Ah, now I see it: He has changed the license for the 0.90 release. The 0.90 release is licensed under GPLv3, the 0.25 release is released under CC. Now we have to ask, which version we are using. ;) But again: GPLv3 cant be copied into a CC license. The good news: I have asked the author yesterday for a permission to copy his work.

Edited by Nereid

I copied the code from the latest release. But, I could get the same code from the older releases as well I guess. But that would still give a -NC conflict. (cc-by-nc is a pretty bad license anyhow. As it's very unclear what is actual "commercial use". And enforcing that part will most likely not hold in court. Which is why cc recommends no longer using it)

However, the easiest route would be permission. I know I couldn't work out a proper working algorithm myself

(Still, else, the time based gauge could also be used for time-till apo/peri, or other "time till" gauges)

A couple of quick feature requests, if I may -

* I like to have a stack of gauges at top right, as I fly, beneath the stock toolbar. Trouble is, the stock mouseover pop-ups for notifications, contracts, resources, etc., then show _beneath_ the gauges I have there, which makes them pretty well unreadable. Any chance of making the gauges appear below them, rather than right at the top of the window stack?

* Would it be possible to have an option to show a magnified version of a gauge on mouse-over, possibly included in the tool-tip, or even - although not quite as shiny - just to include the current displayed value of a given gauge in its tool-tip? I run KSP at a pretty high resolution, and while the default gauge size is great for displaying a lot of them and getting a gestalt of the flight status, sometimes I find myself squinting to get the details of just one or two. This in particular would be really helpful for me.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

-c

However, the easiest route would be permission. I know I couldn't work out a proper working algorithm myself

I got the permission from cybutek. I'm currently fighting some (minor) bugs in FF. If I'm done with that, I will release a new version with the impact gauge included.

A couple of quick feature requests, if I may -

* I like to have a stack of gauges at top right, as I fly, beneath the stock toolbar. Trouble is, the stock mouseover pop-ups for notifications, contracts, resources, etc., then show _beneath_ the gauges I have there, which makes them pretty well unreadable. Any chance of making the gauges appear below them, rather than right at the top of the window stack?

* Would it be possible to have an option to show a magnified version of a gauge on mouse-over, possibly included in the tool-tip, or even - although not quite as shiny - just to include the current displayed value of a given gauge in its tool-tip? I run KSP at a pretty high resolution, and while the default gauge size is great for displaying a lot of them and getting a gestalt of the flight status, sometimes I find myself squinting to get the details of just one or two. This in particular would be really helpful for me.

I will try to change the window stack for the gauges. But I'm not sure if this could be done.

An option for a exact readout in a tooltip is an easy one. Maybe I will include this in the next release this day.

EDIT: delayed, because I will try to implement some kind of zoom.

Edited by Nereid

Cool.

If you want. I could fix up some more time gauges and I found a few minor things I could improve in the impact time gauge. But would be easier if there was some kind of version control... (I use a lot of github for work)

Cool.

If you want. I could fix up some more time gauges and I found a few minor things I could improve in the impact time gauge. But would be easier if there was some kind of version control... (I use a lot of github for work)

I'm still using SVN on a local NAS. I'm using SVN in my office too, so I'm a bit reluctant to switch to another VCS. Its on my todo list, but with very low priority.

Maybe I'm to dumb but I can't figure out how to move the gauges around. Also I can't select a preset in the preset gauge or delete one by clicking the red X. Linux related bug?
Hey Nereid, I am having trouble moving my gauges around, none of them are clickable/movable even with the "lock" option on or off. Any idea where to start looking? Mod conflict perhaps (I run a lot of mods)?

Same problem here. Can't move, drag or close any gauges by clicking on them. Using Windows here so it doesn't seem to be related to Linux.

The non movable gauges are my fault. I have tried to get the gauges behind the toolbar popups and changed the drawing queue. Because all gauges were drawn behind other windows (not the toolbar popups unfortunately), I didn't changed it back. My gauges are all in place, so I didn't check to move them again and this side effect got unnoticed.

Fixed in 0.5.23-295. Uploading now.

Edited by Nereid

Cool.

I have created a repository for NanoGauges on Guthub: http://github.com/Nereid42/NanoGauges. But I will rearrange the folder structure of the project in the near future. This is my second project in C# and VisualStudioExpress and I was a bit to lazy to create a folder structure for the sources yet. And because I'm new to Github too, version history may break for the files, when I work on this. In my office I'm working with Java, C++, SVN or Clearcase most of the time. And you will find quite a few Java typical parts in the code.

BTW: I prefer

if ( /* condition */ )
{
// something
}
else
{
// something
}

over

if ( /* condition */ ) {
// something
} else {
// something
}

Even if this is discouraged in the Java code conventions.

I'm still using SVN on a local NAS. I'm using SVN in my office too, so I'm a bit reluctant to switch to another VCS. Its on my todo list, but with very low priority.

Ah, the old school way ;-) (just kidding, was using CVS at the old job a few years ago. And also used SVN. But I found git to be a real charm to work with. Just so you know)

EDIT: Ok, that post timing was off.

I'll try to keep the code in your code convention (I usually do not care too much about these conventions, as long as people don't to silly things like the GNU style)

I'll send some small pull requests soon. Should make it easy&quick to merge while giving you all the freedom to re-arrange things.

Edited by Daid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.