[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

For the tank, set "Fire limits" to 'none'. The fire limits prevent you from firing if you are trying to aim at something that is outside the range of motion of the turret. Since you set yours to not be able to yaw, it will never be in range unless you put your mouse exactly within its plane of motion. Turning off fire limits lets you fire it even if your mouse is not within the range of motion. It's useful for any fixed turret, or like in your case, a turret fixed to one axis. I made it automatically free the limit when both axes are set to zero, but I guess I need to make it happen when any axis is zero. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks a ton for the lightning response!

I also have a suggestion:

I know of and have been watching videos of DCS (Don't have it but it looks interesting). There seems to be a camera that always points to a point in space no matter how the craft moves, until of course the plane moves so drastically the camera can't really go on a lock on it.

Can you add a camera with this functionality to BDArmory? You could add a separate camera part, or maybe you could make the camera appear out of the weapon manager (Like how the .50 BMGs go out of their shell). Moreover, it would also be nice for it to have multiple settings.

Camera Settings that i suggest:

Bombing Mode: Makes the camera point to the green pipper indicating where the bomb will land. Please make it high zoom to make high altitude runs easier.

Guns Mode: Makes the camera point to the white pipper while controlling a projectile weapon

Missile Mode: Makes the camera point to the target.

Custom Mode: This will let the user move the camera, the camera will always point to the point of space specified by the camera.

Don't forget Rasterprop Monitor!

You're welcome for the post, have a nice day!

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

VentZer0,

It's pretty easy to get a target-camera view into RPM (I've done it before in testing but didn't include it in release), then be able to slew and ground-stabilize the view and target it with missiles with some small additions to the BDA plugin, but I don't want to create dependencies for now. The current targeting indicator isn't part of the mod; it's KSP so I don't know if I can or want to remove it.

And yes there are some changes I want to make to the mk2 lightning, including the things you said. I'm holding off on that until the B9 pack converts it's Mk2 shape to that of SP+ since I will have to make adjustments at that time anyway.

Can you tell me how you did that and what dependencies would that be? Could be some alternate release stuff, you know if want this then get the other stuff too kinda thing.

YAY! \o/

Will they keep the old ones too or will it be completely converted? I like the old style more, I'd be ok if they include an adapter for the SP+ versions.

What about something simmilar to BF4 SA-18 IGLA, it's very simple and works very well.

Also, I missed the white ring for the mouse aim the last time I played, it was better before when we had it.

Sometimes the gun limits can make it hard to know where your mouse is, and also aiming around gets harder.

That'd be nice aswell, nearest target or the target under reticule will always be locked and tracked, simple and effective I guess ^^

That, just like in real life.

Oh, I just figured out I was using the modified version of your plugin, nevermind.

Edit: lol "like in real life" for a star wars weapon, I guess it would be the only thing like in real life about it.

Well in the movie, the bomb was moving, then hit an asteroid and the explosion was stationary with the asteroid. Also if it's the bombs velocity, and it impacts the surface of a planet, it would continue to travel down below the surface. So how about if it is stationary with whatever it hits? Fine, until you use the timed detonation and it explodes without hitting anything. Or if the bomb hits a moving target, then will the explosion start moving along at that target's velocity? In each case, it would either look weird or not make sense.

Can you tell me how you did that and what dependencies would that be? Could be some alternate release stuff, you know if want this then get the other stuff too kinda thing.

YAY! \o/

Will they keep the old ones too or will it be completely converted? I like the old style more, I'd be ok if they include an adapter for the SP+ versions.

Well I added an empty game object to the weapon manager and referenced it in an RPM MFD camera config, then wrote some code in the BDA plugin to make that empty game object point wherever I wanted it to. The dependency of course would be RPM. Anyways, like I said before, I don't want to focus on that at this time.

CrayzeeMonkey, we discussed all that in the last couple pages.

Edited by BahamutoD

Well in the movie, the bomb was moving, then hit an asteroid and the explosion was stationary with the asteroid. Also if it's the bombs velocity, and it impacts the surface of a planet, it would continue to travel down below the surface. So how about if it is stationary with whatever it hits? Fine, until you use the timed detonation and it explodes without hitting anything. Or if the bomb hits a moving target, then will the explosion start moving along at that target's velocity? In each case, it would either look weird or not make sense.

I think that it's sensible to ignore whatever was there on the movie, so we can have a gameplay oriented approach.

If the bomb actually hits the surface, it will first stop for a fraction of time then explode, so it is still the bomb's relative speed.

So, the bomb should have an added timer to it, after hiting a surface, so it can explode without passing through the planet.

The only issue would be if the bomb was falling then exploded few moments before touching the ground, but that can only be done on purpose.

This would allow for someone to launch it from a plane and the explosion will move forward, but I don't see it as being an issue as you can easily kill yourself doing that.

<SNIP>

Ok nukes probably not going to happen, people have asked for them time and time again. If they do great, if they dont great. I don't see what the big deal is about them. I guess they are cool to those who didn't grow up during the Cold War.

As for your 20 and 30in guns that could fire nukes. Well the 203mm and the 155mm howitzers used by the US Army can fire tactical nukes of about 1-10kt range. Unfortunately they dont have the range to get out of the blast zone themselves.

<SNIP>

The system you are showing is basically the same as the US Lantern Pod system used on the F-16, FA-18, F-15E and the A-10. It isnt the camera guiding the weapon it is a laser beam guided weapon or a radar guided weapon depending on the mode the system is set to and the weapon selected. Not sure how the Russian equivalent works but I am sure it isn't to much different then the NATO version. The system is pointed torwards a point on the ground, then locked to those coords, once it is locked it has a limited range of motion the craft can go in before it is out of slew range. When it is locked you can activate your laser designator and guide your weapon system to target. There is still a fair amount of room for error in that system. Most of the guided bombs have a pretty good accuracy range, but if they for any time lose the laser signal or the signal is moved, they don't have the inertia to adjust much, depending on altitude deployed and the speed they were deployed at. Most deployment of those weapons though top out around 28-30kft ASL. And are never deployed at supersonic speeds.

The current system does a good job of simplifing that, you don't need the high speed gizmos of the modern airforce to get the job done. If you were to have all that additional stuff you would need a lot more work and detail to the game before it could handle it and do it justice.

Next thing you all will be asking for is BLU bombs or Napalm and FASCAM rounds for your howitzers.

That still has all the issues you get from detonating it with a timer. Maybe I shouldn't have made it after all... I don't want to deal with all that crap.

Well, then maybe you should put it aside for when you are on the mood.

I am not the one using that, but people seem to like it.

I mean, people seem to like the idea of futuristic weapons, maybe that one is not the most appropriate, but you could make it some other time.

Not really a fan of sci-fi, thus I don't really think you can balance those guns on a more physically accurate environment such as KSP.

Well, then maybe you should put it aside for when you are on the mood.

I am not the one using that, but people seem to like it.

I mean, people seem to like the idea of futuristic weapons, maybe that one is not the most appropriate, but you could make it some other time.

Not really a fan of sci-fi, thus I don't really think you can balance those guns on a more physically accurate environment such as KSP.

Heh, sorry, I know I'm a bit bitter. I don't mean to direct it at you; I know you're just trying to help.

Yeah there are a lot more issues with sci-fi stuff. For example, I was approached by Cupcake about making slower firing pulse lasers so you could have an obstacle course of guards on the Mun and still be able to dodge them and fight back with a slow moving VTOL. I thought it was a fun idea so I gave it a shot and ran into the dilemma of whether or not the slow projectiles would carry the initial velocity of the moving vessel or just spawn at the location of firing and only have the muzzle velocity and direction from that spot (which is how lasers work in most scifi games). The problem with the first was that you would have to have lead your target by a huuuge amount because of the slow projectile velocity. The problem with the second was it was very easy to be moving quicker than the muzzle velocity of the projectile, so after firing forward, it would be moving backwards relative to you.

BahamutoD, do you plan on exploring the niche of electric weapons a bit more? There are many interesting things that can be done gameplay-wise with Coilguns and Railguns.

One thing I believe would be rather nice is a coil gun that can have it's barrel extended by adding "coils", that would serve like a modular extension. It would increase final muzzle velocity at cost of power consumption and overall mass of the system.

What do you think?

P.S.: Do you have any plans on adding smaller guns for fighter planes? WWII-style machine guns, maybe?

Great mod! I use this mod accompanied with B9 aerospace to make some pretty massive (but laggy) warships and battle ships. I gotta say I had no idea that a mod could do so much! The target-able turrets and tracking is just incredible. Now just a few questions/suggestions. I understand that there is a 5 km max range for projectiles due to an engine limitation, but would it be possible for there to be a missile that has a 5 km range? Something like a tomahawk or p-800? Also i'm not sure how hard it'd be code but adding in launch boxes like the MK 41 VLS or TOR, I'd like to say it would act like the in-game hydra but it would use guided munitions instead.

Again great mod! I know nothing about coding or texture/model making so I don't know if the above suggestions would even be possible.

The system you are showing is basically the same as the US Lantern Pod system used on the F-16, FA-18, F-15E and the A-10. It isnt the camera guiding the weapon it is a laser beam guided weapon or a radar guided weapon depending on the mode the system is set to and the weapon selected. Not sure how the Russian equivalent works but I am sure it isn't to much different then the NATO version. The system is pointed torwards a point on the ground, then locked to those coords, once it is locked it has a limited range of motion the craft can go in before it is out of slew range. When it is locked you can activate your laser designator and guide your weapon system to target. There is still a fair amount of room for error in that system. Most of the guided bombs have a pretty good accuracy range, but if they for any time lose the laser signal or the signal is moved, they don't have the inertia to adjust much, depending on altitude deployed and the speed they were deployed at. Most deployment of those weapons though top out around 28-30kft ASL. And are never deployed at supersonic speeds.

The current system does a good job of simplifing that, you don't need the high speed gizmos of the modern airforce to get the job done. If you were to have all that additional stuff you would need a lot more work and detail to the game before it could handle it and do it justice.

I mentioned the LANTIRN pod in an earlier post before or maybe in another thread, but since it's KSP I dont expect everyone to know about military aircraft weapon systems so I didn't get into much detail.

And yeah I know the display is basically just the sight of laser that is actually targetting the missile/bomb into the target. The slew limit should be implemented aswell of course. It doesn't have to be detailed like it is in DCS for example. Just simple move camera to target or spot, lock and guidance system on, release of weapon, and finally weapon trying to home in on the tracked target location - if within launch window it will hit or not.

Simply excellent. Great mod keep it up

By the way, any way we're getting more turrets? I feel like Goalkeeper and Abrams turrets(Not counting vulcan and chaingun) arent enough. Maybe we can get some SPAAGs turrets? Like Flakpanzer Gepard?

[Pic is probably too big no idea how to spoil]

Gepard_1a2_overview.jpg

Also anybody else thinking the current Abrams turret is WAY too big?

839924361f.jpg

(Yeah i make tanks at KSP)

I have made another hull, a bit bigger than this, but its still too big.

Gotta say those seismic bombs are neat, the only issue i can foresee is them being LITTLE BIT (err alot) overpowered at least compared to teh rest of the weapons. I say there should be a sci-fi addon pack to the main BDArmory mod, making MP balance possible by just separating the sci-fi stuff in another submod.

Gotta say those seismic bombs are neat, the only issue i can foresee is them being LITTLE BIT (err alot) overpowered at least compared to teh rest of the weapons. I say there should be a sci-fi addon pack to the main BDArmory mod, making MP balance possible by just separating the sci-fi stuff in another submod.

BahamutoD Said that he will work on more Sci-Fi stuff at a later date and work on modern weapons, but the Seismic Bomb was a great idea.

As for it being OP, it is not Too OP. The direction of the explosion is completely random, meaning it may hit your own ship when it goes off, or miss everything.

Hello!

I'm trying to make a Tank Destroyer with an M1 Abrams cannon on it. I disabled it yawing back and forth (In order to not clip through the tank armor) by setting the Yaw amount to zero, However when i launch and toggle the M1 Abrams cannon, i can move my mouse and the cannon (tries) to point at my mouse, But the green pipper that usually indicates where a weapon is pointing is gone. What happened?

Here is the picture of my Tank Destroyer and the cannon's settings: http://i.imgur.com/UfhBn54.png

On the topic of nukes

If this has been suggested before i apologize, i just needed help with a problem and i saw your post, and i had a few ideas. Why not make the nukes not really "insta-kill" except for kerbals and low crash tolerance parts. Structural parts such as Structural plates or anything with high tolerance should be able to withstand a nuclear blast (And also the KSC buildings, given they are supposedly designed to be strong and handle rockets inside of them). High structurally tolerant parts, when flying or not really bolted down to the ground with a craft (On the ground of course) with high mass should go flying off into the air. As with high structurally tolerant parts "bolted down to the ground", i mean parts attached to vessels with high mass on the ground would not fly off and would protect anything from a nuclear blast, This could be interesting because somebody could make some kind of nuclear bunker made out of structural plates and it could protect anything inside it from a nuclear blast.

I apologize if i look like a fool. I haven't really studied nuclear blasty fun stuff.

Nope that's OK. Apparently modern tanks are very resistant to tactical nukes. Which means they're not that effective.

As for strategical nukes, that should just kill any and everything spectacularly in like 10km radius and send stuff flying up to 15 or more. As a last resort you could say, a spectacular game-ender.

Could you possibly add a shockwave for missiles/bombs/cannon hits? It would have a wobbly effect going outwards from the explosion, and damage anything it hits absed on it's distance. Kind of like the sci-fi bomb thing, but the effec could be different and (if not yet) reduced over range. Here's the way I could see it implemented:

hasShockwave = true

shockwavePower = 20 (measured like bombs, indicates the power at the centre)

shockwaveKnockback = 0 (power of knockback, none if set to 0. For example if you want a pure deconstruction-like effect, where the target just falls apart)

shockwaveScaling = 0.5 (units of power lost per metre. This also indicates the radius, so in this example, the shockwave will have a radius of 40m due to the 0.5 scaling and 20 power)

shockwaveSound = A\B\C\shockwave.wav

It would be similar to the sci-fi bomb, but more fitted for large bombs, missiles, and ship cannons. If there is ground within it's radius, it renders on the ground. If not, it renders like the shockwave of a large explosion in stock KSP, with the shockwave being rendered on the plane of the part it hit (if it hits a structual plate on the 1x1m face, it will render at the angle to not slice through the middle, but to go along it's plane if you know what i'm trying to get at here). AFAIK, the destruction FX in ksp follow the part that has been destroyed, and don't look out of palce for a viewer with a different velocity. I think that would also work witht he sci-fi bomb.

That will happen when (IF) I can figure out how to get attached parts to move with turrets. This is non-trivial... infernal robotics is confusing as heck.

It also only works when the player is in active control. Which means you can approach a fully turnable SAM and still get behind it, making it easy to kill it.

So on this stuff, I came up with an idea!

A merge of a .50 cal, a rocket pod and guided missiles.

Basically the .50 cal is a little turret that pops out of a case and moves around 360 degrees, so what if you made a different model that acted sort of the same and instead was a missile rack?

It would mean making rocket pod type stuff able to fire guided missiles, at least if you want an effective turning SAM with guard mode and all.

Although unguided could have uses, such as missile artillery (bombarding) or creating "storms" of missiles... though I think most craft can avoid that. At least countermeasures would have no effect and it would sort of follow the target. Could actually be useful for like capital ships/stations when I think about it, or for hitting massive slow planes that just dump dozens of flares and continue straight on when faced with missiles.

So yeah, a deployable missile rack type thing that acts like a .50 cal and can therefore turn and hit stuff in guard mode.

Also anybody else thinking the current Abrams turret is WAY too big?

Have you tried Tweakscale? It's basically a mod that makes partsize in the editor tweakable. It might help with the partcount and tediousness making a large tank.

A T-90 turret should be added, as the actual turret body is smaller and more "pancakekier". Or even smaller, the turret of an M4 Sherman. It would be nice to see in the future a completely original set of weapons from Bahamuto (As a separate package maybe), or maybe somebody else (HINT HINT, MAKE ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC KERBAL WEAPONS PACK).

As for strategical nukes, that should just kill any and everything spectacularly in like 10km radius and send stuff flying up to 15 or more. As a last resort you could say, a spectacular game-ender.

Maybe way way in the future. In some kind of multiplayer domination gamemode, the strategic nuke could be the very last thing in the tech tree, when the player researches it, the player automatically wins (This tech basically assumes that the player would like to strategically nuke all the players (as they have the tech to do it)). This could encourage scientific advancement and espionage/tech stealing (assuming this will be in the 'gamemode').

CrayzeeMonkey, we discussed all that in the last couple pages.

When you're implementing the target camera, can you consider the settings for the camera i suggested?

I'm sorry for bringing up something that may have been resolved though.

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey

Have you tried Tweakscale? It's basically a mod that makes partsize in the editor tweakable. It might help with the partcount and tediousness making a large tank.

A T-90 turret should be added, as the actual turret body is smaller and more "pancakekier". Or even smaller, the turret of an M4 Sherman. It would be nice to see in the future a completely original set of weapons from Bahamuto (As a separate package maybe), or maybe somebody else (HINT HINT, MAKE ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC KERBAL WEAPONS PACK).

Maybe way way in the future. In some kind of multiplayer domination gamemode, the strategic nuke could be the very last thing in the tech tree, when the player researches it, the player automatically wins (This tech basically assumes that the player would like to strategically nuke all the players (as they have the tech to do it)). This could encourage scientific advancement and espionage/tech stealing (assuming this will be in the 'gamemode').

When you're implementing the target camera, can you consider the settings for the camera i suggested?

I'm sorry for bringing up something that may have been resolved though.

What is the facination with nukes? I don't get it. First off the physics range would have to be set almost 10 times what the current setting is for you to use them to any affect without destroying your own craft. And secondly only ONE nation in history has ever used them, and they only used two and they are 1/100 the power of a modern nuclear warhead.

What is the facination with nukes? I don't get it. First off the physics range would have to be set almost 10 times what the current setting is for you to use them to any affect without destroying your own craft. And secondly only ONE nation in history has ever used them, and they only used two and they are 1/100 the power of a modern nuclear warhead.

Because people like to pretend they are the harbinger of doom, the one with the last laugh. Besides, who said they had to act like real nukes? Just make a giant colossus bomb, make it have big boom, and have pretty clouds.hardest thing would be making th mushroom cloud for bahamutod, and I only say that because he obviously has the skill and the talent to make a big darn bomb, all we need is that after it blows up it looks cool!