[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Bahamuto, what is your vision of this mod? I appreciate that you are so receptive of requests, but I see a point appearing on the horizon where just following those means an unwieldy amount of parts or a strange balance in what it does. I would not dream of telling you how to do what you do, but you might make it easier on yourself if you outline some basic goals.

To be honest, I am sort of just winging it right now. This project started off as just an experiment with making mouse-controlled turrets (hence BahaTurret.dll) and I just got carried away and things snowballed.

I suppose my main motivation is to have a nice variety of assets and functionality for when KSP Multiplayer rolls out. Sure there are plenty of combat games out there, but not many (any?) where you can build your own stuff and even go to space.

The contracts thing people are suggesting seems like a good idea, but I still have some work to do to smooth out all the existing features before taking on something big like that.

Hi as you know I've been making parts, mainly for my fun, for this great plugin. Latest is rovers and pods with built in weaponry, and have found some things that may or not interest you or other part developers.

One of the vehicles is a tank with fully active turret and IVA's etc, of course you get snookered by the fact that the IVA does not or can't in any way i've found rotate with the turret. Fortunately RPM comes to the rescue with the ability to easily add camera transforms and multiples of them to pods and parts, with an arrangement of 3 fwd transforms for the cameras a very acceptable external view is available via 3 internal monitors, It's good enough for a bit of IVA gunnery for sure.

This can even be extended to camera transforms on individual weapons, tests with this have proved very successful, and in combination with the probe control room addon you can control your security drones remotely. It should be noted that in my tests that as with any other animated object you can't just stick an external camera on a weapon and have it follow the movement, unfortunately ksp doesn't work that way, so you will need to do this in unity, unless someone could figure out a way to add a camera transform via MM .

Oh yes of course the other cool thing about this is that you now have a camera that can be panned tilted and zoomed from another location

cJ6QJ1Z.gif

note the recoil shoving the tank back up the runway, love that effect.

One question pops to mind however, is it just me or , does module light not like BDarmory,? I add lights to everything so was quite suprised to find they just refuse to play together, doesn't produce any traceable errors , just refuses to work, so fitting a working high intensity spotlight to an AA gun has proved impossible as yet.

Keep up the great work it's given me loads of new things to try out including a mentioned elsewhere autoloader. but hey isn't animating those rocket pods in unity a tedious business, I've reversed engineered a hydra pod to see how it all worked, the fire anim took a while to work out , as to how to make them disappear :) but it works well now after hours or rockets shooting off in every direction except the one I wanted, hope you dont mind.

Well impressed with your winging it, cant wait to have a look at one of those bomb racks

Cheers

Spanner

That's easy, take a AIM-9 increase the size by a factor of 1.5 maybe 2, I would have to research how big a Patriot missile actually is. And when a missile comes in target it, and fire. The missile will intercept the other missile.

I know it can be done because I used an old model of the AIM-9 from someone else that actually looks more like a R-73, and changed some things in the cfg file and now I have a thrust vectoring short ranged "IR" air to air missile.

lol man i've tried it and the missiles went THROUGH each other...i saw that frame lol...i wanted a proximity detonator for it to just pass near enough and detonate

Not sure if suggested before, but could you add damageable tracks? If hit with enough force, they will be destroyed, but if hit with a (still large) amount of force, a kerbal needs to go out and repair them. Kinda like with wheels :D Also, if armour gets added, then can armour angling be implemented i possible? This will make soviet tank designs much more effective. Great mod, can't wait till .25 with this :cool:

Would it be possible to add support for more than two teams in this mod?

I would like to use this for a war game that has multiple sides instead of only two sides. The option to cycle through more than two teams, or set the craft team while building, would be fantastic for a number of different opponents to engage with one another using the guard mode.

I do not know how hard this would be to implement, but the mod already supports two teams so I think this could be done relatively easily. There would need to be some logic in which order enemy craft are attacked if more than one is within range. Perhaps firing only at the nearest one first would be easiest until it is sufficiently damaged, and then move on to the next closest target.

When I was saying manned turrets, I don't mean full twisting turrets, I know the IVAs aren't capable of that yet, but I mean one with a fixed area for the kerbal, just a maneuverable gun on a fixed point. That needs to be manned to be operational.

Edited by Reichtangle

Dear BahamutoD,

Is there any chance we could see some advanced missiles/bombs?

Storm shadow- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Shadow

Brimstone- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(missile)

SBD's- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Diameter_Bomb

Paveway IV- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paveway_IV

Tomahawk- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)

AGM-154 JSW- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-154_Joint_Standoff_Weapon

These are just ideas, But please tell me what you think!

-snip- armour angling -snip- This will make soviet tank designs much more effective. Great mod, can't wait till .25 with this :cool:

Angling makes any design with a non-piked nose more effective, unless extreme cases. The IS-3 for example, has a piked nose and angling will only hurt it. The King Tiger however benefits massively - the frontal armor is unpenetrable by any gun < ~200mm of penetration, and angling makes it even harder to do so. However, the Panzer IV benefits very little - 80mm frontal armor to 30mm side on the Pz4G means that the armor can only be angled up to 86mm effectiveness. I understand the Pz4H has spaced armor on the sides of its hull and turret (the turret also has rear spaced) and that would help. Actually I need to test spaced armor a bit... It could help my tanks a lot, side skirts look really nice in KSP.

How do i fire vulcan?

I toggle turret and it follows my movement, i see crosshair, but nothing happens when i click. Do i have to click or press some other key?

I think you might be either trying to fire too close to your own vehicle, or the line of fire is intersecting your own vehicle. You cannot fire too low and you cannot hit yourself.

Here's another thing I've been working on. Its a UI window accessible from the toolbar that has all the functions of the weapon manager. It includes a clickable weapon selection list.

Edit:

Also, this:

eBBCwc4.jpg

Edited by BahamutoD

Here's another thing I've been working on. Its a UI window accessible from the toolbar that has all the functions of the weapon manager. It includes a clickable weapon selection list.

Edit:

Also, this:

http://i.imgur.com/eBBCwc4.jpg

So quick question about those rails there will we be able to add more than 1 or 2 laterally? Or will I have to continue doing what I have been, which is mounting structural plates to the sides of them, not that I mind it's kind of neat to say it's a "custom" missile pod mount.

So quick question about those rails there will we be able to add more than 1 or 2 laterally? Or will I have to continue doing what I have been, which is mounting structural plates to the sides of them, not that I mind it's kind of neat to say it's a "custom" missile pod mount.

I'm not sure what you mean. Show me a picture?

I improved the cluster bomb a bit. Now it has the flip out fins and little pop sound effects for the submunitions.

PS: I'm waiting for 0.25 before releasing an update.

Edited by BahamutoD

I'm not sure what you mean. Show me a picture?

I improved the cluster bomb a bit. Now it has the flip out fins and little pop sound effects for the submunitions.

PS: I'm waiting for 0.25 before releasing an update.

I don't know how well it can be seen here but if you look at the hellfires you can see it best, but I like to put the structural panels on the side of the attachment points to allow for a few more missiles/bombs on fewer attachment points.

http://imgur.com/XxEzZtH

Also the sub-muntions sound kid of like balloons popping though I kind of like that and honestly it's a smart move to wait for .25 that way you don't need to rush out an update afterwards.