[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

Not like you guys have enough to do or anything, but if time ever allows, I would love to see RetroFuture added to the "we're going to support this eventually" list. :)

I've added it to my personal 'look at' list, we'll see about support, if it is added, it will be placed on the bottom of the list.

@FennexFox, ranges are additive if you are using the RT config provided with launch sites, which appears to be the case.

Sorry but that doesn't sounds clear. What do you mean by additive? It multiplies antenna range?

Wasn't sure if I should ask this here or over in the DRE thread: I've got a little custom .cfg files that increases the heat tolerances for spaceplane parts. I'd like to add heat shield module sections for replicating the behavior of space shuttle thermal tiles but have no idea what numbers I should use in ModuleHeatShield. Any advice, or references I can go look at?

@FennexFox: Multiple antennas increase range, and send/receive range increases range. The basics are, what you are seeing is normal. Don't want this to happen, decrease number of antennas or type of antenna.

@walkinator: If you posted anything that resembled a proper bug report we might be able to help you. Get better at them or don't expect support.

@jrandom: This isn't the place to be posting about something custom that you want to do.

I'm working on FASA right now. Do whatever you want, but I can't guarantee when the next version of RO is released that your save won't blow up because you choose to use something unsupported.

Hm, well you see I'm still on 24.2 and that'll remain for quite sometime. So chances are when the next RO version is released it won't work anyway for me. I'm willing to take the chance at a save breaking bug using the proper precautions. And I wouldn't even think of posting a bug report.. so I understand when you say you can't guarantee my save won't blow up. But what I need to know is.. are there any known, crippling bugs with just the LEM that are so bad you'd just say "don't bother." For instance maybe the parts aren't scaled, the resources/fuel isn't scalled, no real fuels or just any bugs that render the FASA LEM totally useless in RSS/RO?

FennexFox: For two nodes A and B, where A's antenna has a shorter range than B:

maximum connection distance = rangeA + sqrt(rangeA*rangeB)

Range of a node is calculated as:

the range of the longest-range dish pointed at the other node, OR

the range of the longest range omni antenna, plus some fraction of sum(range of all other omni antennae) (I think maybe 0.25? Check the cfg)

I have tried re-downloading and re-installing several time and seem to be experiencing a conflict when attempting to load up the windows 64-bit version. The loading hangs at the following point.

[LOG 15:06:30.046] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralParts/Parts/ZOtherMods/RFSRB/proceduralSRBRealFuels'

[LOG 15:06:30.049] Added sound_rocket_hard to FXGroup running

[WRN 15:06:30.050] PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part

[LOG 15:06:30.080] *PP* InitializeBells

[EXC 15:06:30.086] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration)

RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.ChangeEngineType (System.String newEngineType)

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitModulesFromBell ()

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitializeBells ()

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.GetInfo ()

PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)

PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

[LOG 15:06:30.096] *PP* InitializeBells

[LOG 15:06:30.097] OnStart exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.ChangeEngineType (System.String newEngineType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitModulesFromBell () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitializeBells () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[EXC 15:06:30.099] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration)

RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.ChangeEngineType (System.String newEngineType)

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitModulesFromBell ()

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.InitializeBells ()

ProceduralParts.ProceduralSRB.OnStart (StartState state)

I have since tried to troubleshoot further to when it occurs and it only seems to happen when I have all three of Realism Overhaul, Real Fuels, and Procedural Parts installed in the GameData Directory, with only two of thre three installed it loads fine. It will also load fine if I remove the RFSRB.cfg, RFSRBHigh.cfg, and RFSRBSurface.cfg files from Procedural Parts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

@RedAV8R: I just want to know how and why this worked :(

@NathanKell: Wow, that's just awesome! Is that also 'real world' thing? I'm fascinated!

On antennas, more or less, but not quite. In most configurations that people use (symmetric antennas) they'd only increase the range marginally. The real effect would be increasing the 'angular range', or, the area of the sky that the antenna covers. (Search google for 'antenna radiation pattern' for examples)

Even the best omni-directional antennas have signal strength variation depending on the orientation of the antenna. For example, the ISS omni-directional antennas only cover the front 180 degrees of the sky (in the velocity vector direction) or so. The omnidirectional antennas suffer from a much lower data rate for the same power input, since you can't focus the signal power into the direction of the receiver. In normal ISS operation the omni-directional antennas are used only as a backup to the much more powerful horn and dish antennas, since the omni has only 1/6th the data rate of the horn antenna, and about 10,000 times lower data rate than the dish (24kbps vs 300Mbps).

That's one thing that I wish was simulated with RemoteTech, it'd be nifty to have your antenna choice affect how long it takes to transmit science data. It would be a function of distance transmitted relative to the max distance the antenna can transmit. Essentially, the further you are, the less power arrives at its destination, the harder it is to distinguish between 1s and 0s in the signal, so the slower you have to transmit data to get readable data on the other end.

Granted, a fair amount of this is off-topic for Realism Overhaul, but I find it interesting!

@walkinator: If you posted anything that resembled a proper bug report we might be able to help you. Get better at them or don't expect support.

How's this:

1 Earth's SOI is way too small. It appears to be the same as kerbin's SOI in stock KSP, 84,159 Km. It ends before the moon's orbit, so it has to be wrong. Strangely enough, escape velocity seems to still be accurate, it's just the SOI that is too small. I'm fairly certain I installed Realism overhaul and all required mods correctly.

2 The Rocketdyne F-1 listed in the supported mods sometimes becomes invisible when attached to a vessel. I'm not entirely sure how to replicate this yet, as it has only happened to me once. This bug is obviously not as important as the SOI one, which makes the game pretty unplayable.

If the SOI thing is not a bug and is intentional, how am I supposed to work around it?

How's this: Earths SOI is too small (84,159 Km). It ends before the moon's orbit. RO appears to have edited the escape velocity, but not the SOI.

There's instructions in the OP on how to post a bug report, but to help diagnose the issue they need more information than that.

That aside, it's probably not an issue with RO, since Real Solar System is the mod adjusting Kerbin's SOI, not RO.

I have tried re-downloading and re-installing several time and seem to be experiencing a conflict when attempting to load up the windows 64-bit version. The loading hangs at the following point.

I have since tried to troubleshoot further to when it occurs and it only seems to happen when I have all three of Realism Overhaul, Real Fuels, and Procedural Parts installed in the GameData Directory, with only two of thre three installed it loads fine. It will also load fine if I remove the RFSRB.cfg, RFSRBHigh.cfg, and RFSRBSurface.cfg files from Procedural Parts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does it do the same thing in 32 bit? I know RO isn't supporting 64 bit due to its instability, makes it really hard to troubleshoot, not worth the time.

Myrcia: KSP Windows x64 is not supported by RO, or by many required mods for RO (and by not supported I mean "won't work").

walkinator: Update RSS. My fault.

Felger: as you imply, the problem is that RT doesn't simulate bitrate, it just simulates "in range vs. out of range". Whereas in real life, there isn't some magical threshold, just SNR (and thus error-corrected bitrate) goes down.

Felger: as you imply, the problem is that RT doesn't simulate bitrate, it just simulates "in range vs. out of range". Whereas in real life, there isn't some magical threshold, just SNR (and thus error-corrected bitrate) goes down.

Pretty much, yep. The other implication being that by having a large dish on the receiving end you can get away with a lower power output on the sending end, which in itself would be a nifty, if perhaps beyond-scope mechanic for RemoteTech.

Could also have tech-dependent unlocks for better encoding / decoding / error correction algorithms to increase the 'range' of your transmission.

That would actually be pretty easy to do, might even be doable with a few config files. Simulate some parts on the tech tree, have a config apply a blanket range increase to all antenna ranges at different tech levels.

Well, if it`s not RT stock nor Real World thing, could I turn it off?

Which part? If you're asking about the additive range, it's technically a real-world thing as long as your antennas are all oriented roughly the same way, which RemoteTech doesn't take into account. The math might be a little different in real life, it's been a while since I've looked at it, but it's probably close enough.

But if you want to get rid of it, just go to RemoteTech/RemoteTech_Settings.cfg and set MultipleAntennaMultiplier = 0 and it'll only use the highest omni range value on the craft.

That part, however, the Root model *does* take into account. If you give KSC a large enough ground station, you should be able to use a wimpy little antenna *way* far out. :)

Cool! Guess I never tried it. Does it work with satellites as well, or just ground stations (of the KSC variety, counting part-based ground stations as satellites)?

Hm, well you see I'm still on 24.2 and that'll remain for quite sometime. So chances are when the next RO version is released it won't work anyway for me. I'm willing to take the chance at a save breaking bug using the proper precautions. And I wouldn't even think of posting a bug report.. so I understand when you say you can't guarantee my save won't blow up. But what I need to know is.. are there any known, crippling bugs with just the LEM that are so bad you'd just say "don't bother." For instance maybe the parts aren't scaled, the resources/fuel isn't scalled, no real fuels or just any bugs that render the FASA LEM totally useless in RSS/RO?

Official answer, use at your own risk. It wasn't supported, even with 0.24.2. Wasn't even tested by me. Some used some FASA, but this thread no longer deals with 0.24.2.

I don't know about 0.25, but RO for 0.24.2 did the LEM nicely, AFAIK, it had enough fuel and a good enough mass. Only problem is that the FASA adapter for the CSM/SM and the LEM didn't work at all, so it was better to make one with Procedural Fairings.

But I wouldn't expect it to work on 0.25, most FASA things I've tested on 0.25 don't work well. Usually it is just a matter of way too low Delta V (The Titan GLV, Titan II, Atlas, Redstone and I think Saturn IB are short-fueled, and won't reach orbit (in Redstone's case, won't reach its supposed altitude and distance