Dr. Jet

[1.5.x]Dr. Jet's Chop Shop v0.11.4.3 (20.10.2018)

Recommended Posts

 

16 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I have an issue, dunno if related.

...


Config(!PART[AeroBlister2]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FINAL) ChopShop/ModuleManager/TweakScale/!PART[AeroBlister2]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FINAL

but I was able to attach them two days ago WITHOUT TweakScale in GameData.

Now TweakScale (v2.2.11.2) IS in GameData.

Could that be the culprit?

 

Yep. Something is wrong with latest TweakScale builds and I can't find out what... yet. But it looks like pre-configured pattern overrides are disabled for parts

Try to delete /ChopShop/ModuleManager/TweakScale.cfg - my parts will behave as if TweakScale was not installed.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.9.0.4 mini-patch to counter TweakScale bug. You'll still need a latest DEV version of TweakScale for correct solar panel scaling though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else with the blisters.

I only can afford to decouple at a straight ascent, as soon as the angle is below 85° or so they kill my stage in a neat explosion.

Perhaps the power of the solid boosters is not strong enough or they face in the wrong direction?

 

Edit:

OMG - it's much worse. Before my last attempt to decouple by staging manually because it'd so darn slow until the last crumb of solid fuel is burnt, I hit F5.
Bang!

F9 - this time I just did nothing - until the booster really were empty and MJ auto-staging did its job...

Then, it stuttered like hell. Hell^3.

I managed it to get ProcessExplorer running and in focus - RAM full.
Normally I get a max. of 11.9 GB RAM usage with KSP and my mod list.

But the blister made my day...

I'll guess I avoid it from now on, sorry.

The log until kill_process (I gave it 10 minutes, but it was awful, total RAM overload):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/058n2185o7iqfru/2016-05-29-4%20RAM%20exploded%20after%20Blister%20decoupling%20and%20Tank%20explosion.7z?dl=0

Edited by Gordon Dry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Something else with the blisters.

I only can afford to decouple at a straight ascent, as soon as the angle is below 85° or so they kill my stage in a neat explosion.

Perhaps the power of the solid boosters is not strong enough or they face in the wrong direction?

Did you use TweakScale? 

What size your decoupling blister was? 

How heavy was it's payload (empty booster)?

Were boosters aligned horisontally or vertically? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.05.2016 at 7:35 PM, Gordon Dry said:

1. yes

2. 6.5m diameter (AJ-260 FL)

3. 156.13

4. vertically

That's the case. I never tested sizes over 5m and even 5m seems... underpowered. Those are stable from 0.5 to 3.75 meters . In fact if you don't have TweakScale, you won't see decoupling blisters in sizes other than 1.25m and 2.5m they were initially designed.

When your empty booster weighs over 100 tons, you usually have no other option then use KWRocketry or SpaceY overpowered "separatrons" turned inwards to compensate for comparatively weak decoupling force, no matter if you use my blisters or stock decouplers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I'm trying to get a stable game without TweakScale at all - I hope I didn't overlook any mod that says it needs it as dependency...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does your TweakScale patch use the :FINAL keyword for everything? I'd like to add my own patch that scrubs TweakScale from every part except those added by KSPI-E (which explicitly requires TweakScale for certain things), just so that it's mostly out-of-the-way and not liable to cause issues. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons that patch has to be final, but I have no idea what's going to happen to your parts when there are two conflicting :FINAL entries. O.o (I know I could delete the file but then that's going to get re-added each time this mod gets updated.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

Why does your TweakScale patch use the :FINAL keyword for everything? I'd like to add my own patch that scrubs TweakScale from every part except those added by KSPI-E (which explicitly requires TweakScale for certain things), just so that it's mostly out-of-the-way and not liable to cause issues. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons that patch has to be final, but I have no idea what's going to happen to your parts when there are two conflicting :FINAL entries. O.o (I know I could delete the file but then that's going to get re-added each time this mod gets updated.)

"Scrubbing" TweakScale configs is a no-no for ChopShop. TweakScale patch is used to declutter things and give you more available sizes. After "scrubbing" you will lose some parts and won't get scale tweaks to replace them.

In your case... Yes, manually deleting the patch is the best option, as it will save you from losing parts.

P.S. What's the point in deleting TweakScale modules from everywhere? They are useful! And even if they aren't useful to you here and now - you can just ignore them and use parts with default scale.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Jet said:

"Scrubbing" TweakScale configs is a no-no for ChopShop. TweakScale patch is used to declutter things and give you more available sizes. After "scrubbing" you will lose some parts and won't get scale tweaks to replace them.

In your case... Yes, manually deleting the patch is the best option, as it will save you from losing parts.

P.S. What's the point in deleting TweakScale modules from everywhere? They are useful! And even if they aren't useful to you here and now - you can just ignore them and use parts with default scale.

They are useful, but they can also be massively buggy. The reason I'm looking into this is because of this post:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is "ModuleSolarTracking - should automatically make SSP right-click menus less confusing."

which u r referncing to in the OP

---

7 hours ago, phoenix_ca said:

They are useful, but they can also be massively buggy. The reason I'm looking into this is because of this post

AFAIK the main bug is: dont rescale your root. beside of that? no bug that is not caused by using it wrong (resizing Docking ports or direct attached parts.

so... i think u r putting way to much effort in avoiding Bugs that dont really occur

Edited by Speadge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Speadge said:

so... i think u r putting way to much effort in avoiding Bugs that dont really occur

Not really. There's also an incompatability with Kerbal Research & Development which I forgot to mention. It's severe enough that you can't let KRnD put KRnDModule modules on any part that also has a TweakScale module.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While watching Scott Manley's channel, I suddenly recognised my mod's pre-built crafts (Li'l Buzzer and Orbital Taxi, starting from 0:6:30). 

Li'l Buzzer shows AMAZING survivability at second launch (starting around 0:37:40) :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dr. Jet You're welcome. I was the one who suggested that he try your mod. He didn't seem particularly impressed with the I was hoping he'd appreciate (namely your Smart Solar Panels & lander fuel-tanks) but he loved the Li'l Buzzer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First class part pack! I'm new to the forums but not to KSP. This is on of my mist have mods for sure. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed a bug with the 2T chute segments, i'm playing in a new career game so I've only got a level-1 VAB. For some reason, the game is using the deployed height measurements for the chutes when I add these parts to my ship, making it much taller then it should be otherwise. IE: without the chutes, my rocket is only 9m tall, with the chutes on top it's suddenly like 26m tall. But again this bug seems limited to the 2T chute segments.

Edited by stryth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stryth said:

I've noticed a bug with the 2T chute segments, i'm playing in a new career game so I've only got a level-1 VAB. For some reason, the game is using the deployed height measurements for the chutes when I add these parts to my ship, making it much taller then it should be otherwise. IE: without the chutes, my rocket is only 9m tall, with the chutes on top it's suddenly like 26m tall. But again this bug seems limited to the 2T chute segments.

Was already fixed in  0.9.0.3.

If your mod version is higher than 0.9.0.2 and you STILL see that bug - try deleting PartDatabase.cfg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dr. Jet

First off, this is a great mod that I'm finding quite useful.  Thanks.

I've noticed an animation glitch with the retractable skycranes, though.  Every time you load a ship that has one, the skycrane is drawn extended even though its state still says it's retracted.  If you hit the "deploy" button, the state changes to deployed but the skycrane itself doesn't move.  Hit the "retract" button and the skycrane retracts and the state changes to retracted.  And they remain in sync until you leave the ship and return to it, at which point the skycrane will be drawn deployed but will still say it's retracted.  

This happens every time the ship loads.  This includes launching a ship that you just built with the skycrane retracted, opening an existing ship file in the VAB that was saved with skycrane retracted, or returning to a ship in flight that had the skycrane retracted when you left it.  It seems to have no effect on the workings of the engines, other than maybe misleading you into thinking it's deployed when it really isn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

@Dr. Jet

First off, this is a great mod that I'm finding quite useful.  Thanks.

I've noticed an animation glitch with the retractable skycranes, though.  Every time you load a ship that has one, the skycrane is drawn extended even though its state still says it's retracted.  If you hit the "deploy" button, the state changes to deployed but the skycrane itself doesn't move.  Hit the "retract" button and the skycrane retracts and the state changes to retracted.  And they remain in sync until you leave the ship and return to it, at which point the skycrane will be drawn deployed but will still say it's retracted.  

This happens every time the ship loads.  This includes launching a ship that you just built with the skycrane retracted, opening an existing ship file in the VAB that was saved with skycrane retracted, or returning to a ship in flight that had the skycrane retracted when you left it.  It seems to have no effect on the workings of the engines, other than maybe misleading you into thinking it's deployed when it really isn't.

 

Never seen that. On the other hand, all animation glitches with skycranes ever reported to me were caused by outdated Bahamuto Dynamics animation module, which is totally optional for ChopShop. 

Try deleting GameData/ChopShop/ModuleManager/BahamutoDynamics.cfg - it should probably solve the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

Never seen that. On the other hand, all animation glitches with skycranes ever reported to me were caused by outdated Bahamuto Dynamics animation module, which is totally optional for ChopShop. 

Try deleting GameData/ChopShop/ModuleManager/BahamutoDynamics.cfg - it should probably solve the issue. 

Before I do, AFAIK the only Bahamto thing I have is VesselMover.  Would that be impacted by this?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. You just delete ChopShop supporting config for that. All other mods using BDanimations will be untouched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Jet said:

No. You just delete ChopShop supporting config for that. All other mods using BDanimations will be untouched.

Well, that had no effect.  The skycranes still are drawn deployed every time the ship loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

Even NEW ships? Old ones could be saved with that module. 

Yup, even new ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.