[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Ok, so I was making the scenarios that I promised, and ran into a very bad issue, part count.

When placing down anything more than two turrets, the game starts to feel it, and if you are using FAR this can cause some bad lag.

Some framerate drops would be fine, the problem is that oscilating framerate messes up with your reflexes, and precise evasive maneuvering gets painful.

I optimized the props a lot, even got a medium AA truck with 16 parts and 8 sidewinders, and will try to optimize them some more, but my first idea seems unfeasible without using the welding mod.

Anything simpler than that can be easily done, which makes a dedicated scenario pointless.

A solution I am thinking of is having targets further away from each other, so the major challenge will be ammo management.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

I think you should do both. Perhaps even some boats and such even?

This is quite precisely what i meant, although using IR code to make the gun point at the mouse is also a feasible idea. But really, the reason i'm trying to do this is because the current tank turret is huge, i suggest a smaller turret, maybe even the T-34-85. No rush though, hopefully you had a good vacation. I wish i could make my own turrets but i'm not really completely grasping blender and my C# knowledge is limited to making petty loops, conditions and Console.WriteLine("HelloWorld");. Any idea where to start?

If you want to make custom guns (which in this case includes turrets), you don't need any C# knowledge. What you need is 3d modeling abilities and knowledge on how to use Unity for KSP part creation.

Also, your C# knowledge is technically enough to create custom plugins, you should have a look at the KSP-Api though, as it contains everything you need to make your plugin interact with the game.

First, you should acquire knowledge about making custom parts. That's easy, just copy one of the guns and mess with the values a little, edit the texture and maybe copy a module from another part.

Then, you should have a look at Blender or another 3d software. For that, I recommend looking at this tutorial: http://www.raywenderlich.com/49955/blender-tutorial-for-beginners-how-to-make-a-mushroom From that you should learn how to make simple models.

Now, it gets a little more complicated. You now need Unity 4 (or 5, if PartTools is updated) and the KSP Part Tools. A little google should get you those things. In Unity, you make some KSP part project and import the PartTools package (or unzip it in the Assets folder). When that's done, import your blender model into Unity and attach a PartTools component to it. Set up a simple collider for your part, specify the filepath in the PartTools component and assign a texture with a KSP shader. Then export the mu file and you'll find it at the specified filepath. At a part.cfg, position the attachment nodes and configure the part the way you want it. When that's done, you should be good to go. Start KSP and admire the beauty of the part you just created.

Now, the hard part: Making a custom turret

To make a custom turret, you need a gun model and a turret model.

Make those or, for testing purposes, use a cube and a cylinder in your Unity scene.

Add a GameObject, add a PartTools component to it.

Add a GameObject, call it aimRotate and make it a child of the GameObject.

Add the turret and make it a child of aimRotate.

Add a GameObject, call it aimPitch and make it a child of the turret.

Position aimPitch at the front of the turret.

Add the barrel and make it a child of aimPitch.

Position the barrel in a way, that aimPitch is at the end of it.

Add two GameObjects, call them fireTransform and muzzleTransform and make them children of the barrel.

Position fireTransform and muzzleTransform at the tip of the barrel.

Rotate fireTransform towards the Z axis.

Add a KSP Particle Emitter component to both fireTransform and muzzleTransform.

Import the whole thing into KSP.

Create a part.cfg file and add a BahaTurret module (just copy it from the BDA howitzer and adjust the values).

Start KSP and hope the part works.

Notice: If something doesn't work, it's likely your fault (or I didn't explain well enough), except if you really tried the turret thing, haven't figure that one out completely yet. Anyhow, feel free to reply if you have any questions.

Ok, so I was making the scenarios that I promised, and ran into a very bad issue, part count.

When placing down anything more than two turrets, the game starts to feel it, and if you are using FAR this can cause some bad lag.

Some framerate drops would be fine, the problem is that oscilating framerate messes up with your reflexes, and precise evasive maneuvering gets painful.

I optimized the props a lot, even got a medium AA truck with 16 parts and 8 sidewinders, and will try to optimize them some more, but my first idea seems unfeasible without using the welding mod.

Anything simpler than that can be easily done, which makes a dedicated scenario pointless.

A solution I am thinking of is having targets further away from each other, so the major challenge will be ammo management.

Do you think this would be a good idea?

If you've got down to 16 parts with 8 missiles and a weapon manager I'm not sure welding will help, it'll still be 10 (probecore+structure welded + missiles + manager?). How many ships are in the scene? You could have a number of small clusters separated by some distance, that would allow setting a lower physics range if it ran badly.

If you've got down to 16 parts with 8 missiles and a weapon manager I'm not sure welding will help, it'll still be 10 (probecore+structure welded + missiles + manager?). How many ships are in the scene? You could have a number of small clusters separated by some distance, that would allow setting a lower physics range if it ran badly.

Yes, that is what I am considering right now, having fewer spread out "mini bases".

And I guess I missphrased it, 16 parts + 8 missiles, using welding it goes down to 4 wheels + Body + 8 missiles, so 5 + 8 parts. (body incs manager and probe and everything that does not eject or move, welding is cool)

I may also use one pylon for 2 missiles, so that would be 17 parts with welding, and 28 parts without.

I don't want someone to be able to win by spamming the fire button nor by evading a few shots until the target runs out of ammo, at least not that easily.

So, yeah, let's turn this into a group project, this would actually be good as it would take a while for me to finish if alone due to several other projects I am into right now.

Please give your feedback on what you think about it, such as base placement, enemies, anything.

It would be really great if you could also send me one or another craft via PM that could be used on it, I can optimize part count myself if needed.

PM me if your idea/suggestion is too big to avoid clustering this thread with it.

I don't think this is worth to create a topic dedicated to this, as for me "it's done when it's done" right now, but if you want to get into it I can give you all of my props so you can save time.

Yes, that is what I am considering right now, having fewer spread out "mini bases".

And I guess I missphrased it, 16 parts + 8 missiles, using welding it goes down to 4 wheels + Body + 8 missiles, so 5 + 8 parts. (body incs manager and probe and everything that does not eject or move, welding is cool)

I may also use one pylon for 2 missiles, so that would be 17 parts with welding, and 28 parts without.

I don't want someone to be able to win by spamming the fire button nor by evading a few shots until the target runs out of ammo, at least not that easily.

So, yeah, let's turn this into a group project, this would actually be good as it would take a while for me to finish if alone due to several other projects I am into right now.

Please give your feedback on what you think about it, such as base placement, enemies, anything.

It would be really great if you could also send me one or another craft via PM that could be used on it, I can optimize part count myself if needed.

PM me if your idea/suggestion is too big to avoid clustering this thread with it.

I don't think this is worth to create a topic dedicated to this, as for me "it's done when it's done" right now, but if you want to get into it I can give you all of my props so you can save time.

I'll have to do some testing and get back to you, I was waiting for a similar thing up in the challenges section a while back that was started and wasn't finished. This seems like a good opportunity :)

In what category are the weapon parts found?

Can I see a part list?

Utility (the one with the gears)

Parts are:

-Weapon Manager

-Mk82 Bomb

-Mk82 Bomb with Airbrakes (SnakeEye)

-Cluster Bomb

-Hydra Rocket Pod

-S-KOM Rocket Pod

-M102 Howitzer

-50cal Machine Gun

-GAU-8

-M203 Chain Gun

-M1 Abrams Cannon

-Vulcan Turret

-Hidden Vulcan

-Goalkeeper CIWS

-HE-KV-1 Missile

-RBS-15 Cruise Missile

-AGM-86B Cruise Missile

-Adjustable Missile Rail

-AGM-114 Hellfire Missile

-AGM-65 Maverick Missile

-AIM-120 AMRAAM Missile

-AIM-9 Sidewinder Missile

-Ammo boxes for the guns

That should be all.

Does anyone know how to create a bomb or missile/cruise missile? I have some really neat weapon ideas that I want to give a shot.

Copy the folder "Mk82Bomb" or one of the missiles from the Parts directory in the BDArmory folder in GameData.

Rename the folder to whatever you want to call the new part (in your case a bomb or missile).

Go into the folder and open the part.cfg.

Change the name, so you won't duplicate the part.

Change some other values in the MissileLauncher module so you get a missile which is different from the missile you copied.

You also might edit the texture if you wish.

Could anyone tell me which scripts are there supposed to be on the different parts of the turret? The downloadable example doesn't have them, so they are "missing (mono script)" :/ Baha, you should really update the example package and make a tutorial when you have time.

Could anyone tell me which scripts are there supposed to be on the different parts of the turret? The downloadable example doesn't have them, so they are "missing (mono script)" :/ Baha, you should really update the example package and make a tutorial when you have time.

On the parent GameObject, you need a KSP PartTools component. Both fireTransform and muzzleTransform need KSP ParticleEmitter components. I'm not sure though.

I'm having a problem with the cruise missiles, in that after launching, they will arc in their trajectory but never adjust to actually fly towards the target (despite being launched towards the target to begin with). I feel like the problem is in my distance from said target, ~12km, because when I fire a cruise missile within a range of 5km, they will track and fly towards the target. Beyond that, they either keep flying upwards until they run out of fuel and crash, or they just crash into the ground (when launched at a low angle). And when they are able to hit the target, they never fly at the altitude I've set them at; they only behave similarly to the normal missiles and instead will directly fly at the target without regard to the landscape.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

I'm having a problem with the cruise missiles, in that after launching, they will arc in their trajectory but never adjust to actually fly towards the target (despite being launched towards the target to begin with). I feel like the problem is in my distance from said target, ~12km, because when I fire a cruise missile within a range of 5km, they will track and fly towards the target. Beyond that, they either keep flying upwards until they run out of fuel and crash, or they just crash into the ground (when launched at a low angle). And when they are able to hit the target, they never fly at the altitude I've set them at; they only behave similarly to the normal missiles and instead will directly fly at the target without regard to the landscape.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Sounds like you are launching them from outside of your physics range. Try bumping it up a bit with the Ctrl+B menu.

Alright so small bug report here but I was testing out a design for a mid range Air-To-Ground Attacker and noticed that the non-boosted Cruise Missile CAN be launched from inside a cargo bay even if the doors are shut.

On the parent GameObject, you need a KSP PartTools component. Both fireTransform and muzzleTransform need KSP ParticleEmitter components. I'm not sure though.

Thanks, that's the one I have. My gun doesn't have a reticle and won't fire though. I think it's because I'm missing the deploy animation.

Thanks, that's the one I have. My gun doesn't have a reticle and won't fire though. I think it's because I'm missing the deploy animation.

I've also heard of fireTransform having to point in the Z direction. Mine still doesn't work though.

I found this mod and its capabilities a few days ago and looked into it ,how to use it, how to build with it. But when I tried using it and building with it, it seemed as if I was either missing parts and it was not functioning properly (reticle not showing, missiles targeting but not locking on) and I was wondering if I installed it wrong or if there is a problem with it. I am in the most recent version of the game and have a few other mods but I doubted that they would change anything.

Any help would be very kind, or if anyone is having the same problem. Also this is the first time me using this forum so dont be annoyed at me :D

I found this mod and its capabilities a few days ago and looked into it ,how to use it, how to build with it. But when I tried using it and building with it, it seemed as if I was either missing parts and it was not functioning properly (reticle not showing, missiles targeting but not locking on) and I was wondering if I installed it wrong or if there is a problem with it. I am in the most recent version of the game and have a few other mods but I doubted that they would change anything.

Any help would be very kind, or if anyone is having the same problem. Also this is the first time me using this forum so dont be annoyed at me :D

First off check if you're firing while in physics range of the target with the missiles (default 5km with the mod), if that doesn't work you should check if it's installed correctly.

Sounds like you are launching them from outside of your physics range. Try bumping it up a bit with the Ctrl+B menu.

Although it's ALT+B, I didn't know about that at the time and I'd like to say thank you so much.

Could someone please help me with the damage output of the weapons.

As far as I know how much damage a part can absorb depends on its crash tolerance (correct me if I'm wrong). It seems for something like a 20mm cannon, it can one shot the biggest B9 HX parts (which has crashTolerance = 20). Even with structural panels things explode very quickly under a 30mm cannon . I'm wondering if there is any way that I can tweak the config files to change this aspect? Is there anyway to reduce the damage of weapons on larger parts, so that capital ship battles don't just last half a second?

Thanks guys

Anyone know a way to edit one of the cruise missiles so that they can be piloted by the player AND won't explode on impact? They look perfect for injection probes.

Edit the config to make a version with surface attachment allowed and edit in a control module and a resource module for RCS. Put on some RCS thrusters ingame, make a launch platform and fire a modified rocket. Switch to it after firing and you should be able to control it. No guarantees though.

- - - Updated - - -

Is physics range extended with this mod, or do I have to get another mod to extend it?

Extendable within the mod, just press alt+b to bring up the menu.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as I know how much damage a part can absorb depends on its crash tolerance (correct me if I'm wrong). It seems for something like a 20mm cannon, it can one shot the biggest B9 HX parts (which has crashTolerance = 20). Even with structural panels things explode very quickly under a 30mm cannon . I'm wondering if there is any way that I can tweak the config files to change this aspect? Is there anyway to reduce the damage of weapons on larger parts, so that capital ship battles don't just last half a second?

Thanks guys

In the configs, make the bulletVelocity or cannonShellPower value smaller, depending on the weapon type. Adjust it to your liking.

For everyone wanting to edit the config, refer to this page: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation

Edited by Spooglecraft
Adding info

As far as I know how much damage a part can absorb depends on its crash tolerance (correct me if I'm wrong). It seems for something like a 20mm cannon, it can one shot the biggest B9 HX parts (which has crashTolerance = 20). Even with structural panels things explode very quickly under a 30mm cannon . I'm wondering if there is any way that I can tweak the config files to change this aspect? Is there anyway to reduce the damage of weapons on larger parts, so that capital ship battles don't just last half a second ...

It's not a part's crash tolerance that decides how resistant it is to BDArmory weapons, it's the heat tolerance.

From what i know so far when a part has been hit with a BDArmory bullet or shell, it's heat increases. So increase the heat tolerance of the parts you are using. I know this mainly because when a part is destroyed by a BDArmory weapon. The F3 log reports the destruction as an "overheat"

You should also reduce the power of the guns as Spoogle said. Especially the large cannons. It's really not that fun to see my Tank Destroyers flinging my SuperMegaHeavy Tank Destroyer across the map with their 105mm guns.

If you don't mind the part count. Put appliqué armor with Structural Panels. Use them to protect vital parts of your ships (And by that i mean you don't have to go crazy with them, protect the parts of your ship that is most likely to be hit. This is the fun part of BDArmory IMO) I don't get that your Structural panels are so weak. Structural Panels are VERY STRONG for me, are you using the Structural Panels from B9? They're usually the remnants of my tank when it gets destroyed. If you don't know what appliqué armor means. It's extra armor that you bolt on, like the ERA (Explosive Reactive Armor) blocks on the T-90

In the near future i forsee BDArmory having realistic tank shell and bullet mechanics enough to compete with World of Tanks and War Thunder.

I'm not sure how to change a part's heat tolerance. I'm on a phone ATM.

I'm sorry if i write too much, writing is fun! Especially if it helps people.

Have an excellent day!

Edited by CrayzeeMonkey