[1.5.x]Dr. Jet's Chop Shop v0.11.4.3 (20.10.2018)

Dr. Jet

Hi,

i have some Problems with the ssp MK2 as well.

mainly, that they are not expanded when the actionmenu says they are.

Clicking on "retract" makes the appearing and retracting.

After that i can expand again and get the Animation.. until next vessel Switch, when they are not visible anymore.

have baha & firesplitter cores as rasta has.

have no compareable Problem with any other parts but them.

for the MK1 (first) rotor panel, i like how you fixed the animations so now extend is perfect and jerk free, in any order

retract can still jerk it for the rotor module, any chance of cleaning that up?

edit: IMO the 'speed' the panels themselves deploy is way quick, about 1 sec, i wouldnt mind that being atleast 5 sec minimum :)

Edited by Scientist

Hi,

i have some Problems with the ssp MK2 as well.

mainly, that they are not expanded when the actionmenu says they are.

Clicking on "retract" makes the appearing and retracting.

After that i can expand again and get the Animation.. until next vessel Switch, when they are not visible anymore.

have baha & firesplitter cores as rasta has.

have no compareable Problem with any other parts but them.

That's just with MK2, right? If Mk1 is OK, then I have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it. If Mk1 shows the same behavior... then I have no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

for the MK1 (first) rotor panel, i like how you fixed the animations so now extend is perfect and jerk free, in any order

retract can still jerk it for the rotor module, any chance of cleaning that up?

edit: IMO the 'speed' the panels themselves deploy is way quick, about 1 sec, i wouldnt mind that being atleast 5 sec minimum :)

Hm-m-m... 5 seconds - how much is that in Unity frames?

That's just with MK2, right? If Mk1 is OK, then I have an idea what is wrong and how to fix it. If Mk1 shows the same behavior... then I have no idea.

yeah, its just mk2. mk1 is perfect.

have seen that the "animation speed" was somewhere set to "0" on mk2 and "1" on mk1, iirc;

but i wasnt sure if it has to do with my observation.

if screens would help, just say so.

PART
{
name = solarPanels2
MODULE
{
name = ModuleDeployableSolarPanel
isEnabled = True
currentRotation = (-0.01066998, 0.7069766, -0.7070783, 0.0105201)
stateString = EXTENDED
storedAnimationTime = 0
storedAnimationSpeed = 0
EVENTS
{
}
}

Edited by Speadge

Well... It seem to be an old bad "dual animation state" bug that once plaqued Balka Solar Panels. KSP engine restrictions on treating stock module animations.

Swaping two modules in config so that rotator module come first should solve the trouble but will disable visible in-VAB deployment. Will try this tomorrow. If it works - I'll release a patch. Animation state saving is more important than VAB deployment.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Trying to fix the abovementioned bugs, I learned some interesting facts about how KSP engine (over Unity) treats solar panel animations.

• If you have more than one ModuleDeployableSolarPanel then only the FIRST of those is shown in VAB as "deploy" button.
  • If you have more than one ModuleDeployableSolarPanel then only the LAST one properly save it's animation state between vessel switches/loads.
  • Proper panel retraction (without sudden "teleports") depends of trackingSpeed parameter and deployment animation length in seconds.

Patch 0.7.3.2 is out (as always - Kerbalstuff immediately, CurseForge in couple of hours).

• Both SSP Mk1 and Mk2 animations revised for longer deployment and sane rotator docking animation (at cost of 5 seconds rotator activation pause).
  • Both SSP Mk1 and Mk2 are fixed to keep position on vehicle switch/load (at cost of non-working VAB deployment).
  • CLS Support

Attention! Now first button in SSPs right-click menu is for rotator and SECOND is for wings. Rotator will wait 5 seconds before starting to work.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Really cool, these solar arrays.

I was wondering though, is it possible to do a version without the 2.5m circular truss bits?

liBf5Zkl.png

This is an example of what will be part of my solar truss on my station. The circular bits poke right out as the truss sections are downscaled a little. This would also make life easier if someone wanted HUGE solar arrays and upscaled them in the .cfg. (which is what I would be doing, as the ISS solar arrays are ridiculously large, and that's the effect I'm after)

Kind of like how the balka arrays are, basically (But your compact stowed method is so much easier to deal with by the way!)

e: wow, I'm really impressed with how they animate.

Edited by falken

Noone have commented hubs yet... I think people just didn't get the point...

They are all about multidocking superstability!

IeNk0Yu.png

ATNrRj9.png

Should I include this rigid assemblies in sample crafts?

Noone have commented hubs yet... I think people just didn't get the point...

They are all about multidocking superstability!

http://i.imgur.com/IeNk0Yu.png

http://i.imgur.com/ATNrRj9.png

Should I include this rigid assemblies in sample crafts?

I like them a lot, sample craft make sense, but screenshots in the OP would reach far more people.

Just stumpled upon a request/example by makkz, which would fit nicely into the ChopShop array of ingenious parts:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128699

Not about the procedural thing, but about the schematic of post #3 in that thread.

bAHHSk5.jpg

A hexagonal cargo bay. Personally I would change it a bit.

No compartments, but instead 3 of the outer walls fixed (compartment hexagon is roughly available with UniversalStorage). The other 3 sides are unfoldable solar panels as shown in the schematic. Not sure if it needs a core truss, of if it is better to leave the interior unobstructed, so people may even use it as a small garage for a micro rover (for which the solar panel supports would need to be on the side or non-existant, to not obstruct the opening).

I propose making the graphics for 2.5m, but using rescale factor to make the part fit into 1.25m diameter. Then it could be available relatively early in the tech tree and players can use TweakScale for 0.625m to 3.75m...

Edited by Yemo

the shape of em is fine, but only reason i dont really use the hubs is the color, just doesn't quite fit, too....grey....seems like it should be white such as the plane parts

yay solar panel updates, time to retest :D

main reason i got the mod was solar panels and skycranes heh

edit: +1 for the service bay + solar panel part, but having 3 panels might cause more issue for tracking lol

upside they only need be single axis, downside the 120 deg seperation

Edited by Scientist

No compartments, but instead 3 of the outer walls fixed (compartment hexagon is roughly available with UniversalStorage). The other 3 sides are unfoldable solar panels as shown in the schematic. Not sure if it needs a core truss, of if it is better to leave the interior unobstructed, so people may even use it as a small garage for a micro rover.

I propose making the graphics for 2.5m, but using rescale factor to make the part fit into 1.25m diameter. Then it could be available relatively early in the tech tree and players can use TweakScale for 0.625m to 3.75m...

Hm-m-m... Interesting proposal. A hexagonal prism cargo bay with 3 sides opening like petals that appear to be solar panels...

Unfortunately it won't work as expected. I cannot make 3 ModuleDeployableSolarPanel modules to work in single part. Even two is a trouble (barely manageable). On the other hand I CAN make all three hatches a single module... but then there will be the problem of a single suncatcher. If I place it on one petal or even farther out of part (it's invisible thing anyway) - it will be half-time "in shadow" of part itself or other parts. Not good at all. :(

Hm-m-m... making the part not inline, but topless and unfolding like a chinese box? Payload won't obstruct the suncatcher that much... Hm-m-m... plausible... but how to make that top piece? Hex won't fit with rectangular petals, rectangular won't fully close the top... Six double-parted petals with non-uniform scale? That will work, but won't leave any "walls" after deployment.

Make it two attachable parts? Will work, but won't give cargo bay shielding...

Edited by Dr. Jet

the shape of em is fine, but only reason i dont really use the hubs is the color, just doesn't quite fit, too....grey....seems like it should be white such as the plane parts

yay solar panel updates, time to retest :D

main reason i got the mod was solar panels and skycranes heh

edit: +1 for the service bay + solar panel part, but having 3 panels might cause more issue for tracking lol

upside they only need be single axis, downside the 120 deg seperation

Yep, the color of the hubs is a bit off, at least when viewed in the VAB. I also recommend using the Space Station Expansions parts from Nertea as a reference.

I would just make the solar panels rigid as shown above (only foldable to become the side farings), but retractable.

For interplanetary craft, the direction from which the sun comes is relatively stable anyway. And for a lander probe, it would work as well. It would be a part of the mission challenge, to account for EC/the direction of your craft/the choice of landing sites/orbits. Eg it would work fine for probes, where the direction of the sun is relatively stable for the time of the mission if you choose a polar orbit. It would not work for ComSats, since eventually you would have to correct the direction of your spacecraft.

But then again, it would be an interesting speciality part.

the shape of em is fine, but only reason i dont really use the hubs is the color, just doesn't quite fit, too....grey....

Have you put them in light? It's not grey, it's metallic. Not polished but still shiny. :cool: And fits quite well with docking port colors.

P.S. I will include "white" stockalike texture in mod if someone draw it for me but won't care to draw it myself. Too hard to imagine how proper stockalike texture should look for carved sphere.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Hm-m-m... Interesting proposal. A hexagonal prism cargo bay with 3 sides opening like petals that appear to be solar panels...

Unfortunately it won't work as expected. I cannot make 3 ModuleDeployableSolarPanel modules to work in single part. Even two is a trouble (barely manageable). On the other hand I CAN make all three hatches a single module... but then there will be the problem of a single suncatcher. If I place it on one petal or even farther out of part (it's invisible thing anyway) - it will behalf-time "in shadow" of part itself or other parts. Not good at all. :(

Hm-m-m... making the part not inline, but topless and unfolding like a chinese box? Payload won't obstruct the suncatcher that much... Hm-m-m... plausible... but how to make that top piece? Hex won't fit with rectangular petals, rectangular won't fully close the top... Six double-parted petals with non-unofirm scale? That will work, but won't leave any "walls" after deployment.

Make it two attachable parts? Will work, but won't give cargo bay shielding...

Yep, all 3 hatches would work together. No suncatcher, just rigid.

The 3 non-opening walls could be made out of solar panels as well, to provide minimal emergency power if the vehicle does not face the the sun head on (so that the door panels work).

as for the solar panel issues, i wrote a mod (have to register to kerbalstuff now -.- or dif way to give to ya) that just changes module name and hides the extra 3 lines of 'useless' solar panel text on right click menu, looks to also solve your save issues (likely from module name change)

Have you put them in light? It's not grey, it's metallic. Not polished but still shiny. :cool: And fits quite well with docking port colors.

P.S. I will include "white" stockalike texture in mod if someone draw it for me but won't care to draw it myself. Too hard to imagine how proper stockalike texture should look for carved sphere.

For SETIctt, I recolored a ProceduralParts texture to be somewhat in line with stock aircraft parts (called it WhiteFuselage). It is extremely simple, but it works surprisingly well:

6noq8JQ.png

might want to update your premade ships. for hell of it loaded up 1 while part cleaning (was the one with the 2 white tanks in lander format and a aerospike on bottom). when loaded and launched the outer lander tank would explolde due to heat cause the premade ships probaly havent been updated in your pack.

thought i would mention it as something for misc throwing in your next patch.

Yep, all 3 hatches would work together. No suncatcher, just rigid.

Suncatcher is an invisible (usually) subpart that decides whether your solar panel is in light or in shadow (works or not). One such thing is allowed per module. If you want working solar panels you must have at least one.

The 3 non-opening walls could be made out of solar panels as well, to provide minimal emergency power if the vehicle does not face the the sun head on (so that the door panels work).

And that's even more troublesome. FOUR ModuleDeployableSolarPanels will be needed. Thought only one animation and no tracking.

Idea is very nice, I admit. But I don't yet see the way how to do it with KSP module restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

might want to update your premade ships. for hell of it loaded up 1 while part cleaning (was the one with the 2 white tanks in lander format and a aerospike on bottom). when loaded and launched the outer lander tank would explolde due to heat cause the premade ships probaly havent been updated in your pack.

Other sample crafts explode too? I thought it was just the Ion Probe... Ok, will rebuilt them.

- - - Updated - - -

as for the solar panel issues, i wrote a mod (have to register to kerbalstuff now -.- or dif way to give to ya) that just changes module name and hides the extra 3 lines of 'useless' solar panel text on right click menu, looks to also solve your save issues (likely from module name change)

Can you be more specific about what exactly your plugin does? SSPs use BOTH modules they have and their buttons should not be hidden.

Suncatcher is an invisible (usually) subpart that decides whether your solar panel is in light or in shadow (works or not). One such thing is allowed per module. If you want working solar panels you must have at least one.

And that's even more troublesome. FOUR ModuleDeployableSolarPanels will be needed. Thought only one animation and no tracking.

Idea is very nice, I admit. But I don't yet see the way how to do it with KSP module restrictions.

Other sample crafts explode too? I thought it was just the Ion Probe... Ok, will rebuilt them.

Can you be more specific about what exactly your plugin does? SSPs use BOTH modules they have and their buttons should not be hidden.

Whoops, thought the suncatcher was the tracking.

Then only the one module, consisting of the three foldable door panels. Without tracking, they face the same direction anyway when deployed.

NearFuture Solar has some speciality solar panels which are non-flat. Otherwise, players can just stick tweakscaled flat panels (either stock or your rover panels) on the 3 fixed sides.

Would be the easiest solution, and would still provide a great, unique part to the catalog.

Dr. Jet said:

[Defunct link removed by a moderator]

when using 2 ModuleDeploableSolarPanels you have 2 sets of numbers on right click menu of the part, saving issues, etc

the above mod provides a new ModuleSolarTracking (use it instead of the 2nd ModuleDeployableSolarPanel thats 0 chargeRate)

it inherits the stock module, does not hide buttons, changes nothing, just hides the 'useless' lines of power/sunexposure

since the module name changes, it looks to have fixed the saving issue

play with it, dont care what you do with it :) made it or me, just thought id toss it out to share and be nice lol

i was tempted to hide the buttons as well, merging function into 1 button set, but leaving it gives me flexibility

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

A link to edit your mod? I'm not authorized to do that. :P It seems that you have not released it for public yet.

Checked all sample crafts. Nothing explodes due to thermal errors.

However Minmus Sampler (pre 0.90 design) burn on reentry. Revisioned 1.0.4+ design is ready for next patch.

Lander Mk2 have a collision of bottom stage when decoupling if you try to fly it on Kerbin. That's normal behavior due to aerodynamic drag. Bluntheaded bricks are not designed to fly in atmosphere afterall.

Should I replace Orbital Taxi with more badass design, having 700+ dV at LKO?