Size matters thread! SSTOs, Planes, rovers, and rockets! (No stations) (Rep Thread)

This is one of the biggest things I've ever launched, the Brinstar 1-D capital ship

OgXLmYW.jpg

Used as a transport for a few dozen Kerbals to Laythe so they can start a colony. Together with 3 other ships (the carrier also shown in the album) including base modules and an orbital station with rocket landers. Horribly inneficient of course, but this was more a looks over function thing.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Biggest thing I've ever launched on a "serious" mission (i.e. not just messing around). ~3700 tons on the pad, a bit over 600 tons in LKO. Made for a Jool-5 attempt which has stalled due to performance issues on my ancient PC with such a high part count ship.

screenshot284.png

screenshot387.png

screenshot451.png

I worked on this for a few days, literally chopped it in half and built another (monster)SSTO. They both have structural issues so they're not bullet proof in rough and/or high/low speed landings. IE; In less than ideal conditions they have a tendency to suffer some slight wing shatter. I'm going back to my old, reliable construction methodology and get the endo-skeleton right before the wings go on.

w7V3vhO.jpg

It's a deceptive shot, just count those panels along her back. :confused:

• 1 month later...

The biggest thing I ever launched was for the Launcher-ception challenge - over 13,000T on the ground and 3700T in orbit and it's an SSTO rocket!!!! Pre-liftoff weight tips the scales at just over 13000 tonnes and the starting part count is exactly 617 - I didn't use launch clamps to save weight and to simplify the design.

Final orbit shown with stats and a picture of the full 6-stage SSTO in orbit (inset) - the orbit is 72 x 93 Km so I wasted a bit of fuel on the burn but with a total mass over 3700 tonnes I'm OK with it. Notice also the part count is still 617 and over 140,000 units of liquid fuel :confused:

That gives a calculated score of: ((2 x 3712.4) - (0.2 x 13649.85)) x (2 x 6)((7424.8) - (2729.97)) x (12)

(4694.83) x (12)

= 56337.96

Good enough for top spot on the leader board currently... Whew! I think I'm going to take a break now.

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.