[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

I am sure that IF BahamutoD is to put rail guns into the game they would be long range only IE shot over 1km or longer kinda like artillery. I do not see direct fired rail guns to be useful due to how limited the range limit is in KSP stock game. Yes there is mods that increase that range but doing so add in bugs...

I look forward to using the new guns including the AC-130's Howitzer's Can that be fired as if it was artillery Or is it designed for flight shooting down only?

When will this be compatible with Ferram, when I put missiles or bombs on my jet, they always explode shortly after I start my engine.

That shouldn't happen. It works fine with FAR. Can I see what your craft looks like?

I am sure that IF BahamutoD is to put rail guns into the game they would be long range only IE shot over 1km or longer kinda like artillery. I do not see direct fired rail guns to be useful due to how limited the range limit is in KSP stock game. Yes there is mods that increase that range but doing so add in bugs...

I look forward to using the new guns including the AC-130's Howitzer's Can that be fired as if it was artillery Or is it designed for flight shooting down only?

Right. There must be some reason that stock KSP limits range to 2.5km. I haven't looked further into how to increase the range safely yet though.

You can put the gun where ever you want, of course.

--

Here's some footage of countermeasures testing:

Shouldn't work. The bullet would probably unload after 2.5 kilometres.

What part of NeverUnload you didn't get? :) This is a mod that does exactly that. It disables vessel unloading. Anything, including a railgun bullet, should remain loaded, because that's what this mod does.

What part of NeverUnload you didn't get? :) This is a mod that does exactly that. It disables vessel unloading. Anything, including a railgun bullet, should remain loaded, because that's what this mod does.

The part where I didn't know it affects every goddamn ship in the game. (Incidentally, that means you probably don't want to use the mod. Can you imagine the game calculating the exact position of a ship several AU apart from you? Damn... lagtastic.)

The part where I thought it required the ships to never unload to carry a part.

So, maybe next time when somebody responds to you, don't assume they know how every mod for KSP works and answer in a non-conceited or smug way?

Lovely.

EDIT: Ah. It's limited to 300 kilometres. Still.

the ray cast checks for LOS across own vessel; is that by collision box of the part on the vessel? or something more complicated? If a part doesn't have collision box, the turret will shoot through it. correct?

Can I make a few suggestions?

Fixed-mount .50cal machine gun (think Browning M2)

Ball or Bubble Turret, twin .50cal (like the turret on the B-25 Mitchell or the ball turret on the B-17)

Fixed-mount Lewis Gun (for people who like to make WWI-style biplanes)

Edit: Sorry. Wasn't paying attention.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

Ball or Bubble Turret, twin .50cal (like the turret on the B-25 Mitchell or the ball turret on the B-17)

An IVA ball turret (possibly with target tracking?) would be amazing, but have it set up so that you can attach any weapon to a mount/mounts on the outside rather than having a particular one.

Actually I had plans to do roughly this with Infernal Robotics and the Cupola, but I'm not there yet in Career mode.

The fixed 20mm is coming next update, had you bothered to read the last few pages. Also, a bit of config editing can fix the dual .50cal into position. it's not too hard.

He meant the Lewis Gun. The Vulcan is a different beast, Lewis is quite distinctive:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3FVR_andBeY/UD7UyvrNAJI/AAAAAAAAEhM/le5fKl-d5z4/s1600/Lewis+Machine+Gun+MOUNTED+ON+AN+AIRPLANE.jpg

Right. There must be some reason that stock KSP limits range to 2.5km. I haven't looked further into how to increase the range safely yet though.

I'm pretty sure that they limit the loading range to 2.5km to prevent floating point inaccuracy. They said in that they get around that by using the current active vessel as the center of the coordinate system for physics calculation.

As several people seem to be talking about railguns, and the physics-range related issues with them, I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I imagine using a railgun to shoot down things in orbit from the ground (or generally any extreme range fire). If the launched projectile were treated as its own craft, and the players focus switched to it upon launch, then railguns could fire over any range and still have physics applied to their shots. This would of course take the players focus away from the launching vehicle, requiring it to be in a physics-safe state (able to be put on rails) or risk having it deleted. Some kind of aiming tool would probably be a must - a map overlay of the projectile's course perhaps?

Can't see why this wouldn't work for any long range weaponry really. Main drawback that comes to mind is having to follow the course of the projectile could take time and become somewhat boring, though in fact a warp-assistant would negate this.

Rail Gun Turret is all I want. Just for a futuristic looking weapon to put on space ships! XD Whether it be dual turret like the .50 cal one or a single barrel type. Either way would be really cool.

I have an idea for the dilemma with the rail gun and people doubting it due to the long rages it would have (loading range and physics). The idea is that you can see items from the map view and select them even if they are beyond physics range. So taking advantage of this you select your target in this manner and then the plotting computer that the missiles use to track to the target show a colored marker (red was my thought) on the navball. From there you must have control from the gun itself before firing (so instead of toggling the turret you control it like a probe body or cockpit), then line the navball indicator up with the marker and fire. The projectile will then "fall" to it's target (i.e. thrust=x for .1 secs let physics take it form there) This should "bypass" load range problems unless you switch to the slug itself which since it's behaving like a vessel the most that should happen is a slight lag upon loading the other craft in. Also might want to give it a small warhead or maybe not that decision is solely yours to make. Any input on this good or bad is welcome and would probably help BahamutoD if he decides to make a railgun.

Edited by King_komodo93

^ Contradicting yourself there. Physics won't 'take it from there' if its out of physics range. Also if the target's physics aren't loaded, nothing will happen if it gets hit, even if the bullet gets all the way there without unloading itself.

Anyways, today, I did some rewriting of the weapon manager to be able to use different types of weapons. For now, I added a new weapon type "RocketLauncher" for the unguided rocket launcher pods. Later, I'll add turrets and guns to the weapon manager and let you use the primary fire key you assign for firing any weapon with the weapon manager.

Here's a vid of the rocket launcher. It holds rockets as PartResources, so I could use my AnimatedContainer partmodule to make it show how many rockets are left in the pod.

Also wrote in some new stuff for explosions that give them a chance to decouple and/or destroy parts in their radius depending on the distance of the part from the explosion center. This makes rockets/missiles/bombs more likely to fragment a craft instead of sending the whole thing flying.

Edited by BahamutoD