[1.10.0] NanoGauges - tiny ana1og gauges for kerbalnauts -1.10.0-3463

Nereid

Thank you so much for bringing back the Bucky gauges! I loved using them for flying in external view so I could keep vert speed and radar alt next to the nav ball.

If there's remotely a chance to drag them bigger/smaller, it would be great. As it is, they're just barely small enough to not easily read. :)

My addiction to Steam Gauges may finally be broken --except of course for the full-screen HUD.

I don't have any plans to make them resizeable, sorry. A HUD is completely out of scope. There are other mods out there (Steam Gauges), that do a real good job about this.

My future plans so far:

• Add a gauge for heat shield temp (done in 0.5.11)
  • Add a gauge for flap positions (difficult)
  • Maybe trim positions

Edited by Nereid

Nereid, can you provide larger skin images? I found how to upscale gauge windows myself, but my painting skills are awful.

Not that soon. Because of a mistake I made most of the skins are undersized anyway. They should have 100x42 pixel, but the skins are only about 80x42 pixel. But its rarely noticeable on screen (Unity does a good job on rescaling). And at the moment all skins are derived from a skin that's a resample of Buckys Instruments. Maybe some day I will use only one skin with individual text painted on runtime over it. Or I will write a small generator for the skins. But at the moment this would be too much work. My eyes are not the best, but I can read the gauges very well and resizing them would cover to much space on the screen. This is a personal opinion of course and if someone else would upscale the skins and scales, so that they look well in their current and their native resolution I can implement an option for larger gauges. I have to get rid of a few magic numbers in the code of course, but this is doable. But I will accept the skins and scale only, if the look the same or better in the current small resolution. No compromises on this.

Well, I found magic numbers, and I found that gauge beeing created with size from module AbstractGauge.cs. I made simple buttons in config window to resize gauges, but now I don't know how to apply new sizes to them.

The classes are not perfect yet. I know this. I had a lot of trouble to get them to work at the beginning (Unity is really weird in some aspects) and I have just not done some kind of overhaul of the class hierarchy. I have some other gauges with other sizes in mind, so the magic numbers must be replaced soon. But the current version is working and this kind of "redesign" of the code is a boring task.

Because of the constants in the textures and in the scale-drawing-algorithm, apllying new sizes would not be that easy at the moment. Some magic numbers are from my spreadsheet. They create the mapping to the logarithmic scale. This is not a pretty way to make the scales work, but it had worked for the first and it's easy to apply without doing to much math.

Until I get rid of some magic numbers, you will find resizing the gauges to be a hard task. Doable, but really no fun.

Edited by Nereid

• 3 weeks later...

Hey nereid,

'tis a cool mod you got there, but of course after saying this I'll immediately turn around and pester you with a few small requests ;):

• Can you also support NEAR? Code-wise it's just a stripped down FAR, so it should be somewhat easy... (?)
  • Is there a way (preferably configurable) to still display the gauges when the rest of the UI is disabled with F1? Say, for preeeeetty screenshots with some select information about height, or to make it possible to fly with just some gauges visible for added difficultyfun.
  • I personally would be happier with clustering if it only stuck one row together at a time, not multiple gauges above each other, but I realize that's very subjective. There might be people wanting to arrange them all in a single column, and for them my horizontal clustering would be useless...

Anyway it's much more stylish to have a fuel gauge than to constantly peek at that resource button, very nice mod!

• 1 month later...

These things are marvelous. They are clean and clear, with a good use of color. I certainly don't want them ALL on the screen at once :) but there are a few that have found a home near the center of my field of vision. Thanks much for all your hard work.

i finally found the time to use this mod and the variety of displays is amazing. One question though, it would be nice for the gauges to be able to resize them. I find it difficult for some gauges to read but if the gauges i like were a bit larger it would replace the steam gauges hands down. I know you mention that if someone wants bigger gauges they should use steam gauges but as i mentioned the resize addition would be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm still abit busy atm. Too much coding/debugging in real live prevents me from supporting my mods at the moment. And there are other games than KSP of course.

But to answer a few questions:

Hey nereid,

[*]Can you also support NEAR? Code-wise it's just a stripped down FAR, so it should be somewhat easy... (?)

I have tried to get NEAR to work, but NEAR won't support Mach-Numbers. At least at the time I have asked the dev of NEAR.

Hey nereid,

[*]Is there a way (preferably configurable) to still display the gauges when the rest of the UI is disabled with F1? Say, for preeeeetty screenshots with some select information about height, or to make it possible to fly with just some gauges visible for added difficultyfun.

To be honest, Id didn't event realized yet that the gauges will go away if the UI is hidden...

Hey nereid,

[*]I personally would be happier with clustering if it only stuck one row together at a time, not multiple gauges above each other, but I realize that's very subjective. There might be people wanting to arrange them all in a single column, and for them my horizontal clustering would be useless...

Well. The autolayout function was a bit tricky to implement. I have done it for myself, because I'm to lazy to get a pretty layout by hand. But a vertical alignment should be not that hard todo. Maybe in a next release. But don't expect one in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my staple plugins in Ksp, I do hope its officially implemented in the future. :)

My request is: Make the gauges self dock in a predefined space between each, that way is faster to order and set up them around the scren (im an order maniac). I'm asking about the spaces between each, so it does "dock" to screen and in relation to each.

An example of docking with fixed minimum spaces: http://gridster.net/

Auto-ordering is not necessary imho, xD just the fixed empty spaces inbetween each.

My request is: Make the gauges self dock in a predefined space between each, that way is faster to order and set up them around the scren (im an order maniac). I'm asking about the spaces between each, so it does "dock" to screen and in relation to each.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. :) Well, I will give it a try. Maybe today, maybe next week. We will see.

NanoGauges 0.5.14-105 is online

• KSP-AVC support
  • Version scheme changed (KSP-AVC scheme)
  • Optional stock toolbar button
  • Gauges do now snap to each other
  • Approximated Mach number on Kerbin, if FAR isn't installed.

NanoGauges 0.5.15-138 is online

• trim indicators (optional)

The trim indicators are based on an idea by dazoe but were completely redone. They are enabled by default. If you are using your own trim indicators or those by dazoe you should disable them in the NanoGauge configuration and restart KSP.

Edited by Nereid

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up this mod for the good old trim indicators, and just now got around to trying out the actual NanoGauges themselves while flying unmanned spaceplane reentrys. I love the VSI that's more precise than stock, and can be placed next to the navball for better visibility. But I can't figure out what the vertical velocity gauge is for.

Any chance of expanding the range on the machmeter? It only displays values up to mach 10, and flying a reentry over Kerbin in any scaled up RSS system means your vehicle can easily get up to mach 20 or more.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.