Warhammer 40K Army Setup

victory143

I am aiming at 250-500 point army and preferable would not like to spend an excess amount on it.

GW games are probably the wrong thing to get into if you want to wargame on the cheap. Don't despair though, get down to your local club and see what people are playing at skirmish level. My local club are doing Chain of Command for WW2 and Muskets and Tomahawks for TYW and you can get set up for either for about £60. There might be some folks down there playing 40K that your little force can tag along with until you've managed to build up your Tau through little purchases here and there.

Stick to getting the core plastics to start with. They're much better value and you'll need them anyway. Check out independent stockists, they tend to have lower prices than buying direct from GW. Keep an eye on Ebay too, there's always second hand stuff.

Edited by Seret

When I wanted to get stuff cheap or even better trade things I don't need for it, I used Bartertown (google it). Being a new guy you'll have to get acquainted with the rules, and you'll be shipping or paying before seeing your stuff. For the most part through the community is great and I found I always had minis to trade and people usually wanted them.

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::mad:

Once you buy the models they're yours forever.

You never have to worry about a company shutting the servers down.

Or revoking your CD key

Or introducing DRM that is stupid.

You're also free to play with any edition of rules you own you aren't forced to play with an edition you hate just because it fixes a few game breaking bugs.

Once you buy the models they're yours forever.

You never have to worry about a company shutting the servers down.

Or revoking your CD key

Or introducing DRM that is stupid.

You're also free to play with any edition of rules you own you aren't forced to play with an edition you hate just because it fixes a few game breaking bugs.

Oh you have us there...

DAMN YOU EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

If I was around when there were Squats I would have collected them!

I slightly collect Tau atm. (As in get and paint a model a year)

I roll with a Tallarn Imperial Guard army. They are the desert guys. Everyone is a little shocked when I throw out 1000 points of Tallarn foot troopers and then modern vehicles to round out to 1850.

If you still have the models and the book you can still play them. Just not at a GW store.

Tell me about it. I have Dogs of War for fantasy. Plenty of fan support for some of the old stuff.

If you still have the models and the book you can still play them. Just not at a GW store.

The same goes for video games, by the way. Not every company works like EA. But it is one of the reasons I am opposing the slow movement towards the cloud. Whatever you buy should be possible to run locally, whenever you decide.

• 3 months later...

For 500 points, a tau army isn't an amazingly amazing choice, but some basic ground troops and a couple mechs/other vehicles should do quite well. The ground troops are really only good in decent numbers, but the vehicles are great because they hover and can evade some forms of damage, as well has having decent armament. Remember that W40k isn't a game about exactness, if you have other models you can substitute each other as long as the size of the base is the same (that is, if you have any other models).

Remember that W40k isn't a game about exactness, if you have other models you can substitute each other as long as the size of the base is the same (that is, if you have any other models).

That pretty much violates the 'it has to look like' rule. I imagine that was instated to boost sales, but also goes a long way to prevent confusion and people stealthily switching armaments halfway through a game.

That pretty much violates the 'it has to look like' rule. I imagine that was instated to boost sales, but also goes a long way to prevent confusion and people stealthily switching armaments halfway through a game.

True enough, but most likely this is casual instead of competitive-type playing. I agree with you, though.

Hi guys, thanks for posting all this. I am well on my way to 2000 points and i have started to use forgeworld. One question though, why does finecast miniatures use resin?

It was to save money on the overall production costs. I haven't been following it much the last few years, so I'm not sure how well it work out in the end.

what do you do if you want to star doing 40k?

Have a good job or rich indulgent parents.

You can go with a vehicle heavy army and scratch build it.

Orks are a good place to start scratch building.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?244950-Tommygun-s-Xenotechnology&p=4550379&viewfull=1#post4550379

Imperial Guard are the next best. I made a complete armored force from scratch.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?126270-Tommygun-s-Backwater-Forgeworld&p=4339470&viewfull=1#post4339470

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?126270-Tommygun-s-Backwater-Forgeworld&p=4842382&viewfull=1#post4842382

Just get your plasticard or polystyrene from a sign shop or industrial supplier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.