[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

@victor tan

1. It matters on both the maneuverability of the craft as well as the settings. No matter how you set it it can't make a brick dodge a sidewinder. I've done tests with my super-maneuverable fighter and it can effectively fight as well as evade all but the closest of missile fire. It took a lot of tweaking (6-8 flights) to find settings so that the AI could maneuver, but wouldn't end up over-correcting itself into the ground.

2. The selected weapons actually depend on the Weapons Manager Guard, which picks weapons based on distance, and effective range (for guns, it chooses the gun with the most turning range). It won't really use the guns until close range, but will likely choose close range missiles over a static vulcan.

3. Can't properly answer this what with me not being Baha.

@Temeter I tend to get use out of both. The AMRAAM is a good initiator, making the enemy slow down/ blast away all the flares, giving you a chance to deal in a good hit. The AMRAAM also is not intended for close combat of any means beyond a last ditch spam against a cruiser.

Thanks for the reply.What matters most is my first question.

I understand that each aircraft design has its own 'perfect' setting but would you mind sharing your AI settings? or give an extensive explanation or tutorial of the parameters.My aircrafts are quite maneuverable on their own.I find it surprising for a lack of a proper AI tutorial on youtube since its pretty confusing on its own.

Thanks for the reply.What matters most is my first question.

I understand that each aircraft design has its own 'perfect' setting but would you mind sharing your AI settings? or give an extensive explanation or tutorial of the parameters.My aircrafts are quite maneuverable on their own.I find it surprising for a lack of a proper AI tutorial on youtube since its pretty confusing on its own.

Honestly I think Baha needs to include a readme file or something telling us what everything does, this way everyone would be on the same page about how it works and it would reduce the resurface of a question every 10 pages.

Anywho I can give a rough idea based on my rough idea of the AI.

Default Altitude: When active with no detected enemies, the AI will orbit a point at this altitude for CAP (Combat Air Patrol). This doesn't appear to be max height.

Min Altitude: The minimum altitude the AI will be comfortable with. 300m clearance from the terrain altitude seems to be pretty good in most cases (exception being steep high velocity dives). If the AI goes below it prioritizes climbing.

Steer factor: No real idea of what this does. I do believe it is influenced by Steer Limiter, but I'm not entirely sure how. My leading theory is that it influences maneuvers somehow. However once again my understanding of this one is vague.

Steer Limiter: How much it will steer based on percentage. Only really necessary to lower it from 1 if the craft in question is nigh impossible to control without fine control on.

Steer Damping: Determines when the AI will ease up on controls for maneuvers. Necessary to keep it from over-correcting into the dirt. However if its too high the AI won't use the craft to its full ability. Generally best to put this at 5 for early tests with super-maneuverables.

Max Speed: Max speed the AI will go at, if it exceeds this speed it cuts throttle. Keep 15-30m/s lower than the speed that either the wings tear off when steering, or when the craft loses significant steering ability.

Also, a new question : Why are the AI guards not firing the guns? I tried initiating a dogfight with two crafts with AI Pilots that only had a hidden vulcan and they didn't use it.

They need to be on opposing teams and need 20mm ammo for the vulcans. If it isn't either of those then set the detection of the guard to 5km with a radius of 360. If the problem still persists then try launching Team B's planes set to Team B in the editor.

Auto-target function of Weapon Manager does not work if the part is inside a cargobay.

Dunno if already said somewhere but I could not find it, maybe it will help someone else

Well, the drag is already calculated correct? I would think you could just use some rudimentary formula that factors the drag and determines an overall percentage chance, vs different chance for each angle, that the missile will fail to lock on.

Maybe a radar part could be implemented

Maybe a radar part could be implemented

I asked Baha that some time ago, and in his own words "I may differentiate between radar and IR later but I'm trying to keep it fairly simple until I find a gameplay reason for changing it. As I mentioned in a post, if its possible to generate structured missions, I might add these extra things for balance."

I asked Baha that some time ago, and in his own words "I may differentiate between radar and IR later but I'm trying to keep it fairly simple until I find a gameplay reason for changing it. As I mentioned in a post, if its possible to generate structured missions, I might add these extra things for balance."

I was about to ask :D

I personally think, it would make things bit more balanced, when talking about surface-air and air-surface actions. Here are my few ideas:

- Add new radar parts varying in range and size.

- For guard mode to work you need either a kerbal onboard or a radar (or some kind of IR sensor?)and a probr core.

- Radars won't work very well against low flying or ground vehicles (Ground targets are too easy to kill for guards)

- Kerbals would be less accurate than radars (may depend on skill of a kerbal?), but would be able to take down tanks and ground based vessels

- Maybe a piece of code, that would figure out how would it be targeted by a radar basing on it's shape (maybe you can borrow something from Ferram).

- Radar would target aircrafts with big cross-section or active radars onboard.

- IR stuff would target overheating parts and engines (easier to target when shooting from behind)

- And no more "double-click" targetting from stock KSP for missiles.

Maybe it's too much, but you can use at least some of those

Idea, when you do the turret code re-write could you make a part like the Infernal Robotics docking washer, but have it able to be configured to act like part of a turret? ( i.e assign it to a weapon, then set whether it's yaw/pitch and whether its reversed or not)

So if i made a KV-2 turret on top of one then put a howitzer with the yaw range set to zero, i could use the whole thing as the turret as well as have the guard use it?

- - - Updated - - -

Just tested this and it seems to work correctly in 1.0.3, however, the bomb guidance seems to be a bit hit and miss (pun intended) with the modified drag.

I believe it's been that way for a while.

hey is there any way to use ripple functionality? i have the rpm of my 23missile rocket pods set to 1440 or something similiar, yet i cant hold down the 2 button to fire, which is my action key for the weapon manager to fire. is there a trick or something to use ripple fire?

Hey BahamutoD, we've been wanting to attach turrets to turrets, but what about modular turret parts (static guns and some rotors). The rotors get linked to a gun and then they attempt to move to face the gun at the target.