[Plugin][WIP][0.23.5] DimmableVAB

Link

This thread is to provide user's a first look at a new mod I am creating, "dimmableVAB". This is a work in progress, and not all features are implemented yet. In addition, there is still quite a bit of work to do. But hey, for someone that doesn't know what they are doing......I'm making progress! So, let's get to it!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Above is the current preview of the mod in action. This will basically remove all of the background, and turn on the ships lights. Unfortunately, as you can see, I haven't implemented the toggling of the B9 crew bay lights. *MOST* lights should successfully turn on, including the stock landing gear light.

Everything can be found on github. The zip file contains a readme, and all of the MonoDevelop project. The main source is easily viewable on github as well. Have at it, and let me know any errors you encounter, any suggestions, anything you can think of! As said, I don't know what I'm doing, and just crammed c# and unity in the last few days while making this. PLEASE read the readme, as it contains some useful information(including usage and how it works).

Source: https://github.com/linkerovx9/dimmableVAB

Download: https://github.com/linkerovx9/dimmableVAB/releases

To SQUAD: I really have absolutely no clue what I'm doing, so if anything goes against the EULA, please let me know. Everything *should* be public members tho.

Currently licensed under the BSD license.

LOL

looks cool.. - never thought of that - but lights are a delicate thing sometimes..

I woudln't worry about the EULA - if the api of KSP or unity allows to do something, you are not breaking any laws if you use the offered functions..

that wouldn't be logic - check out the plugin rules in the sticky post - that will give you calrity..

LOL

looks cool.. - never thought of that - but lights are a delicate thing sometimes..

I woudln't worry about the EULA - if the api of KSP or unity allows to do something, you are not breaking any laws if you use the offered functions..

that wouldn't be logic - check out the plugin rules in the sticky post - that will give you calrity..

Already checked out the sticky......which is why I mentioned it :)

About the lights being delicate........they are a bit tougher than you think! I've dropped quite a few while making this, and none broke yet. But I do have spare bulbs just in case!

wait, so stock lnding gears has lights? 0_0

Surprisingly, yes. Confused me silly when I first saw them come on. I had to right click to find out it really does have a light. I never knew it till I started this

Yes they do.

Edit: Dang got beat to it.

Yea, that happens when I'm burning a hole in the forum with my eyes

Awesome, downloading now. Thanks for taking up my request. :)

EDIT: After tinkering with it for a bit I didn't notice any bugs yet.

Pleasure is all mine. It gives me a challenge other than wrecking into another planet! I'm glad there haven't been any bugs -yet- I've only really tested it on a stock install. Hopefully, further development will go quickly. Next release should have integration with blizzy's toolbar, and the toggle on that, and maybe even still have the background, with everything dimmed(or maybe replace it with space?), and other small tweaks. Currently, it's hard-coded to use the "L" key, which isn't a default key-binding(for vab/sph) in the stock version. Thus for best mod compatibility, I've gotta get it onto the toolbar!

JmBkN.gif

You released it! I can't believe I missed this first time round, I've been checking this forum relentlessly for days! :D Will download and report back when I can! Thank you!

(Also, in the first picture you posted in that thread suggesting something like this, there was a picture of the VAB with the lights turned off and shadows on the floor, like they'd just turned the lights off. Could you repost that pic? I think it's such a cool shot (and I also kinda want to post it to reddit.. :P)

http://i.imgur.com/JmBkN.gif

You released it! I can't believe I missed this first time round, I've been checking this forum relentlessly for days! :D Will download and report back when I can! Thank you!

(Also, in the first picture you posted in that thread suggesting something like this, there was a picture of the VAB with the lights turned off and shadows on the floor, like they'd just turned the lights off. Could you repost that pic? I think it's such a cool shot (and I also kinda want to post it to reddit.. :P)

hGmVfwx.png

TsIXx1g.png

Working on getting back to that point ;) Ended up taking a different route and got to this point, and figured since it's working I'd put it up. Working on various tweaks now to restore the vab again(and make that lonely bit in sph.....not lonely)

http://i.imgur.com/hGmVfwx.png

http://i.imgur.com/TsIXx1g.png

Working on getting back to that point ;) Ended up taking a different route and got to this point, and figured since it's working I'd put it up. Working on various tweaks now to restore the vab again(and make that lonely bit in sph.....not lonely)

You're a gent! Looking forward to whatever direction this takes - honestly, I'd like for the light level in the OP album to be available but in a perfect world, there'd be some sort of slider like "ambient VAB lighting: ----|-------------". No idea if it's possible or not, but I'd be happy with a simple toggle on/off if not :)

You're a gent! Looking forward to whatever direction this takes - honestly, I'd like for the light level in the OP album to be available but in a perfect world, there'd be some sort of slider like "ambient VAB lighting: ----|-------------". No idea if it's possible or not, but I'd be happy with a simple toggle on/off if not :)

That's actually my aim. Slider to adjust all the lighting, and a little toggle to turn on the ship lights. Possibly a dimmer on them too(set rgb for all maybe and save?) Learning as I go and catching on quick. Finding some neat things I'm trying. Hopefully the "final" release will be something reputable :)

First time I press L the lights dim as expected, when I press L again my rocket/plane vanishes as if I clicked the new button next to load/save etc top right. No idea what's going on, might be an EE feature?

Toolbar integration would be neat.

First time I press L the lights dim as expected, when I press L again my rocket/plane vanishes as if I clicked the new button next to load/save etc top right. No idea what's going on, might be an EE feature?

What's going on is the scene reloads......kinda like exiting and reentering the vab. Its intentional at the moment.....mainly because I have no clue how to restore everything once I got rid of it lol. Your ship shouldn't of vanished tho. The only reason I can think that it did is it wasn't autosaved before reloading. The good news is, it won't be like that for long.

Toolbar integration will be making its way in. I'd rather get rid of the hotkey that way it wont screw with any other vab enhancements(like editor extentions.....which currently doesn't use L)

Nice work, that's a lovely feature :D

I started without a clue what I was doing a few weeks ago, now I'm absolutely hooked tinkering under the hood of KSP. Lots to learn, but the support on here has been great. Keep up the good work!

Nice work, that's a lovely feature :D

I started without a clue what I was doing a few weeks ago, now I'm absolutely hooked tinkering under the hood of KSP. Lots to learn, but the support on here has been great. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It certainly is addictive. Looking through the assembly browser is tough on the eyes tho. So much stuff and so little commenting inside. Im litteral on the edge of a revision release but there's one light that is evading me left and right. Don't know if its because the skybox has a selflit texture or what(still learning terms). Im actually looking at making a shader right now to see if perhaps that will solve my woes.

Kinda leads me to want to make a new plugin for modders so we can just skip the menu and get right into the space center.

Im litteral on the edge of a revision release but there's one light that is evading me left and right. Don't know if its because the skybox has a selflit texture or what(still learning terms). Im actually looking at making a shader right now to see if perhaps that will solve my woes.

Hi, first post ever. Perhaps this article b9 wrote on the creation of the new VAB last year can give some insight into how he did the lighting setup. He covers how he did it in pretty good depth, particularly after the section titled "You're texturing it where?!".

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/747-The-Making-Of-New-KSC

Heads up, as of v0.2, the issue you had will no longer exist, but you'll have to wait a small bit for it because 0.2 isn't being released(see below)

Hi, first post ever. Perhaps this article b9 wrote on the creation of the new VAB last year can give some insight into how he did the lighting setup. He covers how he did it in pretty good depth, particularly after the section titled "You're texturing it where?!".

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/747-The-Making-Of-New-KSC

Im blaming you for me not releasing v0.2! Thanks a ton for bringing this to my attention, as it solves quite a few questions for me. There was one particular thing that has been bugging me which this should solve!

Looking good. Does it extend the Telus-LV? They have lights that will affect overall appearance too.

No, it does not extend the ladder as of right now. To be honest, my current tests I've done actually turns that light off. Ill do some debugging to figure out why. Ill hold off actually having the ability to extend them until im further in development(ie toolbar integration).

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.