Color-coordinated Astronaut Suits

Pingonaut

You can go here to download these suits. It requires Texture Replacer.

I've been messing around with custom astronaut suits for Kerbals and I'm debating whether or not to have a part of their suit indicating what their specific job for the mission is, being pilot, medic, biologist, geologist, etc. It would look like below.

I just wanted others' opinions on this idea. I really don't know how to do it on smaller manned missions where one kerbal has many jobs, though. This could've been in the Addons section but I thought it was more fitting here.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Original colors:

Sw6mbvK.png

Divisions rather than specific jobs (suggested to be similar to Star Trek's):

37tVAlJ.png

Edited by Pingonaut

This sounds like an epic idea for a mod.

It's using Texture Replacer. I used the base suit textures from another pack created for the mod. If I get permission (and find out who it was, first) I'll put it up for download when I'm finished.

The poor medics!

I like the idea. you could even simplify it and use the Star Trek Color Scheme.

I think that'd be a cool idea, where could I find this?

Edit: How's this? Like previously, only the one arm and left side of the helmet is colored. The rest is grey.

Command - Engineer - Science/Medical

37tVAlJ.png

Edited by Pingonaut

I think the Star Trek-like colors work very well. This is the end result (I decided to go with higher contrast colors), I'm considering whether or not to add the small patches on each one. (Yellow-Steering Wheel, Red-Cog,Blue-atom&red plus).

e26vGNf.png

really nice, once you put the download up i think id enjoy using the star trek themes

on a side note, i was wondering how you change the suit for a specific kerbal? can you do it in game or is it through the files? sorry ive never really understood how texture re-placer works

I think the Star Trek-like colors work very well. This is the end result (I decided to go with higher contrast colors), I'm considering whether or not to add the small patches on each one. (Yellow-Steering Wheel, Red-Cog,Blue-atom&red plus)

I like it, and much less confusing than before. Though I thought Red was command and Yellow engineering? (I know it was in TNG)

I like it, and much less confusing than before. Though I thought Red was command and Yellow engineering? (I know it was in TNG)

In the original series, gold was Command, blue was Sciences/Medical, and red was Operations, which included Engineering and Security. The reason redshirts got such a bad deal was that the Security department provided defense during landing parties, and took the brunt of enemy opposition. Also, there were no major characters in Security, so they could introduce a guy and kill him off easily.

If you use extraterestial launchpads you want kerbals with low stupidity as they produce more, very stupid kerbals might even reduce productivity.

However you get plenty of stupid ones and they work just as well for piloting and eva work so you want to separate them

on a side note, i was wondering how you change the suit for a specific kerbal? can you do it in game or is it through the files? sorry ive never really understood how texture re-placer works

Yes, there is. In the Texture Replacer's folder (found in GameData) go to @DEFAULT.cfg and it will instruct you how to do such things.

One update might introduce more statistics for Kerbals - like the Final Frontier mod does for their duty roster - adding ranks, branches and such.

I actually make custom variants with silver/gold flight pins like astronauts get before and after they make their first trip to space.

I'll make a pack of it and release it when I'm done, and I will have a few different options of colored suits.

Edited by Pingonaut

Do the colours save when you reload your save, during my videos it was a pain in the arse for continuity when Jeb would mess up a shot and then after reload would be in a completely different suit.

Do the colours save when you reload your save, during my videos it was a pain in the arse for continuity when Jeb would mess up a shot and then after reload would be in a completely different suit.

Are you using Universe Replacer? TextureReplacer is what you need to be using, now. Uou can set specific suits to specific names and even set suits that go only with female or male hair. UniverseReplacer is very old and not even updated for the current version of KSP.

Nothing good can come from a space adventurer wearing red - especially a kerbal.....

Well, red on the torso anyway. :)

I think a red stripe on the side, is more reminiscent of the N7 / Commander Shepard sort of thing, which is probably a little less Kerbal. :)

Well, red on the torso anyway. :)

I think a red stripe on the side, is more reminiscent of the N7 / Commander Shepard sort of thing, which is probably a little less Kerbal. :)

(I'm not a Star Trek watcher so I only very slightly understand the reference.)

Yeah, I'm mixing sci-fi references. The Red Shirt things comes from Star Trek, the original series, in which they would often have "random security guy of the week" get killed, and they had red shirts.

The red arm stripe I'm making a reference to, comes from the Mass Effect game series.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.