[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Don't filter JUST yet, many ideas are coming into my head for custom-chaff...

For instance, have a payload bay with a large amount of small cubic probe cores, and just release twelve or thirteen of them whenever you come near the enemy base as to confuse the radar...

I heard a while back that there was a way to make a high velocity shotgun by attaching crap-loads of struts to something and then destroying that object, causing the struts to obey the inertia law and create a massive amount of "pellets" travelling at 400m/s or more, obliterating everything in their path. I really hope they did not fix that.

If so I could make EPIC chaff with that :P

Although my PC would strangle me if I tried it......

Hey fellas,

So I tried something a little crazy just for kicks and it worked out a lot better than I ever thought it would:

BPuuDNA.png

So now I have what could technically be called a fighter aircraft that weighs in at just over 110 tons.

Fun as this thing is to use, the quartet of airbursting autocannons is surprisingly ineffective against incoming missiles. I mean, I've definitely seen more than one PAC-3 blow right through clouds of airbursts. Why does this flak seem to be so ineffective against missiles?

Edited by CursoryRaptor15
Grammar correction.

Hey BD. We're putting together a 2v2 AI dogfighting challenge and in testing the 5km view range is pretty limiting. Fighters are almost within gun range at 5km. While it's manually editable in the craft file, please consider increasing the slider bar to 10 or 15km range, if possible. That'd make missiles, and especially AMRAAM's more viable.

*edit*--oops, just discovered the physics settings menu! Looks like that'll do the trick!

Edited by keptin

Hello everyone!

Excuse me, if it's not suitable for this thread, but I think this is the only place where there might be people in the know. The problem is that the seats don't move with the turret. Is there way to make them move or not?

xn9nyeD.pngfe5kEAl.png

Hello everyone!

Excuse me, if it's not suitable for this thread, but I think this is the only place where there might be people in the know. The problem is that the seats don't move with the turret. Is there way to make them move or not?

http://i.imgur.com/xn9nyeD.png http://i.imgur.com/fe5kEAl.png

Those are external seats I assume? Unless the turret allows it, the seats wont move. I'm no modder, but im pretty sure it needs colliders so the seats stick and Infernal Robotics stuff so the seats move

Sotty if it was asked, but is there any MER or TER model around? Ot ar least some parts it can be made of without looking too different?

m117mk82.jpg

Also, the missile rails provided for the mod are rotated to the side for around 3 dergees. Extremely irritating to position weapons.0

I like the radar showing debris, it looks like a good way to confirm a kill.

"Confirmed hit! Nothing left on radar but debris!"

Also, does the small number near the radar contact indicate the speed?

I like the radar showing debris, it looks like a good way to confirm a kill.

"Confirmed hit! Nothing left on radar but debris!"

Also, does the small number near the radar contact indicate the speed?

I think he mentioned earlier that the numbers are the Radar Cross Section.

Would a Kinetic kill ASAT guidance package/mode be feasible? Tried an ASAT with two HEKV, both missed, one was fired at long-range one was launched with deflection at 5km seperation

i made a suggestion to baha about re-texturing the structural panels and making them basically panels to cover craft in to make it go undetected on radar. but you obviously would need to put a certain amount of panels on it in proportion to craft, what do you guys think?

Those are external seats I assume? Unless the turret allows it, the seats wont move. I'm no modder, but im pretty sure it needs colliders so the seats stick and Infernal Robotics stuff so the seats move

Of course this turret has colliders! And Infernal Robotics is not suitable as this anti-aircraft gun, which needs to rotate smooth and quick.

I asked BD before if he'd be supporting VTOL with the AI. He said no, understandably. I've just spent a fun hour trying to get a helicopter to work and I think, with a few tweakable options, it would be possible. These could be combined with a docking port jr. (control from here) and/or a slightly angled main engine to, I think, make them possible.

1. Yaw control. He turned it off for planes, but VTOLs need it.

2. Pitch and bank limiters. Configurable limits on how far the vehicle will pitch or bank, because helicopters flying at 500m really aren't good at barrel rolls. Default would likely be 45 degrees, but varies depending on TWR and other factors. Set to 0, and it would only turn using yaw and gain speed due to thrust vector (slightly forward, probably). This would also be handy to planes with very limited control authority and TWR.

3. Deleted, rubbish idea, see addendum instead.

Optional:

4. Speed limit. Planes cut throttle, but that's not a good idea with a VTOL. Instead, change pitch. Clarified below.

5. Firespitter interoperability. All the rotors use Firespitter, which has hover control. Min and default altitude could directly influence this (add or lose height until altitude criteria are satisfied) instead of altering pitch.

I hope BD finds this post useful!

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, that took a little thinking - planes control altitude with pitch and speed with throttle. Helicopters swap those around - speed is a function of pitch and throttle controls altitude.

Edited by colmo

Thanks tetryds, it helped.

By the way, anyone managed to make a whole bomb bay of bombs empty without bombs colliding with plane, using FAR? I blew my Crackofortress up so many times while trying to do this. Real planes have advantage of aerodynamic shadow being "calculated", while here bomb starts slowing down immidiately upon release.

zMiBuRB.png

NEJ4s0U.png

Also, Rockeyes (even tho they have a texture of cbu-87) are unstable with FAR, and fly at 60 degrees angle of attack. Maybe all the projectiles should be forced back to stock aerodynamics while in flight?

Edited by sashan

THe problem is that 80% of them are mounted sideways. No other way to put that many of them inside.

This is the weapons bay on one of my fighters, granted not as large as your BUFF, but it follows the same principles.

HcneBEz.jpg

I found if I rotated the weapon racks a bit and increased the decouple speed of the bottom most ones and went with a reduced rate for the upper ones I didnt have much of an issue as long as I wasnt accelerating to fast.

I also could use them to fire missiles out of also.....

RontilD.jpg

Hm, I don't have the problem with bottom ones. Your cargo bay is shallow, but my one is deep, it's 2.5 meters in diameter (tweakscaled Ven's revamp). So the bottom ones fall out normally, but the ones hear the top always result in the plane falling down in pieces and crew bailing out. I'll try it with Mk82 bombs now.

We need a revolving mount... I know it can be made with IR, but it would be a pain to operate.

Btw, what is pilot assistant?

Well, not hard but tedious to watch if the correct rocket is in the bottom position. And impossible to drop bombs, as rotation and detachments would need to be quick and synchronized. You won't be able to drop them manually at 3 bombs per second or so.

Additional plugin could be made to adress that tho.

Thanks, I neede dsomething dditional that can handle FAR. Mechjeb is no friend of FAR.

Edited by sashan

Well, not hard but tedious to watch if the correct rocket is in the bottom position. And impossible to drop bombs, as rotation and detachments would need to be quick and synchronized. You won't be able to drop them manually at 3 bombs per second or so.

Additional plugin could be made to adress that tho.

Thanks, I neede dsomething dditional that can handle FAR. Mechjeb is no friend of FAR.

If you cover part of your bomb bay with structural panels then just set the thing to rotate, the bombs dropping will be managed by the BDA module that prevents you from dropping bombs in your bomb bay, without opening the doors.

IR allows you to pre-set positions that you can use action groups ato move between the positions. I built a rotating bomb bay, two groups for moving to the next or previous preset, and the rest as drop commands