[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Heyy, I actually got night vision working!

In case you're interested, before each time the TGP camera renders, it sets the global ambient light to the full brightness, then it renders the image, and returns it to the original brightness so its normal for the regular flight camera.

http://i.imgur.com/BSHpA1C.png

That is awesome. But one question.

Will this only work with the AGM missiles or will it work with any of the missiles.

I hope it will only work with the AGM missiles as that would fit in the realm of reality. Perhaps later we can port the idea over to bombs, like the mod off of your mod that has the JDAMs.

If it's not a lot of trouble, can you point out which part of the output log gave you that information and how you could tell? I'd like to start learning a bit about this kind of thing.

Glad I could be of help. Honestly it was all the thermallink, occlusion and contract exceptions that led me to conclude that you had more than one mod installed, and that there was a conflict between them. I couldn't tell you anything more specific than that, but it's enough to realize that the quick and dirty solution to that issue is to identify the mod causing the problems and how to isolate it, so you can get BDA working and the modders can figure out what the conflict is and possibly fix it down the road.

I hope it will only work with the AGM missiles as that would fit in the realm of reality.

FLIR is standard with LD targeting pods and works with both LG and TVG weaponry, so saying it would only work with TVG AGMs is a misconception of how targeting systems actually work. In fact FLIR will also slave to radar for target ID as part of a VAS.

Edited by Scoundrel

That is awesome. But one question.

Will this only work with the AGM missiles or will it work with any of the missiles.

I hope it will only work with the AGM missiles as that would fit in the realm of reality. Perhaps later we can port the idea over to bombs, like the mod off of your mod that has the JDAMs.

It'll only work for Laser and GPS guided munitions.

Edit: oh and turrets

Edited by BahamutoD

Looks sweet. Do explosions bloom on camera or do they look like grey explosions? Also the scan lines are a nice touch... are you going to limit the resolution on the camera to fit?

It'll only work for Laser and GPS guided munitions.

Edit: oh and turrets

Curious how GPS guided munitions will work. I've tried to edit CFGs to give free fall bombs guidance but I could never get the thrust to work out so it could guide but not end up going super-sonic or other such nonsense.

That hasn't been the issue really. The problem has been the thrust values either being nonexistent, or way too powerful

Are you launching it from a moving aircraft?

Of course it won't guide to a target if it doesn't have any speed provided to it.

It might be optimum air speed?

Try lowering that.

Are you launching it from a moving aircraft?

Of course it won't guide to a target if it doesn't have any speed provided to it.

Of course launching from a moving target. But the problem is that when I try to edit thrust values, it doesn't guide because it goes ballistic and falls into the ground early, or overshoots the target doing 500m/s+. Maybe I just have too rough adjustments to the CFGs

Of course launching from a moving target. But the problem is that when I try to edit thrust values, it doesn't guide because it goes ballistic and falls into the ground early, or overshoots the target doing 500m/s+. Maybe I just have too rough adjustments to the CFGs

try replacing the module with this: http://pastebin.com/yiWfacg9

Don't worry about it for now. There will be major changes and I'm probably going to do specific code for guided bombs anyway.

after the update we will still being able to fire laser and gps guided missiles just by setting a target and firing or we will need the targeting pod?

Read:

However, there will be an option in the settings to allow the currently used vessel targeting.

But the problem is that when I try to edit thrust values, it doesn't guide because it goes ballistic and falls into the ground early, or overshoots the target doing 500m/s+. Maybe I just have too rough adjustments to the CFGs

Generally speaking, bombs shouldn't have thrust values (I get why you would add them though, as I suspect that's the only way for it to adjust its course); it should have steerable fins to adjust its trajectory so it lands on target (the CEP for JDAMs is about 7m). Ideally it should operate by having the coordinates of the target designated then the munition is released where it flies to that point; like all guided ballistic ordnance as long as you give it enough energy (JDAMs are great for lofting) it should make it to target just fine. I'd take a quick peek at the config and see what the drag modelling is for that baby and go from there. If it doesn't have any control surfaces, then those need to be added to the munition so it'll adjust its course.

As a thought, you could give it a gimbal rate of about 5-7 (I don't know what the current gimbal rate you've been using for your JDAM) and adjust the thrust and fuel to about 1/10th TWR but give it a burn time of about 30s and set the ISP to 4000 or something so the fuel weight is minimal, which would give a decent enough approximation until someone corrects the model - the fins on the tail section are supposed to be all moving. Perhaps that's a limitation of KSP?

^ BDArmory 'missiles' use an internal aerodynamics "model", independent of stock aero or FAR. The current dumb bombs use a "simple drag" model that has only drag and no lift or controls. You'd have to set up the aerodynamic values in the MissileLauncher module as seen in the missiles. No need to add control surfaces.

I haven't made JDAMs yet because I wanted to do the GPS thing first, but it should work. For example, the AGM-65's glide for quite a distance to their target long after thrust has cut off.

Edited by BahamutoD

^ BDArmory 'missiles' use an internal aerodynamics "model", independent of stock aero or FAR.

Okay, that makes sense from an ease of maintenance point of view - and also because it allows your mod to (hopefully) function fine in either aero model rather than having to pick one and letting it work only with that one. Does this mean that they don't produce drag in the stock aero while they're carried? What about GBUs?

No need to add control surfaces.

What!?! But I spent all that time on my first missile... ;.;

GxQSmIo.jpg

LOSRRsC.jpg

That's the steering fins deflecting to 30°. It's also probably too many polys - just shy of 4000. Modelling is hard.

And yeah, I haven't learned to texture yet because I suck.

I haven't made JDAMs yet because I wanted to do the GPS thing first, but it should work.

Do you plan to make them compatible with the Figaro GNSS mod?

Hey Baha, love the way the targeting pod looks like, but perhaps you can add some 'random' text to make it look more 'awesome'? Kinda like this

hqdefault.jpg

Also cool would be if that camera view also showed what weapon is loaded and how many of those are left (or incase of the turrets, how much ammo). Perheaps even a 'OVRHT' warning when the selected turrets overheat

In case you're interested, before each time the TGP camera renders, it sets the global ambient light to the full brightness, then it renders the image, and returns it to the original brightness so its normal for the regular flight camera.

http://i.imgur.com/BSHpA1C.png

What I like the most is the diamond reticle at the target.

But yeah, everything is looking amazing.

As as a suggestion, can you make it so that the GUI follows the KSP color pattern?

That would make it feel more like it belongs to the game, just like the FAR GUIs.

@bartekkru99: but it is already, from what we can see.

Night vision and the targeting pod looks nice! Do you think we could get a targeting pod nosecone piece for our helicopters? Something like the AH-64 Apache has? It would be nice piece if you have the time.

Apache_4.JPG

Edited by Nickvr628

What I like the most is the diamond reticle at the target.

But yeah, everything is looking amazing.

As as a suggestion, can you make it so that the GUI follows the KSP color pattern?

That would make it feel more like it belongs to the game, just like the FAR GUIs.

@bartekkru99: but it is already, from what we can see.

I didn't notice...

Baha, can you make night vision view a bit blurry for extra taste?

Is this compatible with KSP 1.0.4?

Yes it is compatible with 1.0.4 I and many others are running it without a problem there.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to have an issue where certain files can't be read - thus, I cannot download it. This needs fixing.

Post your output.log or post a pic of the problem please.