[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

I've read it, just thought it is a known problem, and there is a way to fix it easily... Ok, here is the log.

I have only one instance of Apollo_CM_HeatShield part, located in RedAV8R_OLDD_ApolloCSM.cfg, all parts not changed.

Config is loaded succesfully, the amount of ablative shileding is correct.

I've read this:

Q: Some parts have CoM/CG offset from the true center of the part? AND/OR My craft won't fly straight, what is happening?

A: Some parts (even more will be soon) have had their CoM adjusted to approximate real life. Once again, no, we aren't going to change it back. Soon we will add a moving CoM to further enhance realism. Remember, this Realism Overhaul not Kinda Sorta Maybe Real But Totally Fiction When Things Get Tough Overhaul. Besides, having an offset CoM is very important for making controlled reentries. Your crew might not survive, and your pod might overheat, if you can't fly a lifting reentry.

CoM Related:

Q: How do I make a controlled, lifting reentry with the Mk1-2 Pod?

A: See this awesome video for a tutorial.

Is it exactly what you mean?

If so, the pod on the video loosing speed very quickly and has 4500+ m/s on ~54 km, with much more than 100 m/s vertical speed, while Apollo CM has 7200+ m/s on the same altitide with lifting reentry (10-8 degrees, Cl 0.1-0.05), with 10 degrees it can fly back to space, and I was keeping the v/s withing 30 m/s.

May be, it's due to big mass of pod, ~5.5 t. Even if it will be able to go down below 43 km (where RCS thrusters cannon keep desired angle of attack), it will spend all of RCS fuel and ablative shielding earlier than the descend can be safe.

Anyway, I can't imagine how to land it.

Edited by MaxP

And you can write it in the very first answer, not spending your and my time with two pages of comments.

Let me explain, how I see it.

OLDD's and FASA configs are in the pack, so not hard to tell "FASA and OLDD are not fully suported at this time" - with just eight caps, not thirty six.

If it was another bugs in OLDD, I would not have asked, it works well.

And I've asked - you know, it can be bug with the specific config, isn't it?

So calm down. Thanks anyway.

think you shud calm down maxp the lads work very very hard to keep things rolling for us , and the ammount of questions they try to answer is very very silly ammount 90% of questions are due to people not reading the OP and understanding it and installing mods wrong

Has anyone tried RO6 in combination Persistant Momentum 1.0? [0.23.5] Persistent Momentum 1.0 (14 July)

This mod allows for momentum to persist through time warp and game saves/loads. Allowing the creation of rotational stabilised satellites, centripetal space stations and an all round more realistic docking experience. It also adds difficulty via not being able to rely on freezing your momentum by quickly enabling and disabling time warp.

I think it RO6 and Persistant Momentium make good candidates to play together since they both strive improve realism

Edited by FreeThinker

@MaxP: I asked you to read the OP, why, because this is clearly stated:

Coming Soon:

Works in Progress or Future Plans - No Particular Order [NOTE: Packs in this list ARE NOT guaranteed to work at all, and could quite possibly cause KSP to crash]

Of which both FASA and OLDD are listed.

This issue and many others with FASA and OLDD have been brought to my attention time and time again, and my answer every time has been be patient I haven't made progress on those mods yet, when I do, all will be taken care of. You failed to see any of this. So yes, I'm going to be cranky. I appreciate people reporting issues, don't get me wrong, but when the same thing OR related issues are constantly mentioned, that's when I take issue. I'll be honest, your decision to post a severely degraded, unrealistic RSS config for Soviet work that simply has payload as a goal has given me a poor first impression and kinda gives RO a bad name when you use it. Wildly defend your config and how awesome it is, then with you coming on our thread and pointing out our flaws, which we have already acknowledged if you had only read, followed by not providing the correct report the first time just furthers that impression. Have a good day.

@FreeThinker: That is a distinct possibility, once the mod is more mature and bug free, even by the authors comment he needs to spend some time with it. It hasn't been touched in months.

Edited by RedAV8R

Do me a favor, don't uninstall anything. Test things again and give me a slightly more detailed and accurate idea of what YOU see. Activate the engine, make sure the gimbal is turned on, (if you right click the part, there should be two "lock gimbal" buttons). Try and change attitude, the rocket should change attitude, the exhaust animation won't move, the engine itself will, but the rocket will change attitude.

Hmmm...I only have 1 gimbal button. The rocket bell moves, the exhaust animation stays in place and the rocket will NOT change attitude.

@BadRocketsCo.:

Ok, troubleshoot 101. Install fresh KSP, install latest RO and dependencies as listed in the OP ONLY, install latest NP2. Try it. Let me know. If you are still having problems, grab the latest RO_NovaPunch_Engines.cfg from the git repo, try it again.

Edited by RedAV8R

I did a RSS/Ro install last night, and it came up with no error, but while the capsules are scaled up (looks like 2m and 4m), the 1.25m tanks are not. Is this normal (in which case tweak scale is pretty much obligatory), or did I biff applying one of the many mods I had to install somehow?

I did a RSS/Ro install last night, and it came up with no error, but while the capsules are scaled up (looks like 2m and 4m), the 1.25m tanks are not. Is this normal (in which case tweak scale is pretty much obligatory), or did I biff applying one of the many mods I had to install somehow?

I think this is normal behaviour. Tweakscale is on thie highly recommended list anyway. - So why don't you just install it?

Have fun with RO!

I think this is normal behaviour. Tweakscale is on thie highly recommended list anyway. - So why don't you just install it?

Have fun with RO!

Yeah, I dropped it in there last night. I just wanted to make sure I had not messed up one of the (too many) installs.

tater, I kinda figured it was a matter of time until I saw you here. :D

LOL.

I felt it was my responsibility to the devs given the "WIP" state to experience the base game before I start beating it up too much :)

To be on topic here, why are the capsules scaled, but not the tanks/parts that should fit them? I understand the need to scale from the 2/3 scale, it's just confusing for a first time install to crank it up to find that nothing fits anymore. Also, again as a new RSS/RO install, there are so many possible places I could have screwed up the install (forget one of the many mods, etc), I was sure I had done something wrong :)

Ah. It's because with RO, the idea of getting a series of parts that match size is pretty much out the window. If your capsule is 2m wide, you can bet your bottom dollar that your LV is *not* going to be 2m wide. Well, you *might* be able to launch the Mk1 pod on a 2m-wide 2-stage staged combustion storable propellant rocket, but odds are you'll want 3m diameter. For that reason, and because only Procedural Parts supports all the various tank types (balloon, service module, etc), it has been the operating assumption that people will just use PP tanks; I don't even *have* any stock tanks in my install, I deleted them to save RAM.

Also, it's not that the pods are rescaled; they're not made larger just because, they're made larger so they are the same size as their real-life analogs, the Mercury capsule and the Apollo Block II capsule. If there were a stock 2.5m Soyuz capsule, it would be scaled *down* :)

The tanks, by contrast, have no real world analog parts, and thus have no reason to be rescaled.

Yeah, I understand the rationale around the scaling. It seems that tweak scale should not be sort of required. It's not about having to do it (us the PP stuff), but that as a first installer, it was not immediately obvious that I had done everything right :)

This looks like "megamod" territory (speaking from Silent Hunter modding experience) since so many of the mods touch stuff that is critical to this one/two mods (RSS/RO). Obviously made more complicated by the WIP nature of KSP, for sure (we were happy for a rare patch to SH4, not scared it would break everything every three months :) ).

Edited by tater

@tater: I've added a question to the FAQ that specifically talks about tanks to avoid the confusion from now on. Enjoy!

Generally speaking, RO is a mega-mod, modifying all those others to perform more realistic. It can be a challenge, keeping up with so many mods. I wasn't aware RLA had been updated, substantially at that, until a person filed a report. I try to keep up, but the number of mods involved, things being missed happen.

Edited by RedAV8R

Do you still consider adding the reaction control thrusters to the capsules and command pods that still do not have them?

It seems weird that in stock we have all the pods holding the thruster propellant inside but using those magic reaction wheels and a lot of electricity to spin around at huge unwanted rates instead of just using some built in thrusters like a real thing would do...

Any ideas why do we actually have that insanely oversized role of the reaction wheels in stock? I did not even know such things existed until I suddenly came across them here. Even then it was quite hard for me to find any kind of a working real life example. And certainly it was not as big as a manned capsule even the smallest one.

Do you still consider adding the reaction control thrusters to the capsules and command pods that still do not have them?

It seems weird that in stock we have all the pods holding the thruster propellant inside but using those magic reaction wheels and a lot of electricity to spin around at huge unwanted rates instead of just using some built in thrusters like a real thing would do...

Any ideas why do we actually have that insanely oversized role of the reaction wheels in stock? I did not even know such things existed until I suddenly came across them here. Even then it was quite hard for me to find any kind of a working real life example. And certainly it was not as big as a manned capsule even the smallest one.

This has already been added to the stock Mk1-2 and Mk1, will be in the next release.

Why is stock, stock, because 'reaction wheels' make things easy and playable. They actually do exist, usually found on satellites or space telescopes that must remain in a fixed attitude precisely. The ISS has at least 3 of them as well.

You really should consider supporting this (http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/224370-soviet-probes-now-with-rockets) - for early soviet probes and R7 rocket family.

You really should consider reading the first post before you go making redundant suggestions.

SkyLab by raidernick and Soviet projects!

It's been there for some time now.