[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

Good catch on the install. Weird that it booted up like normal for me. There are supposed to be some stretchy tanks made available in the first couple of tiers that I don't see in VAB. Gonna go double check and make sure there actually is a problem, though

If you are talking about in career mode then that seems to be a common issue with people using RPL. I'm not sure what the solution is but might be best asked over there. RO (this thread) is really laser focused on Sandbox right now with RPL handling Career.

If you are talking about Sandbox mode, then are you using StretchySRBs or Procedural Parts? PP by default hides the StretchySRBs as they are replaced with PP ones instead. There is information in the PP thread on how to re-enable them.

jrandom, Agathorn: at one point NFPP solar panels were supported. Perhaps they've changed? And/or new ones added?

eRe4s3r: looks like tweakscale is causing the problem (note that the extended log says "tweakscale". It's a problem where tweakscale doesn't work right with RF, as was mentioned over the last few pages. Delete any cfgs in the tweakscale folder that reference tanks, for now, and don't use tweakscale on tanks.

BadRocketsCo: the center of mass of the Mk1-2 pod is offset so you can perform lifting reentries. See question 3 in the FAQ in the OP.

eRe4s3r: looks like tweakscale is causing the problem (note that the extended log says "tweakscale". It's a problem where tweakscale doesn't work right with RF, as was mentioned over the last few pages. Delete any cfgs in the tweakscale folder that reference tanks, for now, and don't use tweakscale on tanks.

What about TweakScale doesn't work with RF? I've been using it without any issues so far on the AIES and KW tanks. The TweakScale thread even says it works with RF.

If you are talking about in career mode then that seems to be a common issue with people using RPL. I'm not sure what the solution is but might be best asked over there. RO (this thread) is really laser focused on Sandbox right now with RPL handling Career.

If you are talking about Sandbox mode, then are you using StretchySRBs or Procedural Parts? PP by default hides the StretchySRBs as they are replaced with PP ones instead. There is information in the PP thread on how to re-enable them.

this is valuable information. I'll go ask on the RPL thread. And I have both PP and StretchySRBs installed, just to see if it would do anything to help (spoiler: it didn't)

What about TweakScale doesn't work with RF? I've been using it without any issues so far on the AIES and KW tanks. The TweakScale thread even says it works with RF.

It works fine with RF.. the problem seems to be something RO did with the latest alpha, just unlucky timing I guess ;) Either way, I removed RO (as that's easier replaceable than tweakscale, sorry ,p) and using RFTS for now.

Are most of my engines supposed to be un-throttleable? I've been having issues with rockets accelerating super quickly, but even with my throttle at ~7% and thrust limited to less than 10%, nothing really changes. When I go into the Engine GUI, it says "MinThrust 100%" Is that normal? I have no idea. This mod makes me feel unsmart sometimes

edit: inb4 "Logs!" https://www.dropbox.com/s/511r7mq39lcg7sp/output_log.txt

Edited by Roastduck

Yes vary few Rocket engines throttle. and if they are there not 100%. the ones that are mostly used for landing engines. though some lanch assent engines might be. also that is the only way I could think to deal with something like the satern 5 2nd stage I think it was. the center engine of the 5 engine cluster would shut down before the others the only way I can think to model that in ksp would be to throttle the engine cluster back by about 20 %

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRTAntenna
Mode0OmniRange = 5000000
Mode1OmniRange = 11869095061338
MaxQ = 3000
EnergyCost = 0.001
TRANSMITTER
{
PacketInterval = 0.001
PacketSize = 1.0
PacketResourceCost = 0.001
}
}

Why in the world does RO give the mechjeb module a 11.87 Tm transmit range? That's... a ridiculous distance for such a tiny antenna, isn't it?

Are most of my engines supposed to be un-throttleable? I've been having issues with rockets accelerating super quickly, but even with my throttle at ~7% and thrust limited to less than 10%, nothing really changes.

I killed a lot of kerbals from engine g-forces when I first installed RSS/RO. :) Use either a smaller engine or a heaver payload. Sometimes it helps to break a launch stage into two stages so the bottom stage has to push a little harder to carry the 2nd-stage engines and your max TWR (when the tanks for the stage are nearly empty) doesn't get silly. I use Kerbal Engineer / MechJeb to ensure that my max TWR never goes over 9 or 10 G's. If I can't tweak the thrust so the max TWR is under 10, I switch to a different engine.

At launch, you want your lift-off sea-level TWR to be around 1.2-1.5.

BadRocketsCo: the center of mass of the Mk1-2 pod is offset so you can perform lifting reentries. See question 3 in the FAQ in the OP.

I wonder if this could be a tweakable VAB setting that defaults to off? It seems like a lot of people are confused by this. I enjoy performing the lifting reentries, but feel like most of the time they're more trouble than they're worth (just take those 8 g's Kerbal Crew!).

I wonder if this could be a tweakable VAB setting that defaults to off? It seems like a lot of people are confused by this. I enjoy performing the lifting reentries, but feel like most of the time they're more trouble than they're worth (just take those 8 g's Kerbal Crew!).

You are the first person that has asked about this that I remember seeing in this thread and the old one since I came on board. My answer...this is Realism Overhaul...if it's not liked, you are free to make a user edit for yourself to center it and make it NOT realistic.

Soyuz crews were trained to handle 10g's for dozen of seconds. Kerbals can't even handle 4g's for 30 seconds :)

Do you have proof of this?

I don't doubt you, but hard evidence of this would be nice.

You are the first person that has asked about this that I remember seeing in this thread and the old one since I came on board. My answer...this is Realism Overhaul...if it's not liked, you are free to make a user edit for yourself to center it and make it NOT realistic.

Well, if it's just me, I know where the config is. I think having the option of all capsules being mass-centered is still realistic.

The trouble with the current off-center mass is that the pod has no built-in way to control roll, and every RCS pod I've added just scrapes off during reentry. If we could get some built-in way of effectively controlling roll then the off-center mass for lifting reentries would be way more useful.

Well, if it's just me, I know where the config is. I think having the option of all capsules being mass-centered is still realistic.
The trouble with the current off-center mass is that the pod has no built-in way to control roll, and every RCS pod I've added just scrapes off during reentry. If we could get some built-in way of effectively controlling roll then the off-center mass for lifting reentries would be way more useful.

I might just have to add some RCS pods that are built into the Mk1-2 to get 3 axis operation, much the same way I did with the OLD/FASA Apollo CSM, SM, and LM. They were originally just add-on parts, but integrated them into the CSM/SM/LM itself.

I might just have to add some RCS pods that are built into the Mk1-2 to get 3 axis operation, much the same way I did with the OLD/FASA Apollo CSM, SM, and LM. They were originally just add-on parts, but integrated them into the CSM/SM/LM itself.

That would be fantastic! The one reentry I did where my RCS survived was really fun -- got to play around with altering my lift and direction during reentry. I'd never done that before.

That would be fantastic! The one reentry I did where my RCS survived was really fun -- got to play around with altering my lift and direction during reentry. I'd never done that before.
I'm a huge fan of built in RCS in a lot of cases. I think it more accurately reflects realism due to KSP limitations.

That's settled then, I'll add that to my list.

@Agathorn, Oh I completely agree, having separate pods is great, but for some things having it built in is way better and more accurate.

Well, I have no idea how to edit center of mass in configs ( I have no idea how to edit ANYTHING in configs :P ), could you guys please help me?

CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 // x, y, z

Also, built in RCS using HTP would be pretty awesome!

The RCS in generic pods will be configurable HTP, N2, NO, MMH+N2O4, Aerozine+N2O4, UDMH+N2O4...and some others that aren't at the top of my head.

Just don't let it use Hydrazine, since, you know, it is really poisonous.

You do realize what Aerozine, MMH, and UDMH is right...while straight Hydrazine isn't usually used, there will be the option.