TAC containers by R.R. Dynamics Inc.

Sentmassen

R.R. Dynamics Inc. TAC containers

Updated 7/12/14

R.R. Dynamics Inc. brings you new variants on the tried and true TAC life support containers. These new containers are newer, rounder, squarer, and also new!

***My computer went kaput so I have to rebuilt it and install everything again.*** will update this to match .24 TAC as soon as possible.

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE v1.3A/B 7/12/14

More Sizes. Better KerbPaint templates, Optional white texture

updatev1.3AB.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download (v1.3A/B) 7/12/14

Taranis Elsu's TAC life support is REQUIRED for this to function. Version 0.8 supported, do not install this with TAC 0.9 till I update my own parts. Get his mod here.

Keep in mind that RR TAC parts are not the same between A and B versions(different CFG part names). So installing vB in a save thats been using vA will give you alot of missing part warnings. I will maintain both versions so there should be no reason to switch.

v1.3A (The Transitional version) is designed to NOT conflict with default TAC. This is so an existing vessels will not be affected by the addition of this mod, giving you time to phase out the old parts. This file gives you redundant parts which eat up memory, so its advised to replace your vehicles with stock TAC parts then delete "Taclifesupportcontainers" and "hexcans" from the mod folder.

Tweakscale (1.20) is included and required but only has files needed for RR TAC. Kerbpaint files also included, but one must install the kerbpaint mod first.

To install, copy all files (that are inside the RR TAC vX.X folder, Kerbpaint optional) into GameData. Read the kerpaint install.txt to configure its CFG file.

v1.3A Dropbox

Curse

v1.3B(The Scorched Earth version) WILL CONFLICT WITH TAC, as its designed to replace TAC parts and may cause problems with active vessels that have been built with stock TAC parts. Tweakscale (1.20) is included and required but only has files needed for RR TAC. Kerbpaint files also included, but one must install the kerbpaint mod first.

To install, delete the "containers" and "Hexcans" folders from inside the Thunder Aerospace folder. Copy all files (that are inside the RR TAC vX.X folder, Kerbpaint optional) into GameData. Read the kerpaint install.txt to configure its CFG file.

v1.3B Dropbox

Curse

Alternative Can Texture - Currently, you can only replace the stock texture. I'm working on getting a texture swap option for the future

To install, drag and drop the ThunderAerospace folder from the zip and throw it into your Gamedata folder, overwrite when it prompts you.

Alternative white Can texture

Curse

Change log

V1.3A/B

- Cleaned up the Can textures and Kerb Paint maps.

- Added more scale levels to the cans

V1.2A/B

- Added Tweakscale

- Added files for kerbpaint

- Not completely compatible with RR TAC v1.0

V1.1

- Internal testing

V1.0

- Created, compatible with TAC 0.8

Things To Come

- New Recyclers - not yet started

- Alternate textures - need to package currant iteration.

- Tweakscale Compliance - done

- KerbPaint Complience - done.But needs Some cleanup

- Some texture fixes - ongoing

- tweakable fuel types - investigating

Special Thanks to:

-Taranis Elsu's and his TAC life support

-Biotronic and his TweakScale

-Texel and his Kerbpaint

Edited by Sentmassen

Personally I don't like the color of the stackable containers. Brown doesn't really fit with the stock parts and is overall a pretty bad choice because, well, brown is kind of ugly. The small radial parts are really neat though!

Awesome! I realy think TAC needs some new models, and this look verry neat. Specialy the radial components look great! Only i noticed the flamable sign on the oxigen tank, shouldnt that be an oxidant sign?

639_1_1.gif

Regarding TweakScale: anyone is more than welcome to base it off the one I made for TACLS here.. It should be a simple case of replacing the part names.

EDIT: Huh, well, they all have the same name, so no part name changing is required, my cfg will work fine. However, like with the normal containers, you'll need to delete the Large and Small versions of all because the TweakScaled ones replace them.

EDIT2, That said, due to the nature of OPs parts, you'll only end up with one style of radially attached container. If you're ok with that, delete the small and large version of them. If not, delete the Hexcan section from my cfg. If you want both, just delete the Large version of them. Entirely up to the user.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

Personally I don't like the color of the stackable containers. Brown doesn't really fit with the stock parts and is overall a pretty bad choice because, well, brown is kind of ugly. The small radial parts are really neat though!

The brown works for my personal aesthetics. I wanted something that stuck out a little more than stock while hinting at an internal structure. I ended up going for the brown because I liked the top and bottom textures of the RCS containers FL-R10.png and the bulbous design because I felt it was interesting. There's my reasoning.

With that, I was intending on making a white stock texture because I figured some may not hold my enthusiasm for the brown. In the meantime I highly recommend getting KerbPaint http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008-0-23-KerbPaint-Paint-layering-for-parts-(September-23rd)-(Same-Old-Still-Works!) and make a template for it. Its stupid easy and you can have it be any color you like. I will likely make a template eventually, but why wait for me if it will take 10 minutes to do yourself.

Regarding TweakScale: anyone is more than welcome to base it off the one I made for TACLS here.. It should be a simple case of replacing the part names.

EDIT: Huh, well, they all have the same name, so no part name changing is required, my cfg will work fine. However, like with the normal containers, you'll need to delete the Large and Small versions of all because the TweakScaled ones replace them.

EDIT2, That said, due to the nature of OPs parts, you'll only end up with one style of radially attached container. If you're ok with that, delete the small and large version of them. If not, delete the Hexcan section from my cfg. If you want both, just delete the Large version of them. Entirely up to the user.

I wanted to do something like this, but admittedly I'm no programmer/coder. I took a look at procedural parts files for the code for something like this but I couldn't make heads or tales of it. Ill take a look at it when i have a chance.

Edited by Sentmassen

Since I already used a lot of the hex containers in active vessels i really need to know how to add these new ones without replacing anything )and possibly break my saves in the process). What exactly do i need to edit? And why do i need Module Manager for this? Ok, its installed, but if i manually change the names (how many?) what does MM do what i didnt already did myself?

A version that doesnt replace anything would be great, since the looks are really great :)

i really need to know how to add these new ones without replacing anything )and possibly break my saves in the process). What exactly do i need to edit?

The simplest way would be to rename the RR parts from their default. Like, change HexcanOxygen to RRHexcanOxygen or something. The existing crafts will keep their parts intact until you terminate them. In the meantime, you'll have both current hexcans and these new ones.

That said, I'm not entirely sure why ModuleManager is needed here as there's no file it could use. It could be to change the name of parts but seeing as they're both called the same thing, I'm not sure how MM could differentiate between the two.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

FWIW I really like Tyrador's take. I like the brown, just not when the entire part is brown.

But also, yeah, I think you're the final authority on aesthetics in this thread :-)

I tend to agree on both points, I think the brown/grey combo gives more contrast and accents the bulbous parts, but on the other hand the color scheme is the choice of the author.

Since I already used a lot of the hex containers in active vessels i really need to know how to add these new ones without replacing anything )and possibly break my saves in the process). What exactly do i need to edit? And why do i need Module Manager for this? Ok, its installed, but if i manually change the names (how many?) what does MM do what i didnt already did myself?

A version that doesnt replace anything would be great, since the looks are really great :)

The reason I took the old part names was I would get instant compatibility with mods that build off of TAC (there are quite a few). Not doing it this way would be a lot more work in the long run. I figured most people would want to replace the old models rather than keep both. Like ObsessedWithKSP says, in your situation renaming the part "name" in the my cfgs will be the best option. It wont take long.

The simplest way would be to rename the RR parts from their default. Like, change HexcanOxygen to RRHexcanOxygen or something. The existing crafts will keep their parts intact until you terminate them. In the meantime, you'll have both current hexcans and these new ones.

That said, I'm not entirely sure why ModuleManager is needed here as there's no file it could use. It could be to change the name of parts but seeing as they're both called the same thing, I'm not sure how MM could differentiate between the two.

The reference to MM is mostly for TAC. TAC needs it, thus mine needs it, but it is redundant since you would get it with the TAC download so ill delete the reference.

Here is the TweakScale cfg for Sentmassen's containers: https://www.dropbox.com/s/doyfhsv4c0w4kd1/TACTweakScale.rar

1. Remove all the small and large TAC containers' cfg. in TacLifeSupportContainers folder.

2. Extract the file into your Gamedata folder and make sure you have the TweakScale mod installed.

3. Enjoy less part count and more memory.

**UPDATE**

I've added tweakscale configs for everything. I also broke the small radial parts into their own subcatagory, the "Micropack", and set them in their own folder. General organization improving and reduction of parts.

KerbPaint templates created but need a few fixes. This will not not take long to fix. This will allow people to change the color of all the parts to their hearts content.

Created a texture for the containers that's to match the stock white parts. This will be an optional download. Just need to export it and package it for a download.

Two things though:

1. I want to take the tweak scale further and have it so you can choose the resource in the tweak menu as well. This will reduce the number of parts in the VAB from 10 to 5. But I have no idea how to set this up.

2. I would also like to understand how flags are applied to the capsules. Why? Because I wander if I could use it for the resource identification on the containers.

All the containers (food,water,etc) have essentially the same texture, all except for dash on the side, which makes them largely a waste of memory. But if I could just have one texture with a bunch of small overlays, I figure I could save on a bunch of memory, 8 textures gets reduced to 2. But again I don't know what I'm looking for.

So any advice would be appreciated.

Anyway V1.2 (skipping v1.1 for reasons) will likely be out tomorrow around 7-8pm pacific unless I get hung up.

**UPDATE**

I've added tweakscale configs for everything. I also broke the small radial parts into their own subcatagory, the "Micropack", and set them in their own folder. General organization improving and reduction of parts.

KerbPaint templates created but need a few fixes. This will not not take long to fix. This will allow people to change the color of all the parts to their hearts content.

Created a texture for the containers that's to match the stock white parts. This will be an optional download. Just need to export it and package it for a download.

Two things though:

1. I want to take the tweak scale further and have it so you can choose the resource in the tweak menu as well. This will reduce the number of parts in the VAB from 10 to 5. But I have no idea how to set this up.

2. I would also like to understand how flags are applied to the capsules. Why? Because I wander if I could use it for the resource identification on the containers.

All the containers (food,water,etc) have essentially the same texture, all except for dash on the side, which makes them largely a waste of memory. But if I could just have one texture with a bunch of small overlays, I figure I could save on a bunch of memory, 8 textures gets reduced to 2. But again I don't know what I'm looking for.

So any advice would be appreciated.

Anyway V1.2 (skipping v1.1 for reasons) will likely be out tomorrow around 7-8pm pacific unless I get hung up.

I suggest you take a look into the fustek mod. There is one common texture for all parts, plus several different icon textures. Moreover there is also an option to switch between the common textures as well. This is exactly what you are looking for.

I suggest you take a look into the fustek mod. There is one common texture for all parts, plus several different icon textures. Moreover there is also an option to switch between the common textures as well. This is exactly what you are looking for.

Fustek? I don't remember them having this ability. Is this the station parts mod or something else?

Fustek? I don't remember them having this ability. Is this the station parts mod or something else?

Yes station parts, they've recently added this ability where you can switch part's texture like in procedural parts mod. Check yourself.

**Update**

version 1.2A and 1.2B uploaded. See OP for details.

Things of note:

Addition of Kerpaint cfg stuff

kerpaint.jpg

and tweak scale

tweekscale.jpg

Coming up, alt textures.

whitetank.jpg

Now I'm a little drunk so I'm going to go pass out. Let me know if anything explodes.

TAC Life Support v0.9 is released. All resource amounts need to be fixed...

Hmmm... Its a a pre-release build which by Taranis' own admission may not be ready. Ill start working on mine but ill wait to put it out till .9 becomes official.

Hey I have a small remark, shouldn't the warning symbol on the oxygen tank be the "circle in flame" instead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent

Probably, but I like it how it is.

It's a nice part pack, but it seems that inline parts are a little smaller than they should be, because you're using external radius (including these protruding rounded-rectangular thingies) for part size. They look weird when attached to fuel tanks, for example. May I suggest using cylinder diameter as part size instead?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.