[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Right now, crash tolerance is only a factor for bullet damage. I'll make it a factor for explosion damage as well. Also right now, explosions damage and push any object in the radius, regardless of if there's an object blocking it. I'm working on a balanced fix for that as well.

Pretty cool. That should allow for custom or after market armour plating, if people desire.

It should probably be noted that in real life even heavy armour has very little chance against a good or direct hit from bombs or big guns, so people might still be disappointed when playing with somewhat realistic armour.

Actually WW2 Rolled Homogeneous Armor may be literally tear apart from big caliber HE shells and bombs but modern composite armor like Chobam or AMAS is quiet resilient to explosions due to how well it can recieve and spread kinetic force and stress . Back IT : something i would like to see if you implement armor is different shells for cannons , at least an AP and HE differentation to deal with tanks and lightly armored vehicles or imfantry with the right type of shell . Then if you want you could even add APCR , APFSDS , HEAT and various types of bullets for gatlings and .50 like incendiary , fragmentation , tracer and so on .

Actually WW2 Rolled Homogeneous Armor may be literally tear apart from big caliber HE shells and bombs but modern composite armor like Chobam or AMAS is quiet resilient to explosions due to how well it can recieve and spread kinetic force and stress.

Look at modern war zones and see how heaps upon heaps of armoured vehicles are peeled open like cans. The Ukraine conflict is a good example. Though the age of equipment varies quite a bit and includes vehicles going a long way back, the relevant rolling material does not only to represent earlier armour types, but also modern ones. Especially air strikes seem to be incredibly dangerous to crew and vehicles, though (near) direct hits from artillery also take their toll, even if those guns often date back to WW2 or before.

If there is one thing to take away from all that it's that a modern symmetric war is a horrible meat grinder. It more a matter of luck than equipment whether you survive or not, if the wrong guy decides to open up you're done for, no matter the armour you roll around in. Historical and asymmetric wars are probably not much different, just horrible in other and more lopsided ways.

Is AMAS personal armour, by the way?

Good point , in real wars it's not rare to see some old designs still being used in fights and even more modern ways to defend equipment and men are often failing to do so because of the shear power modern weapons have ( that's also why active defence syst are prefferred ) . I meant AMAP instead of AMAS , wrong letter sorry XD , if you don't know what it is it's a modular composite armor designed to being able to be added "on the fly" to counter specific treats .

EDIT : for on the fly i mean from mission to mission , don't think that it could be added between engagements , it still need time to be welded or mounted on the vehicle

Edited by RaimondLuxuryYacht

The Vulcan can not be fired via action groups, only via mouse click. Or did I miss something? Would be nice if it could be fired like any other weapon so I can hook it up with my joystick ;)

I guess it's a problem with the continuous fire and the input event?

Not to intrude here, but I've been reading back through the forum pages on this thread (got bored) and noticed a mention of InfiniteDice's Skillful mod. It was dismissed as being too complicated, but one poster on HIS thread created a .bat file (or something similar) to apply patches to every part in every KSP folder with the Skillful structural system, with material based on that part's category and type. I used it with 30-something mods running on an old save, and it worked great. The best part is, it patched parts that could be created from other parts. I'm guessing that, if Bahamuto adds shell selection for the guns in this mod, that .bat file will be able to give these guns the ability to work with skillful. With a few coding tweaks, of course, but nothing too major. If not correct shell damage, then the guns would at least stop working from damage taken.

I'm going to try to do that if I have spare time, but I don't have at lot of experience with code and I'll only be able to do .cfg edits. And no, I'm not asking anybody else to do this. I just thought it would be cool.

The Vulcan can not be fired via action groups, only via mouse click. Or did I miss something? Would be nice if it could be fired like any other weapon so I can hook it up with my joystick ;)

I guess it's a problem with the continuous fire and the input event?

No turrets or guns can be fired from action groups, they can only be enabled or disabled. The global fire key can be changed in the settings (alt-B). You can change the fire key to something on your joystick there.

For input naming conventions, read the bottom of this page: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ConventionalGameInput.html

(without quotation marks)

Could you please add a team/lack there of that shoots at all other vessels? It's the only thing guard mode is missing for me. Hell, if you wanna get fancy, how about a per vessel whitelist.

Hi BahamutoD!

Big fan of your mod, and have been building various planes for it and whatnot, but im not sure if i stumbled onto a bug or just a game limitation. I took somewhat simple plane that i had built, loaded it with 9 Cluster bombs, and proceeded to release them as fast as i could at about 2000M ASL... as soon as the all broke open the game froze, and i had to force close it, so no crash log that i know of.... any idea what happened there? Ive tried to replicate it but it dosent seem to want to happen again.

Hi BahamutoD!

Big fan of your mod, and have been building various planes for it and whatnot, but im not sure if i stumbled onto a bug or just a game limitation. I took somewhat simple plane that i had built, loaded it with 9 Cluster bombs, and proceeded to release them as fast as i could at about 2000M ASL... as soon as the all broke open the game froze, and i had to force close it, so no crash log that i know of.... any idea what happened there? Ive tried to replicate it but it dosent seem to want to happen again.

Sounds like an overload caused by too many separate physical "crafts" being loaded into a small area at the same time. Try spawning 400 little probes above the KSC and letting them crash and go boom all at the same time. You'll get a similar result.

EDIT: Not that I know of any way someone could "spawn" crafts like that... it's just an example.

I'm having trouble setting my turrets to guard mode. i would fly by them and they wont shoot back. the distance, scan interval, and feild of view are turned up all the way. what am i doing wrong?

Did you remember to set the turrets to a different team than your craft? That's quite important.

I'm having trouble setting my turrets to guard mode. i would fly by them and they wont shoot back. the distance, scan interval, and feild of view are turned up all the way. what am i doing wrong?

Version .25 of ksp

Version 0.6.1 of BD Armory

Scan interval is the time between attempts to shoot at you. If you turn it up all the way, it means it will wait 60 seconds before trying to find you.

Hi BahamutoD!

Heh, well lets hope it doesn't happen again then.

Ive tried to replicate it but it dosent seem to want to happen again.

If it happened once it is not really worth the energy looking into it. Maybe a bit fell over in your RAM, maybe the wind was blowing in the wrong direction, who knows?

A heads up:

While playing career last night, I found that there is still an issue when rendezvousing with vessels. When they load, their velocity suddenly jumps to whatever velocity your vessel is. For example, I was in a suborbital trajectory on an intersect course with a stranded kerbal in orbit, and when we came within loading distance, the kerbal was suddenly in a suborbital trajectory as well. This most likely has to do with the physics range extension feature of BDArmory. You may want to remove BDArmory if you are playing KSP for real.

Sorry for the inconvenience - this is still in 'Addon Development' for a reason ;).

PS - I was still able to save the kerbal.

A heads up:

While playing career last night, I found that there is still an issue when rendezvousing with vessels. When they load, their velocity suddenly jumps to whatever velocity your vessel is. For example, I was in a suborbital trajectory on an intersect course with a stranded kerbal in orbit, and when we came within loading distance, the kerbal was suddenly in a suborbital trajectory as well. This most likely has to do with the physics range extension feature of BDArmory. You may want to remove BDArmory if you are playing KSP for real.

Sorry for the inconvenience - this is still in 'Addon Development' for a reason ;).

PS - I was still able to save the kerbal.

Yeah I had the same issue, but with deadly re-entry. He jumped into the rescue craft one second before things started to heat up (35km), It was so badass...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me there is a bug with the cluster bombs that causes extreme lag with miniguns AND cluster bombs, It didnt happen before 0.6.1 and it cant be my pc because i have a pretty decent setup.