[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

@Ivan Ivanovich: Nope, TAC stackables didn't get scaled at all. I suppose I can furnish them with TweakScale, but otherwise you can use Procedural Parts for tanks like that. The Mk1-2 pod is just fine the way it is, and has been for quite some time.

The 2 circular flat control pods again, have been the same since the beginning of time, or nearly so (RO that is). Speaking of which you shouldn't need both the RC control pods and a capsule unless you want a command station, or whatever it's called.

Basically, everything is as it should be. You just have to unlearn what you have learned with stock parts in a stock game.

@Dragon01: I'll be taking a close look at that new recommended Japanesse pack. Lovad's World Space is old, and has integrated engines and tanks, etc. Everything you usually DON'T want. I can tell just from the screenshots the detail and texturing is superior.

Ivan Ivanovich: I solve the problem you're describing by putting parts inside of procedural fuselage fairings.

Nathan: I have tried a few more lander probes with different (more standard) RCS configurations tonight, and I always run into the same problem with RCS acting up below ~750 m/s orbital velocity. I am wondering if perhaps I am the only one crazy enough to attempt landings with non-thrust-vectoring engines. :) I will be interested to learn if you can recreate the behavior or not.

Edited by chicknblender

chicknblender: reread your post (and saw your new one) in a much more awake state. :D Now I know what's going on. 750m/s is the KrakensBane threshold velocity, so clearly something in ModuleRCSFX is breaking in re: KrakensBane. I'll dig more.

Just to make sure I understood you correctly, it's working as designed that the MK 1-2 Capsule has a base diameter of 4.0m while the large TAC stackables and the RC-L01 remain at 2.5m diameter? Just wanting to make sure I didn't install anything incorrectly or forgot anything.

Just to let people know I have started work on my own tech tree for RO. It is intended for my own personal use and the way I want to play KSP but I am happy to make it available for public use once it is functional if people want to use it. It is intended to be a much more realistic approach than vanilla whilst still relying on the stock science approach (rather than the custom experiments of RTL).

I have a lot of mods installed (50 to be precise) and this results in a lot of clutter in the VAB. To address this not every part will be present in the tree. I like procedural parts and they make a lot of other parts obsolete, additionally when different mods add very similar parts I am not going to use all of them so I will make no guarantees about this working for people with different configurations.

chicknblender: thanks to your *excellent* reporting, the bug is fixed. :)

I also cleaned up some other stuff and officially released v3.0 of ModuleRCSFX. You can get it from the thread, or once Red makes another RO release.

Awesome, thanks for fixing it! I am looking forward to some physically realistic shenanigans with extreme disregard for the value of human/kerbal life. :)

BTW, have you considered rebalancing the mass of a Kerbal on EVA (currently 94 kg; should probably be 2-3 times that)? Or the jetpack, which currently has 500+ m/s capability (compared to I think about 25 m/s from the MMU).

chicknblender: cool :)

Yes, although thus far I haven't done anything to EVA because it has to be done plugin. And, um, I'm kinda putting that off until I have time to actually sit down and replace 'em with people.

I made an EVAPowerPack plugin several months ago and tweaked the thrust of the jetpack by 10x for some extreme use cases.

The jetpack fuel consumption is not using "Fuel flow rate = Thrust / Isp" equation but something similar to very old KSP version, and hence i get much much more dV (~5000m/s) by increasing the thrust to 10x, in fact I can use jetpack alone to get into LKO in stock KSP.

For realism setting, the thrust can be tweaked to something like 0.1x of the original value and thus the dV will be ~50m/s as well, though I don't know how much dV does astronaut with jetpack in RL has.

chicknblender: no guarantees on ETA, although it obviously will be required for the Eyes Turned Skyward pack and thus even more motivation for me to...actually do it. Although I'll need lots of help from a modeler/rigger once I reverse-engineer the animations etc.

HoneyFox: jeez, how many awesome mods have you made!?

That sounds like a great thing for RO to do in the mean time, too. On your repo? Is it configurable?

Oh, also, before I forget: any plans to update TweakableGimbal? Although now that stock does roll, at least if only Tweakable Gimbal Lite?

@HoneyFox. I have been looking for a way to reduce the power output from the jet packs since i first started KSP. Where can i find your EvaPowerPack???\

Thanks.

My plugin works as a toggle, so if you press some key when in EVA, the thrust will be changed, and if you press that again it will be changed back.

I will make some changes to the plugin so that you can tweak the power output (either stronger or weaker than usual).

then push the code (and dll) onto GitHub so that you can use it.

HoneyFox: jeez, how many awesome mods have you made!?

That sounds like a great thing for RO to do in the mean time, too. On your repo? Is it configurable?

Oh, also, before I forget: any plans to update TweakableGimbal? Although now that stock does roll, at least if only Tweakable Gimbal Lite?

:P I had a small box with a lot(really? :P) of toys inside.

I haven't pushed it onto GitHub yet. it's actually a pretty simple plugin and i'm going to make it configurable soon.

For tweakable gimbal, i guess that i will not update it in a short period of time because it seems like there's very big change in the implementation of the stock ModuleGimbal. if you just want tweakable gimbal angle on-the-fly, perhaps you can try TweakableEverything which has a lite TweakableGimbal inside.

Edited by HoneyFox

Hi, I want to try real space travel (or as close as it can get) so I've downloaded the realism overhaul. Are the planet names meant to be the same? If they are, then is there a way to change them?

Thank you for your time :)

It's not quite safe to change body names because either stock KSP or some other plugins will try to find certain body by checking the name (e.g. DebRefund will only work when something is destroyed in "Kerbin" low atmosphere). If you change the name, probably something bad will happen or something will not work any longer.

I'm having a couple problems that I was hoping someone might give me a clue on... First my mod list so you'll know what I'm running...

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

[D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\MODS]

RealSolarSystem7.2

Advanced Jet Engines

DeadlyReentry

EngineIgnitor

RealChute1.2

MechJeb2

RealFuels

FerramAerospaceResearch

KerbalJointReinforcement

TweakScale

ProcFairings

RemoteTech

FinalFrontier

Interstellar

RealismOverhaul

TacLifeSupport

All of them are at latest releases as far as I know. Anyway two problems,...

1. Where are the pressurized tanks that the EADS Astrium Astius II engine uses? It says I need pressurized tanks but I can't seem to find them. Did I miss a required mod or something? If I already have the tanks, how do I pressurize them?

2. When you have an engine that still has a TEATEB left to ignite it, if you go to 10x time warp and then come back out of time warp to 1x, it seams to waste the igniter. Is this a bug that hasn't been tracked down yet? Is it an Engine Igniter problem or one of RO?

Thanks.

pressurized tank = a tank from procedural parts set to the "service module" setting in VAB

You did miss Procedural Parts it seems. It's not required, but it's pretty pointless to play RO without it.