[1.5.x]Dr. Jet's Chop Shop v0.11.4.3 (20.10.2018)

Dr. Jet

Your dual axis solar panel is really cool. Have you plans to make a 2.5m ISS style solar wing?

It is in plan. As it was for a LOOOONG time already. But finishing that draft I already have is a complex task. Especially the thin-film panels and deployment animation.

After you asked about SSP-2, I started to think about it's animations... So I invented a new kinematic scheme which will be less complicated and even more compact.

Now that I tried it in Blender and it works, I'm pretty sure I will finish the part on my vacation at July. Extending truss and texturing will require more work.

Edited by Dr. Jet

• 3 weeks later...

for the skycrane parts, could you switch ModuleAnimateGeneric out for BahaMutoD animated modules? (or atleast with MM cfg if mod installed), AnimatedEngine was made for cases like this, so engine is only on when deployed :) seeing thrust fire when its retracted is just ;_; (might need to adjust some names to fit it to the module)

love all the adapter parts and the solar panels

edit: had a few min so thought id throw this in for ya

@PART[dskycrane_mk1|dskycrane_mk1]:NEEDS[bDAnimationModules]:FOR[bDAnimationMuodules]

{

!MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric] {}

MODULE

{

name = AnimatedEngine

EngineAnimationName = deploy

WaitForAnimation = 0.95

}

}

only works if mod installed, else uses your default cfg :)

Edited by Scientist

for the skycrane parts, could you switch ModuleAnimateGeneric out for BahaMutoD animated modules?

BahamutoD module config was there before 1.0. They were unsupported for a long time after 1.0 so I removed that config from my mod. If it works again now - I'll add it back.

Got some inspiring progress with independent animations. Will update soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Hm-m-m... animations are fine and I updated SSP mk1 for that. But... parts are overheating and exploding under sunlight for no visible reason. Thermal profiles are pretty much like stock...

- - - Updated - - -

Strange... That seem to be a problem with pre 1.0.2 saved vehicles only. Good... One less trouble to fix before updating.

Update 0.7.3 is out.

qEytLUw.jpg

v 0.7.3

- New Smart Solar Panel Mk2 (long awaited)

- New tweakable 1-100 kg counterweight.

- Animations revision for both SSP-1 and SSP-2. Now wings deployment and rotator activation are independent and should glitch less when activated from right-click menu.

- Config updates for SPP butts and noses according to 1.0.4 stock settings.

- Better collider for LTS-2 upper stage.

- Some RealFuels compatibility patches.

- Soil sampler model rebuilt with proper parameters. Still crappy though.

- "Cargo bay" patch for Rugged Rover body by Kerbas_ad_astra. Also less heat conductivity to make it have sense.

- Bahamuto Dynamics animation plugin support (for automatic Sky Crane deployment) returned from deprecated.zip.

- Few minor bugfixes.

- - - Updated - - -

:mad:

Forgot to export SPP config changes.

Update 0.7.3 is out.

http://i.imgur.com/qEytLUw.jpg

v 0.7.3

- New Smart Solar Panel Mk2 (long awaited)

- New tweakable 1-100 kg counterweight.

- Animations revision for both SSP-1 and SSP-2. Now wings deployment and rotator activation are independent and should glitch less when activated from right-click menu.

- Config updates for SPP butts and noses according to 1.0.4 stock settings.

- Better collider for LTS-2 upper stage.

- Some RealFuels compatibility patches.

- Soil sampler model rebuilt with proper parameters. Still crappy though.

- "Cargo bay" patch for Rugged Rover body by Kerbas_ad_astra. Also less heat conductivity to make it have sense.

- Bahamuto Dynamics animation plugin support (for automatic Sky Crane deployment) returned from deprecated.zip.

- Few minor bugfixes.

- - - Updated - - -

:mad:

Forgot to export SPP config changes.

Awesome!

For the changelog, I propose writing it in markdown, eg:

**New Parts**

* New Smart Solar Panel Mk2 (long awaited)

* New tweakable 1-100 kg counterweight.

**Adjustments**

* Animations revision for both SSP-1 and SSP-2. Now wings deployment and rotator activation are independent and should glitch less when activated from right-click menu.

and so on for the kerbalstuff changelog.

Then once published on kerbalstuff, you can copy paste it from the kerbalstuff changelog back here and it will look like it does on kerbalstuff.

This forum supports markdown? I was pretty sure that vBulletin-based forums does not.

- - - Updated - - -

smart solar panels are auto-deploying in vab and i cant retract them

It should not behave like that. Normal behavior in VAB for current version is toggling wings (but not rotator) via right click. Ensure you don't have addons which mess with animations. If you do - they are pretty much incompatible as they assume you have ONE animation for each part, but SSP parts have TWO.

This forum supports markdown? I was pretty sure that vBulletin-based forums does not.

Nope, but the kerbalstuff changelog does.

And then you can copy it from there over here and it will continue to look nice and you only have to write it once.

Nope, but the kerbalstuff changelog does.

And then you can copy it from there over here and it will continue to look nice and you only have to write it once.

How so? This forum texts are formatted with BBCode. Markdown does not translate to BBCode. What you see as a result of markdown parsing is not translated to BBCode either.

Of course I could waste more time formatting changelog in BBCode... but that doesn't worth it.

Edited by Dr. Jet

How so? This forum texts are formatted with BBCode. Markdown does not translate to BBCode. What you see as a result of markdown parsing is not translated to BBCode either.

Of course I could waste more time formatting changelog in BBCode... but that doesn't worth it.

At the moment, the kerbalstuff changelog is just a long sentence.

If you would write it in markdown, publish it there and then copy paste the changelog from kerbalstuff (instead of the other way aroung), it would look ok in both instances.

I m actually doing the same for SETI. No additional time needed, just different procedure of copy pasting.

Can you please make the larger Smart Solar Panel compatible with Connected Living Spaces so Kerbonauts can pass through the center? (I assume those are pressurized hatches in the middle that could let it connect two inhabited modules without blocking access?)

was playing with the panels (granted was on kerbin surface) but

at 'noon' sun exposure says 0.38

at 'sunset' sun exposure reaches 1.00

seconds after hits 0

somethin sounds screwy and backwards, but stock modules so -.-

Can you please make the larger Smart Solar Panel compatible with Connected Living Spaces so Kerbonauts can pass through the center? (I assume those are pressurized hatches in the middle that could let it connect two inhabited modules without blocking access?)

Yep. They are. Though i didn't think someone may still use glitchy CLS that refuses to transfer kerbals through fully passable paths 9 times of 10. Will include CLS config for this and structural hubs in next patch.

Very simple config in fact.

@PART[hub_5nodes]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace

passable = true

}

}

@PART[hub_6nodes]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]

{

MODULE

{

passable = true

}

}

@PART[hub_8nodes]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]

{

MODULE

{

passable = true

}

}

@PART[sSP_mk2]:NEEDS[ConnectedLivingSpace]

{

MODULE

{

passable = true

}

}

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance you could package your SpacePlane+ extensions as separate?

I already thought about mod separation. Current part variety is too wide. Maybe will do it after finishing with manned rovers. Separate mod for rovers, separate for SPP parts, separate for utility parts. For now I recommend using CKAN with Part Manager plugin. It will allow you to remove anything you don't use and save memory. Though my mod is very RAM-lightweight anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing that'd be nice to have is radiators on the back of the Smart Solar Panels to aid in cooling.

Hm-m-m... They are configured similarly to stock solar panels to have "emissiveConstant = 0.95". That's pretty much like a radiator... or it WAS before 1.0.4.

I haven't figured out yet how ModuleActiveRadiator works but ModuleDeployableRadiator is surely not compatible with animated solar panels.

Do you really face heating troubles when using this part?

- - - Updated - - -

was playing with the panels (granted was on kerbin surface) but

at 'noon' sun exposure says 0.38

at 'sunset' sun exposure reaches 1.00

seconds after hits 0

somethin sounds screwy and backwards, but stock modules so -.-

There are TWO solar panel modules in part and correspondingly - TWO "sun exposures" shown in menu. One is for wings that actually produce electricity, another is for rotator to find optimal wing position. Second one will show 0.9-1.0 at sunrise/sunset and 0-0.1 at midday and zero power production at any time. Wings "sun exposure" should always show 1.0 and have 100% production (which is actually the reason to have dual axis). If it's not 1.0 - your vehicle is either rotating too fast or is in the shadow of planet or something.

Edited by Dr. Jet

It should not behave like that. Normal behavior in VAB for current version is toggling wings (but not rotator) via right click. Ensure you don't have addons which mess with animations. If you do - they are pretty much incompatible as they assume you have ONE animation for each part, but SSP parts have TWO.

I am getting the same issue but only on the SSP Mk2. The previous SSP Mk1 never has, and still does not auto deploy in the VAB. The only mod I'm running that has anything to do with animations is BahamutoD's Animation Module and the Firespitter Core. Is there some difference in animations between the Mk1 and Mk2 that would cause one of these two mods to conflict with the Mk2 but not the Mk1?

I am getting the same issue but only on the SSP Mk2. The previous SSP Mk1 never has, and still does not auto deploy in the VAB. The only mod I'm running that has anything to do with animations is BahamutoD's Animation Module and the Firespitter Core. Is there some difference in animations between the Mk1 and Mk2 that would cause one of these two mods to conflict with the Mk2 but not the Mk1?

The only difference is that Mk1 is now full Unity animation (was full Blender before) and Mk2 is mix of Blender and Unity. Everything works fine for me, I can't reproduce a bug you are talking about.

P.S. It's NOT the Firespitter. I have it installed.

P.P.S. Try to install Stock Bug Fix Modules. There were some fixes for animation glitches before.

The only difference is that Mk1 is now full Unity animation (was full Blender before) and Mk2 is mix of Blender and Unity. Everything works fine for me, I can't reproduce a bug you are talking about.

P.S. It's NOT the Firespitter. I have it installed.

P.P.S. Try to install Stock Bug Fix Modules. There were some fixes for animation glitches before.

Yeah I already run the Stock Bug Fix mod largely for those animation glitches. It's a weird one to try and track down since only one of the two parts is affected but I'm gonna keep trying to isolate it and will let you know if I figure it out. I've got a HUGE install of mods and there's no telling which one maybe making the Mk2 hiccup like it is. No worries and if you get any other ideas for things I might try fire away and I'll be happy to test anything out.

P.S. I feel bad for not saying this in my first post since as a rule of thumb I mean too always do so - great job on this mod man. I really do love it a lot. You've got such nifty little parts that really help make things easier and make more sense (like your rover bodies - LOVE 'EM!). Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do.