[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

This might be a dumb question, but is there a way to use the github files to use the parts early? Could I apply the targeting pod module code to an item (say, the spotlight) and have it function properly?

Just some questions:

Will the new turrets be able to shoot missiles?

So it would be possible to create a RAM launcher for example, or the Patriot system etc.?

And will the targeting pod be able to track radar targets?

Will you do tracking radars like the STIR for target illumination, since turning ADT's can't really track or illuminate a target.

which leads me to the last question: phased array radars. Probably the easyiest thing to do since they won't have to be animated, just a panel which covers a direction and(in newer systems like the SPY-1 or the APAR) can track and illuminate targets, but isn't so good in finding at first.

Edited by Themorris

Just some questions:

Will the new turrets be able to shoot missiles?

So it would be possible to create a RAM launcher for example, or the Patriot system etc.?

And will the targeting Pod be able to track radar targets?

Will you do tracking radars like the STIR for target illumination, since turning ADT's can't really track or illuminate a target.

which leads me to the last question: phased array radars. Probably the easyiest thing to do since they won't have to be animated, just a panel which covers a direction and(in newer systems like the SPY-1 or the APAR) can track and illuminate targets, but isn't so good in finding at first.

As far as I know, the Patriot system doesn't rotate. Its just a boxload of missiles on the back of a trailer hooked up to a radar dish (gross oversimplification I know), but it engages it's targets from enough range that the azimuth doesn't matter, because the missile has enough time to correct it's course. You just set it up in generally the right direction and let it sit.

yes, but it's still some kind of turret

http://cdn4.spiegel.de/images/image-427007-galleryV9-wxwa.jpg

it would be more important for the RAM because of it's heat-seaking field of view, which has to be turned into the direction of an incoming missile

and it turn's damn quick

Well yeah, the RAM is on the Phalanx chassis. Also, that would be awesome

^

That would fall under the realm of Infernal Robotics technology, which is out of the scope of this update.

This might be a dumb question, but is there a way to use the github files to use the parts early? Could I apply the targeting pod module code to an item (say, the spotlight) and have it function properly?

Well, it uses a specific unity setup to get the model to rotate properly, but.. it might work.

Turrets and missiles wont work without a config update though.

Edited by BahamutoD

^

That would fall under the realm of Infernal Robotics technology, which is out of the scope of this update.

Curious, is there a possibility we'll see systems needing IR style coding like the RAM, or the SA-8 Gecko turret, etc.. Pre-packed SAM launchers?

Curious, is there a possibility we'll see systems needing IR style coding like the RAM, or the SA-8 Gecko turret, etc.. Pre-packed SAM launchers?

I asked this earlier....like a prepacked SAM, like a Hydra pod but with guided missiles? Is that what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and just last week I saw an SA-8 driving down I-565.

The Russians are coming!

I asked this earlier....like a prepacked SAM, like a Hydra pod but with guided missiles? Is that what you mean?

Exactly. Most SAM systems these days are packed 1-4 at t time in tubes. The old rail loaded SA-2s of Vietnam are no more, and making these would drastically reduce part count of SAM vehicles, as well as remove the issues with missiles hitting their launchers before they go anywhere.

Does this work for 1.0.4? or will i have to wait?

- - - Updated - - -

I know whatever comes out will be awesome

I Hope so... and it looks like it! Also what's your favourite article, mine's either the on in my signature or the one if you collocated every chemical in the periodic table. Or the steak one.. or...or... (ends up listing all of them)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and just last week I saw an SA-8 driving down I-565.

The Russians are coming!

Arrrr RUN!

:D

Does this work for 1.0.4? or will i have to wait?

- - - Updated - - -

I Hope so... and it looks like it! Also what's your favourite article, mine's either the on in my signature or the one if you collocated every chemical in the periodic table. Or the steak one.. or...or... (ends up listing all of them)

I just asked Mr. Owl he said 3 ;)

yes it does work just fine

:D

Hmmmm, not exactly the place for this, but I really like the bullet as dense as a neutron star. PM me and we can chat about xkcd stuff

Since Baha is not really going for total realism, calculating RCS could be easily emulated with a bounding box around the target based on its dimensions. As the craft changes its orientation, so too does the bounding box. A simple snapshot of the box would reveal the area of the box facing the radar (thus RCS changes with orientation). This allows for various sizes without trying to work out the specific area for each part and complex occlusion calculations for parts clipping, etc., which is one of Ferram's peeves.

How does detection work? The radar simply has a minimum area required for detection at a certain range. Big planes have big boxes, which have large area, which makes easy long range radar detection. Small planes have smaller boxes, which means they aren't detected until closer. Surface targets can now also be tracked by radar if Baha wants to add an air to surface mode to the radar.

Is the box solution accurate to real life? Obviously not. But since the shape of planes is reasonably uniform in terms of area/negative space ratio between all aircraft, and all we really want to do is simulate bigger aircraft having higher RCS than smaller ones, then all we need is a system that says "big airplane is bigger than small airplane", which this does without requiring lots of computer performance or complex programming.

EDIT:

Heh, that smoke looks pretty cool, though IRL smoke (and so-called anti-laser aerosols) doesn't occlude complex designating lasers as they work on variable wavelengths so rain/cloud cover doesn't make them useless - smoke is used to obscure the FLIR so the LD doesn't know where to point... which pilots usually ignore and sparkle the ground near it for munitions to target. They do work on man-portable LG AT missile sets though.

Edited by Scoundrel

Here's a short clip of smoke countermeasures. They also cause laser guided missiles to veer off target if the laser point is occluded.

Can we stay on topic, guys?

Is that how the countermeasures on an M1 Abrams work? Honestly I've never seen them deploy I always thought they where just flare launchers.

(sorry)