[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

The mass of Dinkelstein's I-beams, as modified by RO_Squad_Structural.cfg, seems off - the longest beam (3.2m) has the lowest mass:

@PART[structuralIBeam1]:FOR[RealismOverhaul] <-- this is the "M-Beam 650 I-Beam", "A wide, upscaled version of the M-Beam 200 I-Beam."

{

%RSSROConfig = True

@mass = 0.070

}

@PART[structuralIBeam2]:FOR[RealismOverhaul] <-- this is the 3.2m beam, "M-Beam 200 I-Beam"

{

%RSSROConfig = True

@mass = 0.035

}

@PART[structuralIBeam3]:FOR[RealismOverhaul] <-- this is the 1.6m beam, "M-Beam 200 I-Beam Pocket Edition"

{

%RSSROConfig = True

@mass = 0.174

}

EDIT: This is with RO v6.1.0

Edited by mdosogne
Added mod version number

And another one question that I would like to ask. I have constructed a launch vehicle tuned for low orbit insertions with a central core of two stages and four side liquid fueled boosters. Its centre of lift point is normally quite far behind its centre of mass during the whole flight and its centre of thrust is aligned and all of its potentially wobbly booster joints are fixed firmly in place with triangle strut constructions. The problem is that in flight under mechjeb control at some point in flight it is becoming progressively wobbly as the control inputs are becoming so aggressive that no obvious deviation exists at all but the controls are just jumping left and right as crazy in a minute the whole rocket is constantly jumping left and right as crazy. What can the reason for this be?

Thank you!

Was perusing for information on Hotrockets, ran across your post. Too bad they don't support it (Hopefully eventually? I'd love me some expanding plumes!)

Anyway, I've solved your problem here. You're correct that it's something related to the control law, but perhaps not what you'd expect. If it's what I've experienced on a few of my launchers, it's due to the root part wobbling significantly.

Essentially, the payload is semi-poorly attached, which causes it to wobble one way. This causes the controller to try to correct for the wobble, which flings it across, and wobbles too far the other direction, causing the controller to try to correct even more. Etc.

There's two solutions:

Strut the crap out of your rocket.

-or-

Create a 'control pod' and place it somewhere on a stable part of the rocket, just on the side, and use SelectRoot to rebuild the craft around that nice stable control pod (I've always used a probe core, not sure if it'd work otherwise).

This sufficiently dampens the oscillation as measured by the controller, and controls to a part of the rocket that's not oscillating wildly.

Hey RedAV8R and other Realism Overhaul peeps! With this new update supporting the Soviet Engines pack, you may want to include a link to the download for the pack! As if you get it from Bob's forum, it takes you to the old spaceport, and it is no longer supported. So the mod's download is slightly frustrating to find! Just a bit of info there. :P

Hello, I`m here to just ask whether this is known issue or not.
I`m using 0.24.2 version of mod, so it`s clearly not a requesting supports. I just wanna know whether it`s known or not.
As video shows, My rocket always gimbals and wobbles like hell. It doesn`t matter whether I use Mechjeb or my own hand.

Payload is not heavy, it`s just 2.8t comms satelite, and attached with 4 "Heavy" struts. Edited by FennexFox

Found a download link here for Soviet Engines Pack 1.1:

http://.....................com/space/modpart-soviet-engines-pack-v1-1-438.html

It seems to hang the loading process when loading the first engine (NK33), relevant lines of output log:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'BobCatind/Sovietengines/NK33/part/NK33'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Added sound_rocket_hard to FXGroup running

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout

PartLoader Warning: Variable RSSROConfig not found in Part

LiquidOxygen not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ModuleEngines.SetupPropellant () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ModuleEngines.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: O

Output log attached here

Edited by Felger

FennexFox: Yes, KSP doesn't know what to do with engines with high gimbal authority when your rocket is very light. Make sure your max TWR is lower, or turn off gimbal on your main engine(s) and use verniers for control as you approach max TWR.

Felger: Update to latest Real Fuels.

Is there any way I could do pointy heatshields? If not I might give ksp modding a chance and add a mod to procedural parts for it (if swamp_ig lets me).

In terms of programming it: yes. I don't know how to do it, but a simple conical part shouldn't be too hard to do.

There are good reasons why heatshields aren't pointy, though.

FennexFox: Yes, KSP doesn't know what to do with engines with high gimbal authority when your rocket is very light. Make sure your max TWR is lower, or turn off gimbal on your main engine(s) and use verniers for control as you approach max TWR.

Felger: Update to latest Real Fuels.

Thanks, should have thought of that!

Is this that kind of matter? Well, thank you for kind reply but it's hard to believe that my rocket is basically replica of Delta IV of which GTO payload is not very heavier then 3t, and my rocket's initial TWR is only 1.3!

Edited by FennexFox

Another option is to place your root part near the center of mass, it should stop the overcorrection. You can use SelectRoot to rebuild around a new root part (use a probe core).

Sounds logical. I'll try that as soon as possible.

Installed and re-installed as per the OP, but I'm still finding that whenever I try to use the RFTS engine configs, all of the parts disappear from the VAB. Has anyone else found this? I do have a few unsupported mods installed, but not even KW or NovaPunch engines are visible.

Log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17909925/output_log.txt

Hey guys, I'm sure its been said before but thanks again for the great work you're doing here. I know its been said many times that "unsupported" mods receive no support but I suspect my issue is a simple one and I just lack the experience to fix it.

I believe that the RO mod itself scales up all the stock parts, no? I've looked around in the config files and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some kind of scale factor. I had thought that downloading an extra part (an mk3 cargo bay, which is "kerbin sized" - smaller than the RO parts) and then scaling it up would be as easy as adding another line to the config file scaling up the stock parts, and I've spent several hours trying to get this to work but haven't managed any progress.

Am I skipping some simple step that would let me tell the RO mod to scale up an extra part or is it not as simple as that? If it would require major tweaking of the mod I'm totally willing to let it drop.

Thanks!

@Felger: I really would appreciate you going through me before posting this stuff. NearFuture is NOT supported at this time. No worries, it will be, just not yet. All stuff like this causes is people requesting support for something I'm obviously not. Furthermore stunts like this can create more havoc for people later upgrading to a version that IS supported. Seriously if you wanted to be helpful, then make a pull request in git that does the same thing to the existing files, instead of making your own. Or shall I just pass all support questions straight to you?

@TheFluffiestThing So much wrong with this. You DIDN'T follow instructions, and installed unsupported items, then expect support. In addition, I don't support RftS, that's not part of RO, it's not my mod. RO simply disables engine configurations when RftS is installed. Obviously RftS is the problem here, so support needs to be directed there.

@Dawun: Every part is individually scaled. There is no 'blanket' upscale anywhere. If you'd like let me know what mod/part you want reworked and I'll add it to the list.

@TheFluffiestThing So much wrong with this. You DIDN'T follow instructions, and installed unsupported items, then expect support. In addition, I don't support RftS, that's not part of RO, it's not my mod. RO simply disables engine configurations when RftS is installed. Obviously RftS is the problem here, so support needs to be directed there.

Dude, chill, I didn't expect you to go trawling through my log to find / fix a problem that could be of my own making. It did also rear its head when I only had the required & recommended mods installed, so my suspicions were that it was a RftS problem. I wouldn't use it at all but I find the engine configs to be a lot nicer. The reason I posted here was this is a related thread which is significantly busier than the RftS one, I was hoping another user might have experienced something similar and have a solution, if not, hopefully Nathan would see it and when he gets around to updating RtfS know that it's occurring (for me at least).

@Noctis & Viruzzz: What exactly am I supposed to be looking at/for?

@Felger: No it's not a problem with RealFuels. Argon is not in RealFuels. RO adds it, and the manner in which it does depends on whether NF is installed or not.

@TheFluffiestThing: I didn't need to go trawling through your log. It's pretty evident what the problem is. In that it's not RO. Let's get this straight though. Had you come and asked about RftS, while providing a log that doesn't have anything unsupported in it, and not mentioning you followed directions yet installed unsupported mods anyway, then I guarantee you would have liked my response better. Out of curiosity how are RftS 'nicer'?

As for your admitting about posting here. Wrong move again. You don't go posting in another thread simply because it has more traffic. That's just poor forum etiquette, no matter what forum it is, no matter what the relation. RO supporting RftS doesn't mean it's 'related' either.