How will 0.24 contracts work with FAR?

Tortoise

i think contracts will be something like "bring me a sample from the mun. you will get xx credits if you do"

HOW you do it is up to you. build a 1,25m one seater and fly it manually... or mechjeb a 3,75m monster out there. no one would care. well.. maybe your ingame wallet perhaps :D

If you feel FAR is making things easier. You could always use KIDS isp scaler. This way you could just set the atmospheric isp to something closer to stock if you wanted. Alternatively running your own tests between stock and FAR to get an isp scale almost identical.

This should help with any fear of being overpowered with FAR installed. I use it at the moment and even though the reduced atmospheric density of far makes it easier to reach orbit, I can simply scale down my fuel usage. Rockets that wouldn't get to orbit without FAR won't get to orbit with FAR now :)

I don't think it'll be a problem.

Missions most likely will be objective based - the way you achieve them will be up to you.

if we'll ever have a missions that specify the way you achieve them then FAR pilots still won't be as screwed as MechJeb addicts. Just imagine that: you used autopilot for months and suddenly game forces you to actually do something yourself. lol

Well, I think you contradicted yourself right there. I suspect you're right, the objectives can be accomplished by whatever means. Since MJ is largely used for creating and executing maneuvers, which you would be doing anyway, I don't see how the contracts would conflict with what MJ does.

And back to the main topic, I think the same is probably true with FAR. Especially if most of the contract objectives are in space (and on moons, etc), then you're only dealing with the atmosphere(s) for a small portion of the journey anyway.

Edited by NecroBones

Ya, I think you are 100% WRONG in that assumption of us mechjeb users. Why? Because that mod is so widely popular if they <Squad> did something that went against MechJeb, the backlash would be stunning. In the same turn, IF they target mods, then Kerbal Operating System, Kerbal Engineer, and any other mod is just as VIABLE a target as any other. No, they may say you MUST do this, you MUST do that, and you MUST do it with the tech you have available to you, and that is it. BUT, considering that, 1. this game is super easy to "hack" enough science points into existence that, even if they TRY to limit mod users, they would fail, because a mod would shortly arrive to negate such a limitation. 2. it would be bloody STUPID to target a favorite mod of a significant portion of users.

Squad is not hateful towards mods as it would seem some are towards MechJeb. Which by the way, the hate towards MechJeb is frighteningly idiotic in my HONEST opinion. Using it is no different than using say KOS which, lets face it, if you have programming skills, can most likely be made to do the SAME BLOODY THING as MechJeb, w/out the NAME.

Still, it's a valid point. I was quite stumped when I decided to go off MJ.

"Because they might make contracts intended for atock ksp only. FAR changes the whole atmosphere adding aerodynamics. "

I don't see any logical reason why they would.

Because they might make contracts intended for atock ksp only. FAR changes the whole atmosphere adding aerodynamics.

FAR won't affect contracts nearly as much as something like RSS, for instance. Furthermore, there really isn't any reason why modders won't be able to add contracts that apply to their own mods (SQUAD could make it obtuse to do so, as they have in the past, but modders generally find a way).

Because they might make contracts intended for atock ksp only. FAR changes the whole atmosphere adding aerodynamics.

As for you mechjeb people, stop being butthurt because you think you will have to do things manually (which half of you probably don't know how) for once, and you wouldn't like to hear that news.

Been on this forum for just over a year. Congratulations on being the first troll I've ever seen here. How does it feel?

unrelated: Why does every thread have to turn into a bashing circus once MechJeb is mentioned?

related: I don't think the .24 Career changes will have any direct impact on FAR. Let alone any other mod, except for those that simulate similar features. For instance, Mission Commander, a popular "industry and budget" mod is probably going to lose a boat load of following in its current state, because it's primary function is being turned into the core gameplay addition in this next update. I can imagine the next iteration of MC being a massive add-on pack to expand the scope and complexity of missions available. As Regex stated above this post, mod developers will likely find a way to integrate their mods into the new system to allow their new parts and rules to be taken into account for contracts in .24. Some people might just flag their parts as eligible for the different contract criteria for missions, while some might make new mission styles and mission objectives unique to their mod parts.

Overall, I think that the .24 update will probably just not take mods into consideration, which is what we should expect anyway. Stock features should be flexible enough to allow mod developers to add to those features, but not cripple or enable mods directly in any way.

This thread is indeed terrible, and closed.

Remember that discussions aren't won by ad-hominem attacks, calling someone else "butthurt", an "idiot" or by classifying a post as a "rant". Look more closely: why does someone think what they think? If you don't know, ask so. If you disagree, post what you think is flawed in the other person's argument, or what they have missed. Never go after your opponent as a person, directly or indirectly.