[0.90] Stock Drag Fix - Mar 19, 2015 (BETA UPDATE)

Starwaster

So you're saying the calculated drag force from quoted drag equation is being directly applied as an acceleration (F = a)? (the acceleration is not computed directly in order to make it constant over all parts and avoid the complications to the player varying forces cause)

Except that the A (which is area and supposedly represented by mass in KSP) is completely absent from KSP's drag system.

I'm not sure if your specific example is a reasonable one: AFAIK, in RT antennae can only rip off, if they're deployed. Now, deploying an antenna in the cargohold seems a bit like a cheat, to circumvent the gameplay restrictions of parts, which RT put there on purpose. If i'm right thus far, the RT devs have no reason to address this "issue".

But ignoring your example, this is of course a valid issue. The problem for people like starwaster is, if it is even worth the effort to do anything about it now, when the next KSP version may or may not address this aspect automatically.

I didn't expect Starwaster to fix the issue. I was simply reporting that it didn't seem like the shielded drag fix that he posted a few posts back was working because I figured (incorrectly) that if a part was shielded, the fix would protect it from the effects of rapidly moving through an atmosphere. I misunderstood exactly what the fix was doing.

I didn't expect Starwaster to fix the issue. I was simply reporting that it didn't seem like the shielded drag fix that he posted a few posts back was working because I figured (incorrectly) that if a part was shielded, the fix would protect it from the effects of rapidly moving through an atmosphere. I misunderstood exactly what the fix was doing.

problem occurs when mods implement their own notion of drag damage with their own criteria.

problem occurs when mods implement their own notion of drag damage with their own criteria.

Yeah. I had assumed that there was something in the main code that dealt with drag damage and that all the modders had to do was indicate which parts should be effected by that (and by how much) and which shouldn't. Didn't realize that each mod had the ability to deal with drag damage independant of how other mods dealt with it.

• 1 month later...

Given upcoming KSP 1.0 changes to aerodynamics, I have no idea where this mod will be going in the coming months or even if it will survive KSP 1.0

So, I've been sitting on some changes and experiments that I'm going to make available today:

Stock Drag Fix version 1.2 (EXPERIMENTAL)

• maximum_drag and minimum_drag are now modified based on part diameter and/or length.
  • unused drag models in stock KSP are now put to use. (CONIC and CYLINDRICAL) Nose cones, some crew capsules are set to CONIC. Any non-CONIC part that can have its length clearly determined via Module Manager config is set to CYLINDRICAL
  • Mass compensation mechanism changed. Part mass is discarded in favor of total vehicle mass. Vehicle mass is cached and recalculated each physics frame.
  • Drag now changes based on vehicle orientation. This WILL break MechJeb landing calculations for the same reasons that FAR breaks them.
  • Mach drag modifier in. (using static SL speed of sound. Yes I know this is wrong)
  • Stock cargo bays (Mk2, Mk3) and KW Rocketry's petal adapter now shield parts contained from drag. This will also affect Deadly Reentry: Parts thus shielded will be recognized as shielded by DRE. KSO cargo bays and other will be added later where possible.

https://github.com/Starwaster/StockDragFix/releases/tag/1.2

Breaks MechJeb landings... How about a toggle to disable it when doing landings in atmosphere with MechJeb? It's the fuel savings during liftoffs that I like about this mod. The stock high drag aero is your friend when landing, especially with minimal fuel onboard to reduce landing weight.

• 3 weeks later...

will this be compatible with the FS airbrakes at some point? they don't appear to increase the vessel's drag coefficient whatsoever...

i hope so, since i've tried FAR and NEAR and greatly prefer SDF.

will this be compatible with the FS airbrakes at some point? they don't appear to increase the vessel's drag coefficient whatsoever...

i hope so, since i've tried FAR and NEAR and greatly prefer SDF.

I've never had a problem using SDF and FS airbrakes together

Now can someone explain to me why a feral cat is sitting on my desk eating off my plate while I type this???

(edit: actually, most airbrake parts are grossly overpowered no matter whether it's stock, SDF, FAR or NEAR)

Edited by Starwaster

I've never had a problem using SDF and FS airbrakes together

well when they weren't seeming to work, i tried covering a plane in a couple dozen airbrakes, and when activated they did not change the craft's drag coefficient, nor did they produce a noticeable reduction in deceleration. i'm stumped.

well when they weren't seeming to work, i tried covering a plane in a couple dozen airbrakes, and when activated they did not change the craft's drag coefficient, nor did they produce a noticeable reduction in deceleration. i'm stumped.

You must be missing the firespitter plugin or you have an outdated version of that plugin.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.