[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

@Dawun: Every part is individually scaled. There is no 'blanket' upscale anywhere. If you'd like let me know what mod/part you want reworked and I'll add it to the list.

Thanks for the quick reply, the part I want is from the mod "MK3 Fuselage Expansion Pack", I only really care about the Mk3 Cargo Bay and the MK3 MSM (Mission Support Module) parts, the rest aren't worth the time imo (adapters, fuel tanks, etc). I believe the Cargo bay would just need rescaling, however the MK3 MSM part has fuel cells that convert fuel (unfortunately Liquidfuel/Oxidzer) into power and it's probably not balanced for RO.

Thanks for taking the request!

Edited by Dawun

@Felger: You are showing initiative to help. That's more than can be said by most people here. If you want to take a try at updating the NearFuture set I suggest you start there. If you have questions about MM or what not, feel free to PM me.

@Dawun: The website you are linking too is blacklisted by KSP for copyright infringement.

@Noctis & Viruzzz: What exactly am I supposed to be looking at/for?

Sorry.

The engines are not covered, when attaching decoupler, like in stock ksp. Is this intentional?

jrandom: Thanks, I'll use it. But is this normal, or should I re-check my mods? :)

Edited by Noctis
Didn't see jrandom answer.

Thank you, Felger! Following your suggestion it works great! (Flight starts at 3:00)
Although it`s authentically terrible, not it`s clear what was the matter.
My payload wasn`t load tightly, and it controlled rocket, so everything ....ed up.

Edit: select root is so powerful that it can direct any parts to be a root, even fuel tanks or whatever. Cool!

Edit: video fixed! Edited by FennexFox

Hiya everyone! For some reason I can't download the soviet engines pack that is supported by this mod... anybody know where I can grab that part pack so I can start playing with this mod again? Thanks!

@TheFluffiestThing: I didn't need to go trawling through your log. It's pretty evident what the problem is. In that it's not RO. Let's get this straight though. Had you come and asked about RftS, while providing a log that doesn't have anything unsupported in it, and not mentioning you followed directions yet installed unsupported mods anyway, then I guarantee you would have liked my response better. Out of curiosity how are RftS 'nicer'?

As for your admitting about posting here. Wrong move again. You don't go posting in another thread simply because it has more traffic. That's just poor forum etiquette, no matter what forum it is, no matter what the relation. RO supporting RftS doesn't mean it's 'related' either.

Fair enough, I'm not a huge forum user. I've got an output log with nothing but supported mods, RftS and the KAS plugin (which, although the full mod is not supported, was required for the Soviet Engines mod). Should I post it to the RftS thread? If necessary I can upload another output log without the KAS plugin and Soviet Engines.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17909925/output_log.txt

@TheFluffiestThing: You didn't get it. This isn't an RO problem, so stop posting anything here. NK said 2 posts ago that he subscribes to the RftS thread so anything you post, he knows about. I'll give you another hint, RftS hasn't been updated in many moons (over 9 months). With the latest RealFuels, names of many fuels changed, since RftS hasn't been updated to match, it's causing massive issues, like yours.

BTW Soviet Engines DOES NOT require KAS, at least not itself. IF KAS is required something else added that requirement, not the engines itself. I'm intrigued to know how you came to that conclusion. Also you haven't answered my question of why you think RftS is 'nicer'.

http://youtu.be/sXeO81ZNdfo

Thank you, Felger! Following your suggestion it works great! (Flight starts at 3:00)

Although it`s authentically terrible, not it`s clear what was the matter.

My payload wasn`t load tightly, and it controlled rocket, so everything ....ed up.

Edit: select root is so powerful that it can direct any parts to be a root, even fuel tanks or whatever. Cool!

Edit: video fixed!

Glad it helped! I typically either put the control core inside a procedural fairing base on a radial attach point (tweakscale helps here) or in a surface attached pod on the side of the rocket near the CoM.

The reason this works is KSP measures orientation from the root part, unfortunately "control from here" doesn't move that (potential mod idea?) so if your control position is on either end of the rocket, any small perturbation becomes is magnified around the center of mass into a large angular displacement for your controlling core. The controller tries to correct this, but typically fails and overcorrects, amplifying the displacement.

By placing your controlling root part near the center of mass you eliminate the angular -> linear part of the displacement due to flexing of the rocket, preventing overcorrection in the first place.

@FennexFox: & @Felger: Could I get a parts list of what was used. Ideally, rockets should be stiff enough that this doesn't happen. One cause of that wobble is when nodes are not sized correctly. I'm interested in what parts were used in the failed attempt to check things out. Also check out KJR. That helps too.

RftS hasn't been updated in many moons (over 9 months). With the latest RealFuels, names of many fuels changed, since RftS hasn't been updated to match, it's causing massive issues, like yours.

Thanks for answering the question. Soviet engines does require the KAS plugin, read the OP on its release thread.

Edited by TheFluffiestThing

@FennexFox: & @Felger: Could I get a parts list of what was used. Ideally, rockets should be stiff enough that this doesn't happen. One cause of that wobble is when nodes are not sized correctly. I'm interested in what parts were used in the failed attempt to check things out. Also check out KJR. That helps too.

I've seen it on vehicles with nothing but stock, procedural parts, and procedural fairings (in realism overhaul). It's often exacerbated in vehicles with high-thrust high-gimbal range engines as NathanKell mentioned. Some of the Soviet pack engines fall in this category.

Thanks for answering the question. Soviet engines does require the KAS plugin, read the OP on its release thread.

Well, chalk that up to a poorly posted OP.

No, BobCat Soviet Engines DOES NOT require the KAS plugin. Trust me, there is absolutely nothing in the engine configuration file that requires KAS to be present.

HOWEVER, The Soviet PACK (Soyuz, etc) required the KAS plugin. Notice the past tense, those files are no longer available. As re-released by Dragon01, only the MIR requires KAS, and that is only to attach a solar panel.

I've seen it on vehicles with nothing but stock, procedural parts, and procedural fairings (in realism overhaul). It's often exacerbated in vehicles with high-thrust high-gimbal range engines as NathanKell mentioned. Some of the Soviet pack engines fall in this category.

When I asked for a parts list. I wanted specifics. Attach the Mk1 pod to the stock XL decoupler, etc....Trying to cover all bases, as RO touches THOUSANDS of parts, sometimes things are missed, like node sizes.

Edited by RedAV8R

Glad it helped! I typically either put the control core inside a procedural fairing base on a radial attach point (tweakscale helps here) or in a surface attached pod on the side of the rocket near the CoM.

The reason this works is KSP measures orientation from the root part, unfortunately "control from here" doesn't move that (potential mod idea?) so if your control position is on either end of the rocket, any small perturbation becomes is magnified around the center of mass into a large angular displacement for your controlling core. The controller tries to correct this, but typically fails and overcorrects, amplifying the displacement.

By placing your controlling root part near the center of mass you eliminate the angular -> linear part of the displacement due to flexing of the rocket, preventing overcorrection in the first place.

You really helped me a lot. In my case, I set a fuel tank which contains CoM itself a root part. This doesn`t need any additional part to work. I think it`s the best way!

Making it clear, I use 0.24.2 version of RO and it`s dependencies, including KJR.

This file is the rocket I used, not exactly same on the video but same enough: Frontier 40

I tried to make it with only RO stock and some of AIES parts.

What harm would there be if I just used the FASA/Denny LEM? I'm right at the point now where I'm ready for Lunar missions and I need a nice lander. And unfortunately the only two man RO part is the two-man-lander-can. Not my ideal choice, lol. So I'd wanna try the LEM. Are there any significant bugs with it that anyone knows of to the point of "Dont even bother" ? I'd like to know what I may be getting myself into before I design the mission around a WIP craft. I figure it's only gotta do two things...

I'm working on FASA right now. Do whatever you want, but I can't guarantee when the next version of RO is released that your save won't blow up because you choose to use something unsupported.

This is precisely why I'm holding off on that moon landing and just building planes and test rockets. :) The great thing about KSP is even when I'm waiting on some mods, it's still fun!