[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

They vary, and there's no fixed range, it's all kinetic energy. If the target if much higher than launcher then the range is really small, and vice versa. YOu can test it, just fire them at a target far far away.

Cheers Pal, I will do some testing.

Is there ever any reason to choose one air to ground missile over the other or are all stats the same and its just the model that changes?

I have a suggestion for new RCS model.

How about determining Radar Signature strength by outline of rendered texture or by difference of number of pixels at high resolution and low resolution, like (pixels of 64x64)-16x(pixels of 16x16)? It would work more realistic.

And I think AWACS and two-seat planes should have some advantages for radar control and datalink than single-seat planes.

Cheers Pal, I will do some testing.

Is there ever any reason to choose one air to ground missile over the other or are all stats the same and its just the model that changes?

The Maverick has bigger payload and range, the Hellfire has higher speed and smaller size, making it a more difficult target for AMS

I prefer Hellfires because I can carry more of them and be more versatile, you can make a rack that holds 6 very easy with some of the structural parts. But if you want to take out something from further away with a bigger boom, the maverick might be better.

Do you think you could change the guard mode system to be turret-specific, so we can right click turrets and toggle guards mode for each of them individually?

This would be great! I hate when 4 goal keepers all try to shoot down one god damn hellfire, while five other missiles are coming toward the vessel. Maybe if there was a way to assign weapons to different managers.

Also what's going to be next after new targeting system? Better AI, new parts or something else?

Infrared scopes next? like those on SU-27, MiG-29 and Typoon?

The technical term is IRST (infrared search and track), and is really only useful for long range air to air. The targeting pod would be used for A2G. That being said, the real use for IRSTs is for long range detection of enemy aircraft while staying EM silent. That's because turning on your radar instantly tells anyone near by that your in the area, as almost all military aircraft from fighters to cargo planes these days have RWRs of some fashion. This is especially true for ELINT aircraft like the RC-135W/V Rivet Joint, which is designed for this exact purpose. Now the issue here is KSP's physics range, since you have to start all the aircraft on the ground, and, at the moment, can't create flight plans for the AI (that plus Kerbin side would be really handy). Because of that, most combat will be within ~10km of KSC, rendering IRSTs useless, as at that point you aren't being stealthy, because your in visual range, so you may as well go full blast with radar power and kill your enemy ASAP.

Anyhow, once longer range combat becomes viable, IRSTs would be great.

Also, an IRST pod ala the Lockheed Legion Pod would be cool, as well as a simple ball to tack on to the nose of jets

Wow, nice, now we need a functioning ball camera instead of that RCS tank.

I'm now working on welded-parts destroyer. So far I was unable to make it stay afloat (114t), but at least it looks nice.

Oh, and we need some kind of scenario editor. SO far I use Hyperedit to position ground vehicles, but it is a pain to guess coordinates each time. Its "landing" feature works very well tho.

I do it too, but still it is a lot of hassle and often requires game restart due to amount of scene changes and memory crash.

Btw, here's what I've got so far :P Nothing near a copy, but something alike, KSP style. I just needed a missile and CIWS platform with some style.

gogpauN.png

Edited by sashan

My one looks more badass :P And it has missile silos, which look just great.

Yep, I know about that pack. Maybe I will set out and make some parts for it, only I can't export.

The problem I've found with vertical launch systems with ships is they launch the part count through the roof, making my poor laptop whine and plead in pain as it attempts to render 300+ parts plus whatever else I have out there

Already page 420? :wink:

Now, I need a useful comment.

I tested a full reinstall of KSP, because of my turret problem, it didn't fixed it. Still no AI battle.

Sorry, just wait till the update and try again.

A couple of suggestions:

-snip-

I haven't decided for chaff yet, but for simplicity's sake I'll probably just make it behave like flares.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a DJM to the radar module.

The boresight FOV is configurable in the radar part module, so ACM could be added to certain radars by just increasing the FOV.

Scan sweep FOV, TWS capability, and other variables are also configurable.

Also, air-spawning AI would be absolutely astonishing. And being able to spawn squadrons at say 20km out would be mind blowing.

Do I remember you saying there would be a wingman mode for AI? If not, can that be a thing? Where it tries to maintain a certain distance to you and such, but in combat will assist you and then return to it's position if able?

Air spawning and related features would be considered when its time to create contracts and/or missions. (Which would come after AI has been fleshed out)

Wingman and related features would come during the AI development time.

+1, I hate needing to sit through tons of loading screens and manually move each plane off the runway - also I found there are small bumps in the KSC plain that blow my aircraft to smithereens if they do not take off fast enough so I can only make a couple of my aircraft enemies. Also the AI does not seem to dodge missiles at all, let alone make any effort in shooting me down, even WITH guard mode enabled. Then again maybe I am just too good for the AI but I think it is the former. :(

See above. The AI should dodge and shoot back if they are on the opposite team, have proper weapons, and know you exist. Turn field of view and range all the way up and try again.

Quick question bugging me here

is there a way to make multiple weapon managers with different groups... say a fire group for defending a vessel against projectiles while you attack with other stuff?

again just a quick question, other than that I love this mod!

Do you think you could change the guard mode system to be turret-specific, so we can right click turrets and toggle guards mode for each of them individually?

That's been requested and I already said I'd see what I can do when I go improving guard mode and AI.

Right now all my focus is on targeting and detection systems.

Hi, I need a bit help with using the weapon manager. I'm using the osx version of ksp 1.0.4, the weapon manager is set to armed, weapon is selected to hellfires, and target is in a different team, but the hellfires just won't launch when i try to fire them. They work though if I do it manually one by one though. What might have gone wrong?

This can be caused by the clearance detection thinking the missile will hit yourself when deployed. You can disable the feature in the settings window (alt-B).

BahamutoD, i'm a fan of your work :)

There was a little issue with BDArmory, namely it didn't allow for firing gun turrets from action groups. So yesterday i made a dirty little hack in order to let me fire guns via the fire action of the weapon manager. I made it to fire a lengthy burst since it doesn't seem to recognize when a AG button is held down. Here it is https://github.com/BahamutoD/BDArmory/compare/master...DaMichel:fire-gun-from-wp-man

No pull request because it's such a dirty hack you probably want to do it differently anyway. Is there a chance we could get fire via AG buttons proper?

Why do you need a fire action group when you can reassign the main fire key to any button?

Edited by BahamutoD

-snip-

O-O That was one of the best battles I have ever seen in KSP. Also glad to know that someone else knows what Battlestations Pacific music is, was getting worried everyone had forgotten. Love the American tunes from that game.

I haven't decided for chaff yet, but for simplicity's sake I'll probably just make it behave like flares.

That might be the easiest, but chaff isn't like a flare in that it only affects missiles. It is used to foil radar tracking and break lock ons as well - it's how SARH missiles are foiled. This is one of the things DCS gets really really wrong (at least since the last time I played it... I prefer DCS WW2 stuff personally).

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a DJM to the radar module.

This reads like a few things got jumbled up. The DJM (deceptive jammer) should kill a lock on forcing the craft to go back to search mode to reacquire and get a lock-on all over again. Obviously within a certain range the radar burns through the deceptive signals making it useless close in. The side benefit is that it helps with the limited ranges the aircraft have to operate in.

The boresight FOV is configurable in the radar part module, so ACM could be added to certain radars by just increasing the FOV. Scan sweep FOV, TWS capability, and other variables are also configurable.

Sweet. Greatly appreciated. I'm seriously debating creating a stockalike Red vs Blue A2A mod based around BDA. I've already got a handful of utility parts partly modelled - including a LAU-142/A style vertical eject launcher for F22/F35 bays :cool: - but I need to free up disk space for Unity so I can (hopefully) finish them. If you've got a similar RvB mod idea I'll shelve it. Don't want to step on people's toes.

I see. I was thinking that for chaff, it would be like flares except that instead of accidently locking onto chaff, it would just break the lock. The radars use the same locking code that missiles do, so it would affect the radars the same way.

Anyways, here's some tests with the RWR:

I see. I was thinking that for chaff, it would be like flares except that instead of accidently locking onto chaff, it would just break the lock. The radars use the same locking code that missiles do, so it would affect the radars the same way.

Gotcha. That could work.

Anyways, here's some tests with the RWR:

Sweet! Nicely done, sir! Now I don't feel so bad about making a RWR part. :D

HgL9ILQ.jpg

You guys need more and bigger guns on your ships, not fancy rockets. Look at my ships. :sticktongue:

That is the video I watched at work the day before yesterday. I've thought about making a ship out of wings and structural panels right after that. :P Only I've used welding after that.