[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

With heat seeking at a point where all that's left is tweaking, a bit if HUD work, and making sure AI doesn't fire without a lock, I've began work on radars. So far I've got the two types of scanning done.

One is 360degree rotating radar for ground based detection radars or AWACs.

The other is a forward facing radar that sweeps over a certain field of view, like on fighters.

Here it is so far: (no models or locking yet)

That is cool.

I can't wait to pilot some fighters from IVA using BDA.

So, what are you using for scanning? Or for now it just detects everything in range?

One minor request on what looks to be an outstanding addition to the plugin.

For the radar display can you put a color or icon for it being higher, lower or same alt as the tracking radar. I know a modern radar on like the F-15C Eagle and F-16 will show the altitude of the target right next to it on the screen, in 1kft.

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/quora/files/2013/07/main-qimg-a566c906180e37e2eb5e1d948cd2239e1

http://www.gizmodo.in/photo/44777588.cms

You can see in this picture the radar is in FCR mode, with 3 possible hostile targets on it. 1 of which is locked, and is at 13kft moving roughly towards the firing aircraft.

Good idea, I'll give it a shot.

That is cool.

I can't wait to pilot some fighters from IVA using BDA.

So, what are you using for scanning? Or for now it just detects everything in range?

For now, I'm getting a base signature rating by adding up the largest dimension of all the renderer bounds on each part,

then modifying that number by certain factors like distance, lookdown angle(for ground clutter), direction of velocity (for notching). I guess now is the time to brainstorm good/better ways of determining the vessel's radar signature.

Oh wow, this mod is getting better and better!

We REALY do need a AWACS dish that only scans in a downwards hemisphere, and marks the contacts for friendly vehicles (like the IR and laser lock marks a target).

Also, can a TGP be set to autotarget anything in range and detected by local/friendly radar?

Playstation 2 breaks

Oh noes

Try not to cry

Oh noes, I use a emulator.

Edited by Anister

Wow. That was amazing.

Will the fighter radar have markers for when the target is within heat seeking FOV? I know the sound tells you, but it would be cool to have a marker on the radar.

I think you should be able to (automatically) slave the IR seeker to your radar locked target (it does in DCS) so that won't be necessary.

Out of curiosity, does the development of radar mean that we'll be able to make SAM launchers separate from the radar vehicles themselves? Also, Wild Weaseling here I come!

That's the plan!

So i slapped a reactor in my very YF23ish jet to power energy weapons and such but the laser turret we have right now isn't really rated for clipping or going mach 4 on a lovely day, it would be nice if we could have some new more aerodynamic energy weapons! something like this or this that would fit a lot more then the ABL we got now on small aircraft... and also because bebop

oh ya i almost forgot! missiles don't seem to like being fired of off b9 wings going very fast a whole lot. They tend to just explode as soon as fired for no reason, maybe an option for the missile to maneuver away from the aircraft before firing its motor? Or change the time to set distance?

Edited by senoiurkabls

Radar looks awesome!!

Btw, I'm sure this was asked before - so there are turrets. There's Bahamuto's searchlight as well. So pointing a vector at a mouse location shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Then there are cameras. Is it possible to mount a camera in a same manner as a cannon or a searchlight, and then control its direction with mouse? Same spot will be targeted by guns, which makes.. a scope! Even mousewheel magnification and a reticle overlay should not be too hard to do, unless there are specific conflicts in attaching a camera to a turret. So maybe this was done already?

Hey BD! Its the guy that's trying to bridge the gap between RPM and Armory. I scribbled down some ideas and then upon looking through the RPM folders I found a config that lets the Hullcam cameras work as RPM cameras. I was wondering how you made the TGP capture the image, and if it is possible to to do the same thing(to some extent).

As for Radar - I'm thinking a devoted "prop" in the style of the Eagle, and a whole separate MFD page in the style of Russian radar display.

Edited by zacharii

So i slapped a reactor in my very YF23ish jet to power energy weapons and such but the laser turret we have right now isn't really rated for clipping or going mach 4 on a lovely day, it would be nice if we could have some new more aerodynamic energy weapons! something like this or this that would fit a lot more then the ABL we got now on small aircraft... and also because bebop

oh ya i almost forgot! missiles don't seem to like being fired of off b9 wings going very fast a whole lot. They tend to just explode as soon as fired for no reason, maybe an option for the missile to maneuver away from the aircraft before firing its motor? Or change the time to set distance?

Not doing scifi weapons yet.

The instant exploding thing should be fixed in the next update.

Radar looks awesome!!

Btw, I'm sure this was asked before - so there are turrets. There's Bahamuto's searchlight as well. So pointing a vector at a mouse location shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Then there are cameras. Is it possible to mount a camera in a same manner as a cannon or a searchlight, and then control its direction with mouse? Same spot will be targeted by guns, which makes.. a scope! Even mousewheel magnification and a reticle overlay should not be too hard to do, unless there are specific conflicts in attaching a camera to a turret. So maybe this was done already?

You'll be able to use the new targeting pod in that way. Not sure if I want to make it mouse controllable though. We'll see.

Any plans on improving the space missile so that we can have automated SAM's in space that will actually hit?

No plans for now.

Hey BD! Its the guy that's trying to bridge the gap between RPM and Armory. I scribbled down some ideas and then upon looking through the RPM folders I found a config that lets the Hullcam cameras work as RPM cameras. I was wondering how you made the TGP capture the image, and if it is possible to to do the same thing(to some extent).

As for Radar - I'm thinking a devoted "prop" in the style of the Eagle, and a whole separate MFD page in the style of Russian radar display.

For the TGP, I duplicated the flight cameras, parented them to the pod's 'camera' transform and have them render to a render texture, which is displayed on the GUI window. It's a 'singleton' camera and render texture that is shared among all vessels and TGPs - the camera just jumps to which ever TGP is currently being displayed on the GUI. Only one video feed can be displayed at a time even if you have multiple TGP's/lasers active. I'm not sure what I'd need to do to make it compatible with RPM though. If you want, I could push the current source code onto git and you could take a look at it.

Okay, I did radar target locking. The first clip just shows keeping a lock all the way until impact, second clip shows breaking lock before the missile's internal radar goes active, and the third clip shows breaking lock after the missile has gone active.

I think I'll add a button for boresight radar locking too - it would behave similar to the heat seeker locking.

Edited by BahamutoD

If you want, I could push the current source code onto git and you could take a look at it.

That would be awesome if you could.

I think just having a page on the MFD's that reads the camera(that reads the render mesh and so on) should be quite a task on its own.

- I'm thinking of using the already made grid splash screen in RPM for a radar backdrop

The weird thing about editing the pages is that it turns into HTML or something similar when it displays text, but this isn't the dev thread so I wont complain too much.

Edited by zacharii

OH GOD YES! And how about an ADMM? :-)

(Kidding with the ADMM)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with radar, will you be able to launch missiles at multiple targets at the same time? Like, lock on to 2 targets and fire missiles at both, at the same time.

OH GOD YES! And how about an ADMM? :-)

(Kidding with the ADMM)

Aw, i want one, but its hard to do with bd parts and would be way too op xD

- - - Updated - - -

and ability to fire missiles at multiple targets would be pretty cool, like most arcade aircraft games

That would be awesome if you could. I think just having a page on the MFD's that reads the camera(that reads the render mesh and so on) should be quite a task on its own.

- I'm thinking of using the already made grid splash screen in RPM for a radar backdrop

Okay, the git is updated now.

Turns out there's 7,320 additions already.

Edit: The classes you're looking for are ModuleTargetingCamera (the part module) and TargetingCamera (the singleton camera manager).

I think I'll add a button for boresight radar locking too - it would behave similar to the heat seeker locking.

Looks good, simple yet, accurate. I like it.... I like it a lot!

Is there a way to make your Turreted guns automatically track the current target, so you can just tell them when to shoot, rather then trying to mouse aim while trying to fly at the same time, 'other' then guard mode, since that will potentially fire your missiles as well?

I guess now is the time to brainstorm good/better ways of determining the vessel's radar signature.

I have some ideas about what could be done.

I just need to see how viable and feasible they are, as I don't mod ksp yet.

FAR voxelization would be very welcome but FAR cannot become a requirement for using this mod.

Are you often on any IRC channel so that we can discuss?

I have some questions about radar.

1. Is Radar sig strength affected by RCS(Radar Cross Section)?

2. Do you have a plan for adding some Electronic Warfare parts like Anti-Radiation Missile or RWR?

FAR voxelization would be very welcome but FAR cannot become a requirement for using this mod.

How about a steam group we can chat on? I have a few ideas about radar. Is it possible to find the poly amount on a craft, and then feed that into the radar detection code? So larger aircraft have a larger radar cross section. That way the detection would be based on size, not part count.

What is the best way of building a ground based ASAT?

I think some sort of booster stage armed with a few HEKVs would be best. The HEKVs by themselves haven't got the range to reach an orbital craft.

Also, with radar, will you be able to launch missiles at multiple targets at the same time? Like, lock on to 2 targets and fire missiles at both, at the same time.

Maybe. Probably?

Is there a way to make your Turreted guns automatically track the current target, so you can just tell them when to shoot, rather then trying to mouse aim while trying to fly at the same time, 'other' then guard mode, since that will potentially fire your missiles as well?

You'll be able to do that with the targeting pod, and probably radar locks.

I'm usually on #kspmodders.

I have some questions about radar.

1. Is Radar sig strength affected by RCS(Radar Cross Section)?

2. Do you have a plan for adding some Electronic Warfare parts like Anti-Radiation Missile or RWR?

1. That's what we're trying to do - figure out an efficient way of determining a craft's RCS.

2. Yes to both

How about a steam group we can chat on? I have a few ideas about radar. Is it possible to find the poly amount on a craft, and then feed that into the radar detection code? So larger aircraft have a larger radar cross section. That way the detection would be based on size, not part count.

I wouldn't mind a steam group. The way it's set up now, size does matter, it basically adds up the maximum dimension of each model on each part, though that kinda sucks. Using poly amount wouldn't be great though because that would mean a small sphere would have a larger cross section than a huge cube.