What's something you personally want in KSP?

I myself want weather. Imagine it. you're flying through the ocean, and BAM! Hurricane. Or, perhaps flying through Jool, you get stuck in a lightning storm! Awesome. Oh, and more in the way of science. Love that stuff.

Pretty much anything I'd like to see in KSP is either A.) already there, B.) about to be added, or C.) can be found via excellent mods. Though the stock rover wheels having their strange issues fixed would definitely make my day, seeing as they haven't been really usable since about 0.20 or so.

The biggest thing I would like to see is for Squad to re-write and expand upon the code for planets. I would love to see Gas Planet 2 and other interesting planets in the stock game. I would also really like it for Squad to allow planets to be more easily editable by modders and to reduce the resources (especially memory) needed to add more planets. I'm sure with enough customization options in the hands of modders, we could see some incredibly interesting planets that wouldn't fit the scope of the base game. I would love to have multiple solar systems, with different types of stars. A Binary system would be really cool, as would a Red Giant star that is as large as Kerbin's orbit.

Besides that, I would love to see Squad heavily optimize the game once they reach their current goal of making the game scope complete. I have a AMD 8320 with a GTX 760, and I would love to be able to utilize it to its fullest to run KSP. Better multi-thread support and off loading some of the physics calculations to my GPU would be really awesome.

What I want the most is the thing that's getting added next update - a reason to play. I've pretty much attained all goals I could've thought of and my career save at 82 years is that of a fully colonized system (I'm still missing an eve lander lighter than the VAB building and a jumbo class cargo ssto). Aerodynamics and weather would be nice and then small things like persistent rover/kerbal tracks.

As SkyRender said, mods will take care of the rest (robotics, resources, mapping, MJ/KER... etc.).

Seconded. I reckon I had the most fun with this game when I had a mock space race with my friend, because I took it as a challenge to be conquered.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude- what mod's that?

I personally would like to see more EVA stuff added. I think it would be awesome if the Kerbals had some sort of AI system and have animations to stuff like taking samples and repairing stuff. Some equipment too, like the Apollo equipment for EVA that you can pack into little bags. Different spacesuits for different situations. Like just the blue training suit for on Kerbin and in safe orbit, pressurized suit for reentry and launch, ect. Slowly unlock parts of the spacesuit like the jetpack and start with tethers. The AI system would do stuff like the Kerbals would wander off or do something like play a card game on a rock when you are not controlling them, and have them make mistakes like take off their helmet, break off a part of a ship for no reason, climb the rocket/lander and it tips over, but have an option for that to be turned on or off. The mistakes would depend on their stupidity level. I think it would be really cool and fun to be able to have Kerbals do stuff like in the videos Squad make. Of course this is mostly for aesthetic reasons and probably won't be added for a while.

Other than that I would really like to see the game optimized more so it would have less lag than it does now. Maybe for 0.25?

I also think weather and better looking atmospheres would be a good addition to the game. I downloaded the EVE and Better Atmosphere mods which make them look cool, but there isn't really weather as such. A massive dust storm looming over the horizon on Duna would look amazing. Or a launching from Kerbin during a lightning storm. Also, volcanoes and geysers on planets and moons would look good as well.

I'd definitely like to see multithreading, also some fine tuning of the way the VAB/SPH handle parts. With some builds the pieces get nearly impossible to place correctly... Makes me want to chuck my mouse through my monitor. And the flat panels are the same story, I have so many ideas for them but I can never seem to make them go together how I want. Others don't seem to have that problem so maybe it's just me...

And seriously what's up with the rover wheels. I can build my greatest rover and send it to Mun (or anywhere besides KSC for that matter) where it proceeds to steer itself or lose traction for no reason and start sliding diagonally / sideways, then when it magically regains traction bad things happen. I get that it's going to lose traction sometimes because physics and inertia but it just seems random and buggy, unrelated to what's actually going on.

Speaking of rover wheels! Tweakable braking pressure / disabling. That would be a godsend.

And an idea I actually got from Simple Rockets, in game challenges / achievements. Nothing extravagant but things like a Mun landing with a fuel quota, or time limit to stable orbit, or breaking a speed record. I have a feeling some of this will flow in with the new contracts system though unless I'm misunderstanding the concept.

Edited by Duke23

Volcanoes, gysers and cave systems-all of which should be extremely common. Exploring would be so much better if the planets had more to explore, and travaling around caves could be epic. Also, Weather like one of the earlier posts said-lightning storms, dust storms, rain and so on.

Areodynamics model where nose cones are not a pure disadvantage and enormous super-wide rockets ("Pancakes") actually lead to guaranteed crashes.

Reentry where you can melt your ship and heading along with shape of your ship does matter

Unmanned probes being core of the space program and something that does most of the science like it is in real life.

Life support (so you would actually care for your Kerbals and they'd stop being just a different type of command module with build-in EVA clickfest)

And from smaller things:

More shaders (eg. Glossy windows and solar panels (more glossy than now, perhaps with flare when reflecting sun in your eyes?) )

Sun that doesn't look like a gold asteroid from up close (god rays, prominences, sun flares, or something? I want to feel danger and heat. It's completly disappointing right now)

Payload fairings

Nav lights

More items based on a real space missions (eg. Cameras, scanners, magnetometers, impactors, rovers that can take ground samples and drill into surface, intercepting comet tails, landers that can harpoon into comets, etc.)

More kerbal management. Have them train for a mission, let their muscles go all mushy if they're up in space to long (or die when they run out of food).

Optimizations would be great, orbits tend to be jittery at the moment which can be really annoying.

Space stations need to be made more interesting somehow.

More launch locations and either NPC space programmes or multiplayer for a space-race and joint missions.

Here is my humble list:

Weather - winds should be fun and challenging, rain and snow as well and stuff like that. It doesnt need to be really heavy weather like blizzards to totally make things super hard or make u miss the launch time for some distant object, but just a little bit of it to spice things up.

Unmanned exploration and science stuff- rovers being able to sample stuff and send info back to Kerbin, orbital telescopes and special sattelite gear that gets u unique results your kerbals cant get, special labs u can put on planets/moons to do material research as well as chemistry and physic research in the environments other than kerbin (ppl first saw fire in 0g and then started playing with it in labs etc.). Observatories and similar space exploration stuff.

Better aerodynamics - if possible better than FAR

The most important thing id like to see is switching from unity 3d to something more optimized. Maybe torque 3d? Something else? Just something that can allow me to dock stuff properly and not lag like crazy... :)

Minor things - Already existing markers for runway and launch pad and other buildings so you can plan your landing without the need of using flags and other workouts.

Ofc mapping of the celestial bodies.

I know most of the things i mentioned is either in some mod or will come as a mod. While i love mods i also know that they can be abandoned or take over by someone else who will do different stuff, but if those were stock stuff then it will be constantly worked on and improved in a much safer environment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.