[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Hi BahamutoD, Fluxim here.

I come with a question. Can you make a "static" turret? And with static i mean it does not aim with mouse, just like the hidden vulcan, or GAU-8 cannon (with aimer). Why a static turret? Because it would be awesome if i could make my own custom tank turret, that could be rotated with parts from Infernal Robotics mod!

@ Apache810

You should have two different mod folders for this mod to work, you need the BDArmory which contains the parts etc AND the BahaSP folder which contains the controlling plugin both present in your gamedata folder

And there is a good candidate for a static gun already In the pack in the radially mounted howitzer, a quick cfg edit will give you a fixed gun

minPitch = -10
maxPitch = 10
yawRange = 20

Is the bit of cfg that controls movement change them all to ZERO 0 and that will fix the position.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

@ Apache810

You should have two different mod folders for this mod to work, you need the BDArmory which contains the parts etc AND the BahaSP folder which contains the controlling plugin both present in your gamedata folder

And there is a good candidate for a static gun already In the pack in the radially mounted howitzer, a quick cfg edit will give you a fixed gun

minPitch = -10
maxPitch = 10
yawRange = 20

Is the bit of cfg that controls movement change them all to ZERO 0 and that will fix the position.

the hidden Vulcan is another candidate, but of course it's pitch and yaw range are completely different from radial howitzer. would be nice if the settings made sense.

Thanks.

Bahamutod, how do I make missiles. I have tried replacing cfg and that doesn't work.

I hope this helps: http://i.imgur.com/eDidRR6.png

One exhaustTransform has the smoke effect in world space,

the other has the exhaust flame effect in local space firing out the -Z local direction, and a light as well.

Perhaps the solution to the flare problem could be that each flare has a CHANCE, rather than a flat 100% within conditions, of defeating the missile? And perhaps the more flares you launch, the better the chance? Obviously the detection cone would have to increase. This could also give value to each CM pod eventually carrying a limited number of flares. This solution was suggested and massively supported for flares in Planetside 2, but admittedly it is difficult to define.

Whether you use my suggestion or not, I'd say that if you want missile mechanics to be fully developed, it would definitely be a good idea to find a solution. IRL, as I'm sure you know, the method for avoiding IR missiles generally is to maneuver in as many planes of movement as possible, i.e. start rolling, pitch hard, and dump flares around your turn. It wouldn't be very exciting if the avoidance method ingame is to fly away from or towards the missile while periodically tapping your CM button. That said, you've already achieved far more than any other weapon mod developer has so far, and with a higher mod quality in general, so massive props for that. I just want to see this project go on to be the superior, permanent weapon mod for this game.

I'll see if I can implement something like that.

trying to setup a basic gun. it fires to the +X direction with the fireTransform's +Z pointed forward. if I rotate the fireTransform any other way, +Y or +X forward, the gun won't fire at all. muzzelTransform works as expected. There's no pitch or yaw in this setup, but the transforms are required by the module AFAIK. export root object is aligned to world, Y-up; Z-forward; X-right. everything is oriented Z-forward; Y-up; X-right. no errors in output_log. rotating the root mesh object makes no different either.

http://i.imgur.com/LJjbnh4.jpg

EDIT:

okay something to do with pitch and yaw range settings. can't really understand how the fireTransforms are being reoriented in the code. Seems to be getting reoriented several times depending on target or no target, and the aimTransforms. The fireTransform moves whether it's child of aim transforms or not, which is a bit counter intuitive, though I think I can see why you'd set it up that way.

How do I set it so the gun is fixed and fires forward only? I've tried setting min/max pitch yaw to 0 like the hidden vulcan. the fireTransforms still move in some odd relation to the mouse pointer, even when not children of the Aim Transforms. I can't load the hiddenvulvan mu in blender so I can't see how it's transforms are oriented.

shouldn't the firevelocity be using the fireTransform's direction instead of the pitchTransform's direction?

I hope this helps: http://i.imgur.com/8Ef2qen.png

Sorry about it being confusing. The code was written with a rotating turret in mind, so some things don't make sense for a fixed gun.

Also for fixed guns, make sure that onlyFireInRange is false, or else it won't shoot unless your mouse is pointing directly where the gun is aiming.

I am loving BDArmory. Only a few suggestions, add more action group toggleable things for the weapons controller, like changing target type, changing team and changing guard mode. It would help me out a fair bit in the things I am doing.

Okay, I'll add those in the next update.

A suggestion...

Often times, when I am spamming the fire button (carpet bombing, for example), I tend to lose track of how many bombs I have left. If I run out of bombs, then the console automatically activates the next weapon and it ends up in catastrophes such as me blowing myself up.

Could you make it so that when I am out of a certain weapon, the console sets the selected weapon to "none?" It may force the user to cycle weapons again, but it will definitely eliminate surprises.

If this will be or has been implemented, thanks. If not...thanks for reading anyway.

Yeah, that might be a good idea.

@ BahamutoD

Hi, further down the weapon development tree now, and wondering if I could get a look at the hierarchies for the other types of weapon, primarily any projectile weapons, while i appreciate that they're all likely to use a similar system I'd like to confirm my assumptions. Don't need any more unity packages, it's nice though, images will do fine.

Cheers

Spanner

Try these:

Rocket launcher

rocket

tank cannon

countermeasure pod

im really confused here. i installed everything correctly, but i made an aa platform using 50 cal turrets and 20 mm vulcans, and every time i enable the weapoins, and switch to a plane to test it, it doesnt fire, and i go back, and they are disabled, so i enable the weapons, and i try again, and it keeps happening

People may have mentioned it already, but you have to select a weapon using the weapon manager. Activating turrets individually won't work.

I think i've came across a bug. Having the weapon system armed when a craft is destroyed causes it to stay on screen if you switch to a nearby craft.

Anyone else getting this bug?

Multiple weapon system armed showing on screen :confused:

http://i.imgur.com/oKZZ6PF.png

I'm sure that's an actual bug. I put it on my todo list, thanks.

I have a suggestion that I thought of while playing World of Tanks. How about adding angle detection to shells (not missiles, of course) so that the fancy sloped armor of a lot of tank designs can actually be useful.

That might be going into too much detail and wouldn't matter much anyway since the damage doesn't depend on penetration or anything.

I get random CTDs and no matter what I do, I can not fix it. Can anybody help me?

The only thing I can say is check to see if KSP is running out of memory (too many mods).

the hidden Vulcan is another candidate, but of course it's pitch and yaw range are completely different from radial howitzer. would be nice if the settings made sense.

Any turret can be converted to a fixed gun by setting the range values to zero, and setting onlyFireInRange to false.

Some of the fixed turrets had non-zero values for the ranges because the barrels weren't parented to the rotation transforms in the model anyway so it didn't matter.

Edited by BahamutoD

Ok, those picture helped alot. So basically, the code considers +X as forward for aimPitch and aimYaw, since bullet velocity is dependent on orientation of aimPitch and aimYaw, explains why my guns fire to +X. because my root transform is set to SPH orientation and +X is to the right.

Thanks!

Baha, will you plan on doing aircraft guns, i.e. WWII aircraft guns? Because strykersm is making a real planes cockpit mod(He might make engines and other parts)and we'd need some guns. And are kerbaled(kerbal version of manned) turrets on the way?

The only thing I can say is check to see if KSP is running out of memory (too many mods).

I'm sure that two mods isn't going to make KSP run out of memory, but where in the crash logs can i find out why it crashed?

We could really use an Apache/Cobra-style helo chin turret. Firespitter already has an Apache cockpit, but the Vulcan looks ridiculous under it, not to mention it's field of fire is limited. We could use a gun turret with a large FOF, a nice, slim shape (able to fit under Firespitter-based Apache cockpit, when the gear are down) and respectable firepower (can be 20 or 30mm). Especially since you've made Hydras and Hellfires, both are typically seen on helos (though planes can carry them, they usually use Mavericks instead).

Yeah, I can do something like that myself. It doesn't look anything like M230, even if it acts like one. I want an actual Apache turret, because I want to make (using AJE and RF) and actual Apache, or at least something very close.

This mod is currently beating Infinite Dice's Skillful mod up pretty bad. I'm telling you: Add a fixed M3/M2 Browning machine gun for WW2 fighters and Skillful will die for good. Armory is literally one of the best mods for KSP I have ever seen. :)

I don't think anyone here wants Skillful to "die".

Both mods are very unique, and BDArmory does not have the damage system Skillful has.

Also, several people use both, which seems to work pretty well.

But there is no "competition" between mods from what I know, really.

Hah, yeah there's no competition or anything. I wouldn't really gain anything by stealing users from skillful. (except feature requests :P)

Dragon01 and thegingergamer, the M230 and guided in-vacuum missiles are two of many things I plan to do.

Yeah that too.

I'm sure that two mods isn't going to make KSP run out of memory, but where in the crash logs can i find out why it crashed?

Usually near the end. Or put it on pastebin and post it here (output_log.txt)

Edited by BahamutoD

RE WW2 and fighter guns in particular , what kind of thing would you like to see?, a surface mount browning type with shell eject ?or just something in an aero dynamic pod, surface mount of course , with a barrel sticking out of it,

As my inbox is now filling up with requests to release the stuff i've been making to complement this excellent plugin, this thing maybe available shortly

PS this little mod and developing parts for it has been responsible for the deaths of more kerbals than all the failed rocket flights in my 2year ksp history

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Yeah that too.

Usually near the end. Or put it on pastebin and post it here (output_log.txt)

I installed Active Texture Management and the crashing subsided. I thought that 16 GB of ram was enough, but apparently KSP only uses 1 GB.