Compression and tension elements.

I suggest that struts be modified to have more strength in compression than in tension, and that an additional element, the cable, be created which has zero compression strength, but a tension strength higher than the basic strut has today.

While the suggestion has its merit, if you need something that's a little more flexible and less prone to breakage in both directions, I would advise that instead of just using struts, you attach the modular girders to each object, and string struts between the girders, like so: []:-:[] (where [] is the object/fuel tank/payload/etc., : is the girder, and - is a strut).

It's especially useful for bigger builds.

As to the suggestion itself, I'm not sure I really see the need for a compression-based attachment as a part in its own right. I can see, perhaps, some spring parts being used at either ed of a connection, but other than that I don't see how it would be useful.

While the suggestion has its merit, if you need something that's a little more flexible and less prone to breakage in both directions, I would advise that instead of just using struts, you attach the modular girders to each object, and string struts between the girders, like so: []:-:[] (where [] is the object/fuel tank/payload/etc., : is the girder, and - is a strut).

It's especially useful for bigger builds.

As to the suggestion itself, I'm not sure I really see the need for a compression-based attachment as a part in its own right. I can see, perhaps, some spring parts being used at either ed of a connection, but other than that I don't see how it would be useful.

that whackjobs patented technique? ive yet to use it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.